Real Estate in the DR and it's Recovery?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
In todays DR1 News:
Conditions exist for peso recovery
Investment banker Bear Stearns published a Sovereign Latin America Update, which brings optimistic tidings for the ailing Dominican peso and the economy in general. The report estimates that the peso has recovered 5% of its value in the past month, and that the economy may have already hit its lowest point, setting the scene for a possible upturn.
The US-based institution awards the DR a Ba2/B+ rating, and attributes the peso?s recent upward trend to the imminent IMF agreement, the restructuring of troubled banks Baninter, Bancr?dito, and Mercantil; US$1-billion CD issuance to soak up excess peso liquidity; increased tourism flows; robust remittances; higher exports and lower imports.
The report says that tourism for the first half of the year has increased 21% compared to the same period last year, translating to 1.7 million foreign tourists. Tourist revenues are cited as having expanded by more than 18%, from US$1.36 billion in the first half of 2002 to US$1.61 billion for the same period in 2003.
Remittances were up 2.8%, to US$1.08 billion from US$1.05 billion in the first half of 2002. Bear Stearns says that remittances have become a key contributor to the country?s external accounts and represented a vital source of foreign exchange during the crisis period.
Likewise, exports grew by 8.6% for the first half of 2003 to US$2.8 billion. Free zone exports were up 5.7% and non-free zone exports 21.7%, boosted by the weaker peso. Imports contracted 17.2% during the same period, causing the merchandise trade deficit for the first half year to fall to US$1.2 billion for the first half of 2003 from US$1.9 billion for the same period in 2002.
-=-=-=-=

I quoted it since it won't be around tomorrow and this thread may still be.

I think the Peso will NOT recover further and maybe even hit a new low against the dollar but after the economy will move in a positive direction. In my opinion as the tourism and economy of this country goes, so goes Real Estate.

This can possibly be the bottom but, I also bought Intel at 29 thinking it couldnt get lower and it was such a steal. Hitting the exact bottom is a tough guess but when things look the worst may be a good sign.

Escott

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I will "Get-In-Line" behind Scott on this!!!

Its like Bear Sterns is always :A Day Late,and A Dollar Short"!!!!!! If you read the DR1 News Story directly after the "Bear/Sterns"= "BS"!...story,you will see the Dominican,more accurate forcast!!!

I use my own "System" to tell how the Dominican Economy" is doing.

# of calls from girls who need money per day!

There are some other "parameters" that I use in the equation,like # of calls before 10 am,# of calls between 4:45 and 5 pm,# of Sat/Sun calls,# of daily calls,and relationship to the 15th and 30th of the month.(Dominican Paydays!)But the "Trend" is evident with just # of calls per day!!

Calls are "UP,economy is "Down"!!!!!!!!!!! Look for the peso to "weaken",vis a vi the US Dollar!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCccris CCCCCColon;)

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
having worked in the industry for a few years and for Bear Stearns I can tell you that the company exists for only one reason: to take your money.

If BS says the peso is strengthening, you can bet it is because they are trying to dump whatever holdings they have in it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Would that be considered

Insider trading????

I never even try to think what will happen to the poor peso...

It does not have many friends and in the end, there is not much I can do about it....

Thanks Shadley for the tip....

HB

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
If anyone knows the slightest thing about Forex (foreign money exchange dealing) or Stock price forecasts then you would know that the Peso devaluation is still in a downtrend which does not get reversed just because it dips for a couple of weeks. Price trends do not get from point A to point B in a straight line. Of course most of us here already know that!

I just plotted a graph for the year using central bank data and drew some retracement lines and forecast lines etc using well known methods for predicting trends and it comes as know surprise that the next move is a swing up to 38 Peso. (Street prices will be much higher of course) To break the current trend we need the Peso back to 26 to a dollar to break the current cycle and I cant see that happening just now as the signing of the IMF agreement will be stalled almost every month till Xmas or maybe even till near election time as the government will not cut back on their own spending.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
However, Escott's main point is true. You can't predict a bottom, but as has been true in the stock market for the last year, we are certainly in the neighborhood of a bottom and now is the time to pick up bargains. Buy low, sell high - something that seems to run contrary to our emotions. Bear Stearns is another story. - D

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Shadley,

If your own figures are different than Bolt's, why don't you share them?

Danny W,

It's hotly disputed whether to "buy low and sell high" is the road to wealth. Many successful investors say that the secret is to buy high and sell astronomically. Furthermore, there's lots of evidence that buying "low" (or any other way) only works 1/3 of the time. To have success, it has to be combined with something else, such as "then hold forever if necessary".

Finally, are you saying that the stock market has bottomed? Speak right into the microphone.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Danny W said:
Read my lips - 8/24/05: DOW 12500, NAS 3000. - D
I'm furiously making notes in the dreaded spiral notebook. Also setting my alarm for 8/24/05.
May I assume you're using Fibonacci retracement to speculate as to your predicted levels?
Long time trader from 133 countries including DR.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Andy A,

My rough numbers indicate support at 31.5 and below that 28 with the resistance levels at 40. As I said very similar to Bolts numbers

Stephen

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
We must all be wrong then.

About a week ago in another thread I predicted a range of 28 to 41, with an eventual breakout through 41.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
AlaninDR said:
I'm furiously making notes in the dreaded spiral notebook. Also setting my alarm for 8/24/05.
May I assume you're using Fibonacci retracement to speculate as to your predicted levels?
Long time trader from 133 countries including DR.

No, they are Firoucci numbers. But just a few observations. Since tourism is golden egg for the DR, isn't the weak peso a benefit? With the price of labor so low, shouldn't manufacturing and exports be going through the roof? And since Escott's real estate ventures are all Gringo based, why shouldn't he be optimistic? From what I hear, high end real estate is moving very well.

A few points about the stock market. The US has just gone through the triple whammy: Bust Bubble, 9/11 and Enron (corporate governance). There's tons of money going or ready to go into the market, the economy is finally ready to take off, broadband has finally come of age - Ebay and Amazon are no longer novelties - business is on the verge of wholesale upgrades, and we are just in the earliest stages. To be honest, I was being conservative. I think we are going to see part 2 of the bubble. - D

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Never heard of Firoucci and not a large believer in Fibonacci or Eliot Waves. I stick to options and utilize most strategy plays based on my personal outlook (which is mid term positive). The 50 dma above the 150 dma with earnings date noted for less potential conflict. Perhaps i'm a simpleton but it's been working well for years now. A lot of 2006 LEAPS are offered now and i'm legging in with spreads.
No doubt in my mind that the market bubble is building. Since I have no personal requirement to make maximum profit from my ventures I leg in to trades and investments. Call it averaging or cost blending. DR real estate may have seen the bottom but i'm not concerned either way. It probably will always have intrinsic value.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
AlaninDR, 50 dma above 150 dna sounds like a good strategy . How do time your entry points? Are you buying/selling LEAPS? Just curious to see your market entry/exit strayegies.

I also agree to a certain extent on the more esoteric technical indicators. the only people who consistently make money from them are those writing books and giving seminars.

As for the DR RE....who knows where the bottom is...but when i bought investment property many years ago...one of my rules was to make sure the rental income was far greater than the expenses....even accounting for a 20% drop in rents....if you buy where foreigners go, where it does not depend on the local income...you shouhd be OK.

the biggest risk in the DR is political...and maybe personal safety if things continue to detiorate.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Mondongo
I have a multi monitor tradestation at my home in Juan Dolio. Soon as I get possession of my condo in Sosua i'll move it there so if you're in the area, feel free to stop in.
The 50 over 150 dma is only a general trend to examine for potential plays. My timing is the simplest possible method. Over 90% of the time I let my options expire because i'm the writer. Only on LEAP calls will I ever roll out. If I get "put", that's a leg in and something to sell against. I never sell LEAPS as I consider it gambling on a hand too distant and the tv (time value) seldom allows more than 15% return. I buy dim (deep in the money) calls and sell near term otm (out of the money) calls against it. Very little margin required on those trades but they have the potential of 2-5% monthly returns. It really only works well with low delta equities like diamonds (they have been my favorite). The strategy is that I take what the market will easily give without me working too hard. I trade for several people and doubt there will be another trade until Sept 22 (options expire Sept 20). I still daytrade some (news stories or the futures screaming one way or another) but it's from boredom and nothing else. Obligated risk money is +42% for the year to date and +28% overall. Those figures have remained essentially the same since the mid 90's so i'll stick with what's working so far.