election 2000

Sep 20, 2003
i have a few questions about president hippo.

how did he manage to win a land slide against president lionel fernadez? people speak well of lionel, how did he lose so badly?

president hippo only has a 2 year associates degree? i read his only political experience before 2000 was he had been minister of agriculture in the late 1970's. how did he get into a position to run for president of the DR?

how did hippo become rich before becoming president of the DR? was he born into money?

a story on the AP news wire today was about vice president bosch runnning for president. the article mentioned how she stood almost no chance of winning becuae the DR is a macho society. is that true? does she stand no chance of winning simply because she is a woman? the article mentioned she has a law degree. where did she graduate from?

i read last year that one of the daughters of the mirabel sisters was involved in politics. what office does she hold? would she ever run for president?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
joel pacheco said:
i have a few questions about president hippo.

how did he manage to win a land slide against president lionel fernadez? people speak well of lionel, how did he lose so badly?
Hippo did not run against Leonel. At that time it was constitutionally forbidden for a sitting president to run again. [In fact, the PRD and Hippo had insisted, prior to Hippo's election, that this one-term principle was sacred. Then once Hippo was elected, they promptly changed their minds and insisted on chaging the constitution.] Instead, the PLD chose Danilo Medina, an intellectual type well-known and liked among PLD activists, but not so well known and popular with the general public. Hippo also increased his chances by constantly campaigning talking like a man of the street. Last but certainly not least, Balaguer threw the votes of his PRSC behind Hippo, guaranteeing the win.
Regards,
Keith

Sep 20, 2003
how did hippolyte get selected by his political party to run for president? from what i have read, he never held elected office before being president. does anyone know why he was supported by balanguer?

how did hippoltye make his millions?(before becoming president)

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Hippo-little was Agricultural Minister in the late 70s, smacked a fellow government official, and was nicknamed "Guapo de Gurabo" for that incident. He ran some company whose name I can't recall but wouldn't want to either...........had all his kids involved in the company and now they hold Cabinet positions because it's the easiest way for them to steal and do whatever they want. Leonel did the same by having his sister get involved with the government (CONANI) and taking a few million out of the coffers.............

Joel: the political parties run a pre-candidate election to select their presidential candidates. I can't recall why Balaguer gave him support but it sure as hell helped him out. The year 2000 elections were the cleanest ones in the history of the DR so when it all boils down to is that the Dominican people elected their president, not a special group or anything like that. You get what you ask for.....................

Regarding the question about his education, I don't think it's the biggest factor, specially in the DR. Neither is not having previously held political office. Look at our president, George W. Bush. Before he was president, he was the governor of Texas, and before that, he was the owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
joel pacheco said:
how did hippolyte get selected by his political party to run for president? from what i have read, he never held elected office before being president. does anyone know why he was supported by balanguer?
Hippo reputedly was picked by Pe?a Gomez himself as his successor due to years of unwavering loyalty to and friendship with Pe?a. [Some say PG also wanted to snub the PRD big politicos arguing around him -- Hatuey, Milagros, Fello primarily -- who rightfully should be his succesor.] Hatuey, Milagros & Fello all originally tried to challenge Hippo for the PRD nomination, but all eventually sold out for positions/favors. Of these, the one who stood a chance of beating Hippo for the nomination was Milagros, but only if she fought him tooth-and-nail and made lots of backroom deals. She decided to take the Vice Presidency under Hippo instead, probably fooled into thinking she was going to get Hippo's support for the Presidential bid in 2004 (only to get stabbed in the back later by Hippo & PPH).

As for Balaguer, his support for the PLD candidate in 1996 had everything to do with preventing Pe?a from winning. "Anyone but Pe?a!" he is reputed as declaring. Thus once Pe?a died, Balaguer cared less about whether the PRSC supported PRD or PLD. I heard/read that rank-and-file Reformistas thought they had gotten too little out of Leonel's presidency, and Hippo was promising more (remember, he arranged for the Chamber of Deputies presidency to go to PRSC, and a cabinet spot too). So Balaguer supported (a bit lukewarmly) Hippo's bid in 2000.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Keith