Windsurfing???

viento

Nov 7, 2003
Not sure if this is the correct forum.....

I'm a windsurfer and would like to compare notes with other sailors or anyone with info on the subject.

I've found the winds to be OK but not reliable. When the wind is on it's great, great chop/swell. OK waves but not the type of waves I'm used to in California and Mexico.

Regardless of that, I've fallen in love with the DR and will continue to visit. Great people and night life, very welcoming (not sure if that's a word).

I've only been to the North Coast and will try to visit other parts of the island during my Feb/March visit. Any sailing spots other that Cabarete?
Mark

oh yea, this is my first post. I've been reading and enjoying DR1 for awhile. THANKS for all the great info!

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Viento,

Now its not the right time to viosit Cabarete (for wind I mean) these months Nov.-Feb. are mostly good for surfers. THe rest of the year, Cabarete is great for Windsurfing and Kite.

The Salinas beach down south is also a good spot and its been really nice the past couple of weeks. Its also an interesting place with its sand dunes and salt mines, just beautiful. Salinas is just right next to Bani, about 2 hours west of Santo Domingo.

viento

Nov 7, 2003
Thanks for the info on Salinas

MY next trip to Cabarete will be for a couple of weeks late February/early March. What are the usual conditions in Salinas that time of year? If I come to the Capital is there a way to check conditions?

In Cabarete I?ve been staying at El Magnifico (incredible place) and book the trip through Vela(U.S.) and rent equipment from their center.

Any suggestions for a different place to stay? Doesn?t have to be on the beach, just extra clean, quiet and semi-private. Possibly ProCab(not sure if that is correct name/spelling for that area)??? I?ve been real spoiled by El Magnifico but want to check out new places.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
RE: other areas for windsurfing: Monte Cristi toward the Haitian border, 3.5-4 hour drive from Cabarete. Playa Grande possibly if wind is onshore (waves).

RE: places to stay, El Magnifico is one of the best properties to stay in for ambiance, caribbean charm, tranqulity, comfort. If you need two bedrooms, Palm Beach Condos is very nice as well. I don't like the studios so much because they're on the street and not decorated as nice as the condos. If you are coming alone, Hotel Villa Taina. Windsurf Resort is also building a new smaller boutique hotel directly on the beach just down from Caribe Bic Center/Pitu. If you would like help with your res/more detailed info re; hotels, please contact me.

Marina
info@kitexcite.om
www.kitexcite.com

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Viento,

The nicest hotel I've stayed in Cabarete is Velero. I hear they are building a new one in Kite Beach i dunno for sure maybe Marina can confirm.
I also like Villa Taina because its a step away from the middle of everything and very comfortable and nice inside.