weekend travel from Canada

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Hello.

I have been trying to find some air only flights for weekend travel to Puerto Plata from either Ottawa or Montreal or Toronto if I have to. So far I have only found a flight with AA at $1200 CDN - much too expensive for a 3-4 day trip.

Does anyone know of web sites, travel agents I could find such flights at reasonable rates?

Gracias!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
The cheapest I have ever paid for a AA flight was about $850 Canadian dollars. When I use AA, I fly, Toronto to Miami and then Miami to POP. It makes for a long day. I always leave on a Thrusday and I return on the Monday. I believe leaving on a Friday and returning before Monday is always more expensive.

I don't believe there are cheaper alternatives for a long weekend in the DR.

Maryanne

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
One week flights are much cheaper, but I think Rosanie is just looking for a long weekend in the DR.

Have you booked your flight yet Anna?
Have a wonderful time!

Maryanne

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I have flown on the Toronto, Miami, POP route many times and I thought maybe there was another way. $850 for the weekend is a lot of money. I am looking for a weekend flight for Feb and March.

I will be in Rio San Juan from Dec 18 - Jan 11. I am flying down with Sky Service from Ottawa and flying home with GoTravelDirect.

The search for a deal continues!!!!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I also do about 3 long weekends per year, so if you manage to find something cheaper, please share that info with us.

Thanks,
Maryanne

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
On a weekly schedule

santobonao said:
air canada will serve puerto plata from montreal and toronto this month.

Saturday and Sunday flights which AC has in their schedule do not a 3-4 day weekend make.

As to the cost of AA , if you think $1200 is bad, try to find a fare over Xmas! Iit is easily in the CDN$1500+ range already and will be higher - last year they wanted CDN$2,000 for a Toronto- SDQ retrun trip. Supply and demand.

Unless you can find a 3-4 day charter flight which is not usually the case, you pay what either AA or CO wants you to pay. I'd think after the main Christmas season you should be able to find flights via MIA under $800, as February and March are usually cheap.

Or wait/watch for Netsaavers with at least JFK/POP or MIA/POP featured with Th/Fr. departures and Mo./Tu returns as the flight will probably be quite affordable even if they don't offer a Netsaaver for the Toronto - MIA or Toronto - LGA part.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Probably not Montreal

santobonao said:
so the cheaper way to travel is from POP-MIA-YYZ OR montreal.

Certainly not on AA who don't fly to Montreal from Miami.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002

I have flown from MIA to YUL twice in the last year and have a ticket in April for YUL to MIA to POP. It is the return portion of a ticket I bought last August in POP. It was $41,000 RD

AA told me that they have flights everyday from YUL to MIA and vice versa in April.

I found a 4 day flight on Air Canada Feb 11 - 16, 2004 for $1138 CDN but it must be purchased by Nov 2, 2003. YYZ to POP and POP to YUL for the return.

4 day trips are not cheap!

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Re: Probably not Montreal

ricktoronto said:

AA has daily flight Montreal (Dorval) leaving at 6:10 AM - Miami and Miami leaving at 7:35PM - Montreal (Dorval)

1500$ canadian at Christmas time, OUF. I paid 1660$ canadian November 20 - May 13 Dorval - Miami- LaRomana - Miami- Dorval.

Last edited: