Non-Profits

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Does anyone know how one may access a list of the Non-Profit organizations operating in the D.R. ? Regards, PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is a site that set out to do this:

Redid

Neither complete nor up to date, though.

I too would be interested in finding out if a better one exists.

Chiri

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
I've also been.....

Chirimoya said:
I too would be interested in finding out if a better one exists.
looking for a 1-stop shop for NGO's in DR but haven't found one yet, except the citation you gave. What does work but takes some digging is a simple Google search. I used these key words [NGO Dominican Republic] and a lot of sites came up, many of which are internationals working in DR. Hope it helps.

Best, P

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, that seems to be the only way around it. If anything it has its advantages because you can narrow down your search depending on what aspect of non-profit work you are interested it.

For example I was searching on micro-credit recently and came up with a couple of useful lists of organisations working in this area in the DR.

I had the notion that Funredes.org would have a directory but their site is far from straightforward. And that is putting it mildly.

Chiri

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Chiri, you probably know...

Chirimoya said:
For example I was searching on micro-credit recently and came up with a couple of useful lists of organisations working in this area in the DR.
already, but the model for NGO/Microcredit programs is UNDP's past effort in Bangladesh. Think I may have a copy of their project description if you're interested. Send me a PM if so and I'll look thru my files.

Best, P

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No need, Pasha: I did that particular search because a poster called Handel asked a question about microcredit programmes in the DR, and I was trying to find out who the key contacts here would be.

Also, I found out from a friend that the Dominican NGO she works for has been selected to implement the first Grameen pilot project in the region (not sure if this means Caribbean or broader) and the director has already been to Bangladesh for training/induction.

It's a small world.

Chiri

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Indeedy deed......

Chirimoya said:
It's a small world. Chiri
quite small....though some folks seem to think that the DR is some sort of geographic/cultural microcosm -- they must've played bit roles in "Lost World" -- and its issues/ problems bear no relation to the rest of planet earth.

Chiri, if you don't mind, as we discussed before via PM please do keep me in the loop on NGO issues. I'll do the same if you're at all interested in non-profits at global-to-country specific levels.

Best, P