last minute suggestions for K1Visa petition

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
Hello,
I am filing my petiton for alien fiancee on Tuesday with the local INS service center. I've prepared myself for this process by spending these last 4 months reading everything I can get my hands on (searched this site, BCIS, other websites) If anyone has any last suggestions before I drop it off at my post office with a requested return/receipt, please send them my way. I've included photos of us, plane tickets, phone bills, emails, letters I sent to him and letters he sent to me, and western union receipts...all copies of course! I've also included a cover letter to help explain how we met and the relationship we now have...etc. I know one of the big things I need is patience...the service center I am to use is in Vermont, have heard they are one of the faster ones. Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

Apr 26, 2002
Sounds like you've read up on how to do it well. My only advise is that you send periodic follow-up letters to the INS Service Center after, say, six weeks have passed.

As you will find out, the telephone at the INS Service Center is taken off the hook by staff at 8:30 a.m. and not put back on the hook until 4:30 P.M., when the non-message-taking answering machine takes over. Despite this, after you submit your application, the receipt letter that you will receive will urge you to call the number for status updates or questions. I found the whole thing rather Kafkaesque.

For this reason, and because they are overwhelmed with files, periodic follow-up letters are advisable.

P.S. Your user name begs the question: Are you an attorney?

Last edited:

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
Thank you for that suggestion, it is one I have yet to hear...yet a really good idea. And, to answer your question, I took the Massachusetts bar exam in July, I should be receiving my results in the beginning of November...pending good news...I'll be an attorney then (hence the "2b" in my username). Thank you again.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I hope you pass the bar on this first try. Seems strange that your nearest service center is in VT. The service centers should be placed where they are needed. Just make sure all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted on your forms.

Also, contact Senator Kennedy's office in Boston at 2400 JFK Building, Boston, MA 02203, ph. 617/565-3170, for assistance or if you should run into any problems with the service center red tape. Kennedy is the ranking Democrat on the Immigration, Border Security and Citizenship Committee. His staff has performed well for my family members. Regards, PJT

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Yes the Vermonth center is by far the fastest. The last K-1s for the DR that went through Vermont was about 3 weeks total time. The last one from our group that completed with a successfull interview was about 3.5 months from start to finish, using the Vermont center.

You can reach the group by subscribing to the following email group. Everyone on the list is either K-1 or K-3. Lots of info in the group.

K-1visa_DR-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Jerry

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
Thank you. Yes, PJT, I hope I pass the first time too. Thank you Jerry for the yahoo group address. I will be sure to take a look at the posts there. When you say it took 3.5 months from start to finish, you mean from the time it was received in Vermont until the visa was granted in Santo Domingo? I do realize this is after we go through the interview process in Santo Domingo...correct? Thanks again.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Yes that is correct. You normally receive the visa about 2-3 days after the interview. I am not sure of his exact dates but it was fairly quick and less than 4 months. There is another lady doing it now and Vermont was finished in 2 weeks. That is the fastest I have seen them in several years. She still needs to wait for the consulate now, but it does speed up the process.

Jerry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not that I really give a hoot nor should you

But did you read the Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for getting involved with a Dominican?? It is in the "Men are from Mars" section of the board, below General Stuff....

I can't imagine what a soon to be lawyer would find in an activities worker! This is a person without a Visa to travel to Hait? let alone any civilized country!. And you are thinking of marrying him?? Girl you had better think and read some more....

I realize that this is the Grinch speaking, but I'll bet your parents and friends will tell you the same thing. Oh I wish CCCCC would chime in here!! Or Trina, who was lucky....but knows some true stories....

You are going to take a Dominican male to the Boston area where there is a large Dominican population? Highly questionable, unless you have a fishing lure attached to his Jolly Roger, to haul him back every now and then!!

Why so negative?

It's just the voice of experience and wisdom speaking....for example": Why the Western Union receipts? Sending money for operations to family members? Or "just to tide him over?" Or to "finish school"?" Uh-huh....

Well you will have to do this on your own, I guess, but just so you know, you can get divorced here very cheaply, and he doesn't even have to be here!! There were three of them in the paper yesterday.....

HB, Resident Curmudgeon

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
a ha! HillBilly assuming...

hillbilly,
i had western union receipts too.. she never said if he was sending her money or she sent to him... my honey sent me $500 to help me with a plane ticket to come see him.
i noticed you automatically assumed she was sending money to him..