Applying for residency

Mike Kingdon

Oct 31, 2003
Hi...I would like to retire to live in the Dominican Republic, and would like to know how to apply for residency for my wife and myself. Also what is the banking situation like regarding opening accounts etc ? Can anyone help an Englishman looking to live in Paradise ?..Thanks..e-mail me at dirkfuzzball@aol.com

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Scotiabank in Sosua required a letter of reference from my bank in Canada and a minimum deposit of $5000 RD before they would even talk to me about opening an account.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re residency

There is a lot in archives in getting residency. Clickon search button near top of this page, then search for residency.

Also see this http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesimm.html
It is taken from the website of Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in the legal section. He would be a very good choice for helping you with your residency. You can email him at info@drlawyer.com

Oedeskaug

Nov 1, 2003
Mike Kingdon said:
Hi...I would like to retire to live in the Dominican Republic, and would like to know how to apply for residency for my wife and myself. Also what is the banking situation like regarding opening accounts etc ? Can anyone help an Englishman looking to live in Paradise ?..Thanks..e-mail me at dirkfuzzball@aol.com

Escott,

How long was this process ?

Also, a small detail i saw some place, but can't remember - is it my current country wich lets me go - or the one i wish to relocate to wich lets me come in?

Thank you so much, excellent website! nice design too :cool:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You need to bring down certain papers to give to the attorney and to pay the attorney. About 6 weeks later you are taken for blood test, x-ray and Dr. Interview. I got everything in one trip to the capitol after submitting all my papers to the attorney.

Usually you only need a passport from the country you come from to get into the Dominican Republic.

Which country are you from?

Scott

Oedeskaug

Nov 1, 2003
Scott!

Thanks for the quick reply, im from Norway, its on the list of 'eligble for 90-day tourist card' and i don't need a visa.

Im going trough the options of weather i should get a second-passport sort of thing or just change the whole thing alltogether. Since I was born in Norway nobody can deny me residency there if i should change my mind in the future.

I think im gonna get in tuch with John Schroder before i go down there, and make sure i bring everything i need.

Thank you again for an excellent board!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have read all about what he offers. You certainly don't need anyone to charge you 500$US to open up a bank account when it costs nothing once you are there. Where are you going to be, in which part of the country. I can recommend a attorney that I used if you care to email me.

The Dominican Republic does NOT make you give up your home country citizenship fwiw.

Scott

PhMB

Sep 30, 2003
delay

we filled the papers , gave our birth / wedding certifcates , and went to the medical exams 1 week later . all cost me 25000 pesos for 2 persons . including all translations , exams , etc

the entire process took 2 months

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can work legally if you want to. And you have all rights of a citizen, except for voting and holding office. You can come and go as you please. If you are able to declare foreign earned income to the US IRS, it helps to be able to say you are a resident of the DR.

It has seemed in recent years that governemtn moving in direction of requiring everyone who lives here, especially full time, to have residency. We would have gotten it anyway, just because we feel more comfortable being residents since that is what we are.

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
Oedeskaug

I too have been researching residency and I would have to say Guzman is the way to go. At least as far as cost is concerned and getting the job done properly. I do have to give John Schroder credit though. He does cost more and for the significant difference I opt not to use him for the simple reason...I do not require all that he has to offer. As far as knowledge, the man is way up there. I subscribed to his news letter and he certainly has it on the ball. My advice would be use Guzman for the residency process and then utilize John's knowledge for what ever else you would like to accomplish. If you haven't subscribed to his newsletter yet, I suggest you do so. It can't hurt. I have spoken with him a couple of times on the phone and he is a kind, informative individual and I give him 2 thumbs up.

Oedeskaug

Nov 1, 2003
thanks everyone!

diaz, i have read alot of his articles on escapeartist.com an he certainly seem to know a thing or two. I'll take your advise and use either Guzman or the attorney Scott recomended for me to handle the residency. Then get in tuch with John for setting up the optimal framework for my business. Thanks again!