I feel so bad ... but so good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
Cris and I decided that it would be almost impossible to match the fantastic time we had in DR last year, so rather than risk having a disappointing vacation in contrast, we decided to go to Cuba this year instead! ( I feel like we have betrayed all the lovely memories we have of all the lovely people we met in DR... but .. we have resolved to try a different place ... if for no other reason than to reinforce our love for the DR that we both felt on or first visit!) We are taking Spanish lessons like crazy because our ultimate goal is stiill to buy a home in DR and live there and communicate with the people we both fell in love with there!

jaymo517

Oct 4, 2003
Cuba, you say

I'm American & I think we are still unable to legally go there, but would love to go there. I've often seen flights to Cuba & thought I should take the plunge, I wouldn't want to get into trouble.

Where are you from?......:beard:

jaymo517

Oct 4, 2003
ok

Now I see, for Americans its still illegal to go to Cuba, or if you get caught. Some friends of mine took the chance & got away with it, but I have the kind of luck, I would get caught.

My girlfriends father is from Cuba & she cannot even visit, so I know it would be trouble for me.

Where did you stay on DR? North Coast?

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
Puerto Plata, Riu Bachata... Had such a stupendous time, great time, every adjective I can think of time.... so much so that I want to live the rest of my live there!

jaymo517

Oct 4, 2003
I know the feeling, I've been trying to talk my freinds into buying property there. We stayed in POP & Santiago and alot of towns in between. I figured we paid as much to have bought a house or apartment for the money we spent on hotels & villas, but they won't bite.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself & enjoy yourselves, and don't forget to talk some dance classes too.

I live in NYC, with a large Hispanic population here & I could swear the dance alot better in DR then here, I'm already taking lessons....:cool:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Keith&Cris said:
, we decided to go to Cuba this year instead!

Shame on you! May I suggest some other destinations?

North Korea
Zimbabwe
Syria
Libya
Chechnya
Mynammar

All cheap place to visit at the expense of the Local Population.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Huh?

Keith&Cris said:
so rather than risk having a disappointing vacation in contrast... if for no other reason than to reinforce our love for the DR that we both felt on or first visit!....so much so that I want to live the rest of my live there
Have to echo Tony: Cuba? That's your tit tat, but why apologetic to the point of being maudlin? A cynic might even be [falsely] led to smell hypocrisy.

Think it's great to get about and sample other places, but your stated logic escapes me. Of course, not that that amounts to more than a hill of beans [or less] as I'm not paying your way.

Curious, P

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Huh?

pasha said:
Have to echo Tony: Cuba? That's your tit tat, but why apologetic to the point of being maudlin? A cynic might even be [falsely] led to smell hypocrisy.

Think it's great to get about and sample other places, but your stated logic escapes me. Of course, not that that amounts to more than a hill of beans [or less] as I'm not paying your way.

Curious, P

Pasha, you do have a way with words...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I know you can go to cuba via santo domingo, jamaica, mexico, canada and various other locations where the miami cubans have no influence. People are wonderful there and its an experience that you will not forget. They don't stamp your passport so you won't have to declare it to the american authorities. This is the information I have received from americans who have been there.
I think by traveling to cuba you can really help their economy by spending foreign currency there.
If the majority of americans were given the true facts behind american foreign policy against cuba, most will not not stand for it. The whole blockade and the false lies you hear about cuba are coming from miami cubans who would rather starve all cubans to death than to see castro live through his life or finish his political career.
People in cuba are suffering partly from castro rule but the major hit is coming from the embargo (enforced by the miami cuban influence). Most cubans live in abject poverty conditions and see no light at the end of the tunnel. If you are a non american and can travel to cuba, then go see it now before castro falls. An experience you will never forget.

P.S. Forget about zimbabwe, libya, north korea etc etc. The airplane ticket alone will kill you.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Been there, done that.

An average American citizen, can not go directly from the U.S.
unless you obtain permission from the government, 1st.
You can get permission for a variety a reasons, it is not impossible.

It is easier to travel from another country into Cuba.
And there is a 50/50 chance that your passport will be stamped. Mine was, and I have not been asked about the stamps in it, yet.

U.S. greenbacks are welcomed every where, you go!

Thanks

Tim H.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you ask them, they will not stamp the passport. But make sure you ask them not to stamp it or you may get stamped.

Status
Not open for further replies.