fare to dr in february?

shappy

Nov 12, 2003
Hi all...I need some advice about air fares from North Carolina to DR. My wife and I want to spend 10 days or so between Feb 5th and Feb 18th. We would fly out of RDU and can go into any convenient airport (SDQ, POP, etc). Probably we would want to go to Samana and do some snorkeling on the north coast, but also see Santa Domingo. Anyway, I am getting fares of US$485 to $525 (and up). This seems pretty high compared to other destinations in the area...what do you all consider a good price?

Thanks! We are really looking forward to going down there, seeing the whales, snorkeling and possibly catching a baseball game!

Rick

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
"Fare" Price

shappy said:
... but also see Santa Domingo. Anyway, I am getting fares of US$485 to $525 (and up). This seems pretty high compared to other destinations in the area...what do you all consider a good price?

If you checked the CO, US and AA sites and also Orbitz/Travelocity/Experida sites and got those prices, well, then those are the prices.

They don't seem excessive to me, and as to other destinations in the area, do you mean the DR? If not (e.g. you mean Nassau or Jamaica or Aruba) there really is no fair (fare) basis for comparison with the complexity of the routes and demand/supply.

Typically if you buy a fare and it goes down AND you continue to meet the fare basis they'll give you a "rollover" and a refund in terms of future travel for up to a year anyway. If you buy FROM the airline itself that is, often on web fares from others they won't.

Too many people chisel around and get either no ticket or a really expensive one in searching or waiting it out for $50 or so, truly. I bought my Xmas ticket to SDQ in July, for example.

You can try routes to these DR airports given your somewhat wide ranging choice of destinations:

POP; LRM; SDQ and STI,

and see which is cheapest, as I assume you'll rent a car to cover that much ground.

PS: I don't think this can happen:
seeing the whales, snorkeling and possibly catching a baseball game!

The whales don't use snorkels and they dry out if they try to watch a baseball game. Plus without legs it's hard to get to the stadium.

PPS: You can only call it "Santa" Domingo on December 25th. Otherwise it's Santo Domingo.

Last edited:

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Shappy,

I was looking for a good fare for my sister and her family out of RDU for around Christmas time and found fares about the same as you. One thing that I did notice was that most of them connect through Miami, so that is something to think about (?).

I have also used travelocity's search option where it watches for good deals and then notifies you if there is any change. If your dates are flexible, you might be able to find a deal through that. Like Ricktoronto said, sometimes they will give you a refund or voucher if the fare for your flight goes down (I've done this, but it can be a fight to get your money). Be careful to read the fine print.

Just some suggestions.

We went whale watching in February and everyone really enjoyed it. It included a stop for lunch at Cayo Laventado (Bacardi Island) which we had been to before, but enjoyed it very much because it is so beautiful there.

My husband and I will be spending a couple of days in Las Terrenas in December. I definitely intend to bring my snorkel equipment with me.

Rose

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
The fare for DR in February always seems to be higher then other times...the reason being it is the month of Independencia...many people are traveling like the 4th of July weekend in the US so the demand in flights are high so of coarse the fees will skyrocket...they usually have celebrations the whole month long.

shappy

Nov 12, 2003
Thanks to all who replied. I was trying to get a sense of the RT air cost to the DR, and to make sure that I didn't happen to try during a time when the prices happened to be high. I have gotten RT fares from RDU to Merida, Mexico for less than $300 by querying at the right time. It seems like the $480-520 price range is not unexpectedly high, so I will expect to pay that.

ricktoronto -- funny, my travel guide states that the whales DO snorkel and play winter league baseball! I guess I was misinformed.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Punctuation, can't live with it can't live without it

shappy said:
I have gotten RT fares from RDU to Merida, Mexico for less than $300 by querying at the right time. It seems like the $480-520 price range is not unexpectedly high, so I will expect to pay that.

ricktoronto -- funny, my travel guide states that the whales DO snorkel and play winter league baseball! I guess I was misinformed.

Remember that it is near impossible to do that kind of comparison , whether type of destination, or time of year, or distance and expect the airlines to make sense, e.g. be similar. I have paid AA a range of 3:1 during the year for coach seats to the point where I have paid for full fare business class as the difference was only a few hundred dollars. Christmas is a notable example.