Microenterprise strategies

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
Howdee everybody,

I'm trying to connect with dominicans or forum members who may work with or interact with rural commmunities in the DR and whoo have experience in business. I plan to work within rural communities in the sustainable development field,especiallly in the area of microenterprises,as one initiative to help reduce poverty in those areas.

At the moment, I am trying to work on a strategy for implimenting microenterprises in a way that ensures that the rural population has as much decision and implimentation power as the external "experts".
It is with this strategy that i am having probs with. If I were in the DR it would be easier because I would sit down with community members and have a rap session on how best to get stuff done, but I'm not there yet(many set backs). However, I'm always a believe that even if a plan can't be implimented in its full capacity at the present time, that doesnt mean that there arent things that can be done to help get the ball rolling and help make the real implimentation of the plan more effective by the time all the chips are in place. So I turn to one ofthe best alternatives : public forums, and the wisdom that exists within :)

And so, to my point: Because there are no set rules regarding how to strategise for implimenting a microenterprise project, often times whatis needed is a rap session kind of setting where ideas are thrown around and little by llittle a strategy is evolved.So I'd like to invite any interested persons who may want to throw around a few ideas that could help develop such a strategy. And perhaps you may end up being sufficiently interested to the point of wanting to work within the communnity itself, which, by the way, is extrememly fulfillling.

Now i realise i have left out a lot of information that might make all this clearer. Sustainable development isn't asy to explain in one sitting.. It is such a multifauceted field. So, just email me or reply to the post and little by little you'll get a better understanding.

Thanx in advance.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't know exactly what you are looking for but I have a big mouth and a lot of business experience so I would be glad to sit around and listen and pop in if something comes to mind worth sharing.

I am just a lowly business man from way back and have no experience in the social services end of things.

Regards,
Scott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Microenterprises are interesting and particularly women's enterprises in rural communities. I am happy to talk about this. I am in business.

I know one Dominican lady that has a flower business that would qualify under a microenterprise type setting and there are many Dominicans with microenterprises that go to market with the help of a strong co-operative that I know well. Whether the microenterprise model will work for Dominicans as a group, I don't know. Somehow it seems as if one needs a certain mindset or value set within the microenterprise group. Sustainable development is not really a strong point here.

But it could be a good thing to think about this and talk about the issues. May I ask whether you have experience in the Dominican Republic at this stage?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can put you in touch with organisations promoting and supporting this sort of work, if you like. Please send me a PM.

Chiri

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Centro Dominicana De Desarrollo Inc. (CDD) is an organization located in Santo Domingo that works with very poor barrios lending money to individuals to help support the start-up of a microenterprise. Amazing organization. PM me for contact info.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Welcome!!

Hi, I'm glad you are around. I have expecience in the field. I worked in a project financed by the IDB, helping women in the poor neighborhoods. The target were women with small business, and the focus of the project was giving them financial and technical aid. The main objetive was to create in those women a commitment towards the rigth management of their business, so they could be able to make them grow. They had access to borrow money at very low interest rates!. Was a good experience, most of those women were very responsible and trustworthy, since the delinquency rate was very, very low! They really tried to pay on time, because they knew otherwise the only person that would lend them money was the loan shark of the neighborhood, at the modicum 20%...MONTHLY. But for me, the most rewarding aspect was helping those women thru education. They are street wise, but many times that is not enough to make a small business grow!
I could help you with some insights of dominican culture in very poor neighborhoods, since I have first hand experience in that matter!:cool:
Ok, you all see, dominicans helping dominicans! Could you believe that?!!!;)

Last edited:

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
poverty and microenterprise, prepare for a long read :)

Hey, what excellent responses !!!!Thanx everybody.

Well, lemme first introduce mmyself generally. My name is Handel Callender, and I live in Barbados, but I spent some time in the DR last year.
We were volunteering in a rural community in the Monte Plata region. After a while, I started to feel as tho there was so much more to be doing, and I decided, after I got back home, to try to work on some kind of initiative that is based on empowering local ppl in poverty stricken areas in the DR.
One of the most basic ways to help ppl in poverty is to help them earn their way out of it.
However, I don't take poverty to mean just a lack of access to financial assets. My definition, and a lot of other development orgs. is that pverty also means a lack of access to "capital" or resources in the form of education, nutrition, health, as well as the familiar lack of income.
Poverty also exists in the form of ppl's inability to influence policies that governments may introduce that help improve thoose in the higher brackets and indirectly hurting those in the lower brackets.
Poverty also can be seen as vulnerabilities ppl are exposed to regarding natural disasters and their lack of something as basic as mental well being. Simply being able to feel HAPPY, or comfortable.

So, these are a lot of issues. And obviously, no one organisation can tackle them at the same time. Unfortunately, tackling them one at a time, as though each issue is isolated from the others has not worked either. So what is starting to be seen, is that ppl need to start looking at these issues from a point of view of a wholistic,unifying way; regarding, not what rural ppl don't have, but what they do have. And we assure them that what they do have is extremely valuable. This starts to build a mentality of empowermment by building on their strengths. Not their weaknesses.

So what have they got? Well, as far as I can see, they have got :

A vast knowledge resource base from their past on all the ways their forefathers ensured that the community survives TO THIS DAY. Livelihood strategies that, once brought up to date, can be a viable income generating source.
They have got access to natural capital. The natural environment upon whihch, if used sustainably, they can generate an income.
They have got each other. Strength in numbers with a voice loud enough.
They have got a vision or a desire of where they want themselves, their children and the future of the community will be.
They have got ppl like us, willling to provide access to information on how to make each of their strengths work for improvinig their lives.
There is also a spiritual element as well that they posess. The human capacity for growth, and the belief that they CAN become better than they were previously. They possess the ability to literally change their world and make it better.

Now, I am trying to combine microenterprise with the knowledge of the above. Why? Becuase microenerprises have the potential to have a positive impact quickly. People begin to see tangible results faster and by seeing these resuts, even if small at first, can help spur them onward. And if we incorporate the above, into a microenterprise strategy, the possibility for success is increased I think.

I've been considering some low startup cost businesses, that I am willing to put my money (sadly not a whole lot) and time into. Soap making, bee-keeping, biodiesel production, coconut oil production, solar dried fruits and vegetables, paper making. I have a somewhat modest knowledge of most of these things, with the exception of bee-keeping. Of course, these aremy ideas, andthe community mayhave far better microenterprise suggestions.

What I need to work on now, is to find creatiive ways to introduce small business management into a rural context. Strategies on how best to impliment small business in a way that ensures that the businesses are community owned, and that all individuals who are interested, preferably the whole community, can participate equally in developing these businesses, and develop their community.

Were I in Cruz Verde at the moment, I would be involved in rap sessions with the community, and planning with them. But I'm not there yet. However, I want to get the ball rolling some how, and this seems like a good way to go.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I have found with microenterprises that one has to find the market for the products. Oftentimes, you have to create the market for what is made.

A few more ideas for you - folks are creative here and candlemaking would be a good thing. I am looking at the moment for candles to export. Also, if you can distil clean, well filtered coconut oil, I will buy some. Not oil with any organic matter remaining inside of it - I will have to check the micron level. Soap making if it is to my receipes, I will buy some soaps.

So, if you can these initiatives started, and the quality is there, I can assist with marketing.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Research on microenterprises

Hi Handel.
I know an Anthropologist who has done a lot of work on microenterprises in the DR. His name is Gerard Murray and he has about three books on different tipes of businesses. Maybe these can help your research and might give you some insight on how Dominicans get around. I must have some copies that I can pass to you if you are interested and ever in Santo DOmingo. Let me know.

Good Luck!!

BTW, My hobby is photography and I like to tavel a bit to rural communities. If you wish, let me know when you are around, maybe I can tag along to take some pictures.

Regards,
S

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
Hey everybody,
I just wanna mention that Calamardoazul brought up a good point about loan sharks. How bad are things like that in poor communities? Are loansharks in all poor communities?
Obviously any development initiative strategy is gonna have to consider the posibility of conflicts cropping up. When these loansharks see that the ppl they prey on are not gonna be as dependent on them anymore, are the reactions likely to be dangerous?

Personally, I thiink that even loansharks are just trying to make a living. Helping them to ensure their survival and make a living by being a part of the positive process is a possibility. However, I have never met a loanshark before, so I dunno how idealistic I am being here.

Regarding teaching strategies, one area I have been really thinking over is the fact that in poor communites, ppl are mostly unable to read. This presents a problem when it comes to business.
The Learning By Doing approach seems to help in this matter somewhat, in terms of community members learning new skills through direct experience, and the project "experts" (i dislike that term) learning techniques and concepts from the community in the same way.
But what about the areas where certain business concepts can only be learned thru pen and paper?
Ihad a seriously difficult time teaching englsh to kids in Cruz Verde. And some of these kids actually went to high school! I thought that they would be more familiar with sitting and writing what was on the board. But it took some of them 10 minutes to copy a simple sentence from the board.
Does anyone know of past techniques, or on going techniques for teaching? You don't have to be an expert to make a suggestion. If someone feels they can think up a good way to get concepts across, or have read or heard in passing of ways to do this, post away..

Thanx in advance,
Handel

JBL

Oct 20, 2002
I have also been interested in the idea of micro-enterprise and micro-lending and awhile ago read a book("Banker to the Poor") that I found very interesting & inspiring. Do you know this book? It is a memoir written by Muhammad Yunus who started a micro-lending program in Bangladesh, with his own funds. It became very successful & he is now the director of the Grameen Bank, an International system for micro loans. If you are interested there is also an email for the Grameen foundation: info@grameenfoundation.org and a website:wwwgrameenfoundation.org. You can also contact this author directly at email:yunus@grameen.net and go to website: www.grameen.com. Hope this is helpful info. I also would enjoy being part of an on-going discussion about possibilities for this in the DR. I'll be arriving in Sosua in Jan. for an extended period of time.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Grameen initiative in the DR

Grameen are just starting a pilot project in the DR. I am told it is the first in the region. PM me for details of the local contact organisation.

Chiri