Airport transfers

sdoel

Oct 10, 2003
Our first trip to DR. Just realized we might have to pay $80 each way to get from the Santo Domingo Airport to our hotel in Bayahibe. There were no flights into La Romana. We booked a package that had transfers, however, the transfers are only valid to and from the La Romana Airport. We read about about city buses, which we are willing to take, however, they stop running at 9pm. Our flight comes in at 9:45 pm. This is very frustrating thinking we were planning an economical vacation to find out that it could be so expensive for a taxi.:mad: Does anyone have any other alternatives that might help us out?

sdoel

Oct 10, 2003
That was my point, I was under the understanding the taxi rate is $80 one way. Are you suggesting it is less?

seedupe

Oct 14, 2003
airport transportation

Hi there. I am looking for the same info. I hear that Taxi RS is the most reputable and it is indeed $80 one way from Santo Domingo to Bayahibe. I hope someone can offer other suggestions.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Come On Now..........

seedupe said:
Hi there. I am looking for the same info. I hear that Taxi RS is the most reputable and it is indeed $80 one way from Santo Domingo to Bayahibe. I hope someone can offer other suggestions.

For a trip costing thousands of $ to have several people pay $80 for a private car is not expensive. If you want to take a mix of gua-gua's all night instead, if they are even running at 9 p.m. which is doubtful, go ahead.

Consider the distance and the comparable price of an airport limo in N. America and this is peanuts and shouldn't ruin a vacation that hasn't started yet.

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
I have to agree with Grand Pollo in Boca Chica...$80.00 for however many people you can fit in the taxi is cheep considering it's about an hour and a half to 45 drive from SDQ to Bayahibe. Or look at it this way, if there's 4 of you, it's only 20 p/p or 40 r/t. Have a few beers or a bottle of wine on your way in..relax...don't get all stressed out.

Why don't you check with the hotel, they may even provide you with transportation at a cheeper rate.

sdoel

Oct 10, 2003
This trip is not costing thousands of dollars nor are there several people going. $160 is a lot of money to some people. This board is certainly not as helpful I would have liked. I was asking for alternate recommendations, not the negative responses or comments to being stressed. Thanks anyway.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Your frustation..........

Your frustation is understandable, but, they are NO other alternatives.
$80 usd for aprox 2 hours drive in a A/C 7 passangers van, is reasonable IMHO. Don't forget driver has to come back to Santo Domingo to his family after he will drop you in Bayahibe, no way he will get a fare on his way back, so late at night.

Next time do more planing ahead.

WebDev

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Options

sdoel said:
This trip is not costing thousands of dollars nor are there several people going. $160 is a lot of money to some people. This board is certainly not as helpful I would have liked. I was asking for alternate recommendations, not the negative responses or comments to being stressed. Thanks anyway.

1. Burros
2. Walking and/or skatebaording, maybe wind aided skateboarding
3. Hitchiking (dangerous though)
4. Swimming along the coast (hitch a ride on a porpoise maybe)

Look, there are NO buses, no magic fairy will teleport you there, you can ask the hotel to send something which won't be any bargain either, or you can buy a tour next time that includes ground transfers (or fly to an airport where you stay) or you can take a cab. Once again someone who posts a question and wants THEIR answer instead of THE answer.

I take a taxi a lousy 8 km to BC from the SDQ airport and it is US$20 with tip. I take a car service at home to Toronto airport that takes 12 minutes and is CDN$35. So do I do 1-4 above? Complain? No.

sdoel

Oct 10, 2003
Good suggestions.
What should I look for in a burro?
Can I pick one up at the airport, or are they available in the wild?
Do they kick?
What features should I look for in a burro?
Will it know the way to the hotel?
Do they understand English or should I try my Spanish?

Thanks so much for everyones input in my quest to get from SDQ to Bayahibe.

I hope I find a burro big enough for my dive suitcase. :)

Last edited:

bvrabel

Nov 3, 2004
how was the trip/transportation?

We leave on Friday to the DR and are faced with the same situation. Our hotel is the Hilton in Bayahibe and we fly into SDQ late in the evening 9:45. What did you end up doing and how much did it cost you? Thanks Hope you had a good trip if you have already taken it!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
bvrabel said:
We leave on Friday to the DR and are faced with the same situation. Our hotel is the Hilton in Bayahibe and we fly into SDQ late in the evening 9:45. What did you end up doing and how much did it cost you? Thanks Hope you had a good trip if you have already taken it!

This tread was from last year but here is an option you might want to try. They do Tourist Transfers from the airports to the hotels. They usually take care of groups but I also seen them take individuals and transport them with the groups. Good luck ;)

Servicios Tur?stico Gonz?lez, C por A
4 No 27 La Isabelita
Santo Domingo
(809) 766-4826

s.t.gonzalez@verizon.net.do

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
juanita said:
This tread was from last year but here is an option you might want to try. They do Tourist Transfers from the airports to the hotels. They usually take care of groups but I also seen them take individuals and transport them with the groups. Good luck ;)

Servicios Tur?stico Gonz?lez, C por A
4 No 27 La Isabelita
Santo Domingo
(809) 766-4826

s.t.gonzalez@verizon.net.do

You should consider renting a car. It's less than 80$. Or take the public busses. Good luck.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
stallion said:
You should consider renting a car. It's less than 80$. Or take the public busses. Good luck.

:tired: At 9.45pm, I would never take a public bus in a country I don't know much about! And drive, even worst!!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
stallion said:

Well that's true except no it really isn't. You are not likely to find a drop off in La Romana so it is $50 a day or so times 7 days plus ITBIS so say $400, so you pay more than double a taxi (who does the work and knows the way, usually) and have a mostly useless car in an AI which you won't want or need. And absent some experience driving in the DR, leaving the airport at 9:45 at night to drive there is plain dumb as is for most AI type tourist driving in the daytime, 50 yards.

Flying into La Romana would have made a lot more sense.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Rock and A Hard Place.

Sdoel,

Because your flight arrives in the evening you are caught between a rock and a hard place as far as cheap transport is concerned. There is no cheap transport to Bayahibe in the night hours. Also, the service of a rental car is suicide at night due to the poor conditions of the road, lack of proper signage, lack of lighting, possibilty of driver being unfamiliar with the road, and reckless dominican road culture.

You could go to Sto Dgo to overnight, then go to Bayahibe. Yet, the monies you pay for transit and overnight for that option could be used for a direct taxi transit from SDQ to Bayahibe. US $80 for a taxi at this time is your only option. The rate should cover up to four persons and split four ways it is $20 pp. You could ask other passengers on you flight to the island if they are going to Bayahibe and it is possible some are, you could go as a group to share costs.

Regards,
PJT

seedupe

Oct 14, 2003
The transportation was great!

bvrabel said:

My trip was 11/03 and I used Taxi RS. It was $80 one way (and it was only my husband and I), and I was reluctant. But it was probably the best money I ever spent. Rafael, the owner, was our driver. He was great. He pointed out all of the sites along the way, gave us history of the country and even stopped for cold beer twice. After seeing the roads and the drivers on the roads, I would opt for a taxi instead of trying to navigate the roads yourself. I was completely at ease and I had confidence that he would be there to pick us up at the end of our stay, which he was. He was nothing but accommodating. It was a perfect way to be introduced to the Dominican Republic. We made the arrangements ahead of time and paid via paypal. The website is http://www.dominicantaxi.com/Rates.html.

bvrabel

Nov 3, 2004
seedupe said:
My trip was 11/03 and I used Taxi RS. It was $80 one way (and it was only my husband and I), and I was reluctant. But it was probably the best money I ever spent. Rafael, the owner, was our driver. He was great. He pointed out all of the sites along the way, gave us history of the country and even stopped for cold beer twice. After seeing the roads and the drivers on the roads, I would opt for a taxi instead of trying to navigate the roads yourself. I was completely at ease and I had confidence that he would be there to pick us up at the end of our stay, which he was. He was nothing but accommodating. It was a perfect way to be introduced to the Dominican Republic. We made the arrangements ahead of time and paid via paypal. The website is http://www.dominicantaxi.com/Rates.html.

Thank you very much!! This is a great option - taxi is the way to go and to have it prearranged is perfect! :)