Fishing in DR.

Dave93

Oct 17, 2003
Hi all! I am visiting DR in november 03. and I am a keen fisherman
any advise on where to go? cost of boats ect ect? will be staying at Casa Marina reef resort..
Thanks Dave.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Did you mean deep-sea fishing or like bottom fishing?

The lack of marinas and harbours on the North Coast make this a difficult task. You can charter deep sea fishing vessels out of Puerto Plata port, the boats are not in very good condition so don't expect much of a boat. Make sure you go early in the morning because the water usually gets rough around noon (Its been unually calm lately).

Ask around your hotel, maybe the excursion desks of the tour operators, I'm sure they will hook you up with someone so you dont have to go to the port to set things up yourself.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Try the Aqua Adventure guy on Sosua Bay - 571 1868 or cell 223 5068 He's been catching some decent fish out at sea.
The POP boats are not in good condition as Conchman points out. If you really want a fun filled risky day out try talking to the local fishermen?
Fishing here is not what it should be, either out at sea or from the beach!
Peter

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Dave,

What kind of Fishing? Off-shore? Bottom? inshore? Fresh?
For Off-shore the Sousa,PP, Caberete area is not the best. The best action for that can be found off the eastcoast, Punta Cana, Cabeza de Toro Area.
For inshore action(Tarpon) head West to the Montecristi Area. Or east to Samana bay. For much better inshore action(Tarpon, Snook, Bonefish) you have to hit the South Coast.
Bottom Fishing is nothing to write home about anywhere in the RD.
There is suprising good Fresh-water fishing in some of the various reservoirs in the interior of the country.