Legitimate Charitable Organizations in the Dominican Republic

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
Many Europeans and Americans, Canadians, etc. regularly donate money to charities which have colossal administrative operating costs. They also never get to see where the monies donated are directed. How about a listing of REPUTABLE charities based in the Dominican Republic? There was a recent thread inviting tourists to bring writing instruments and notebooks for schoolchildren in Sosua, which is an excellent way to help out. I'd appreciate it if posters would list the names and addresses of Dominican charities, and briefly state the goals of the organization in question. Of special interest would be charities with minimal operating costs, where the money donated is used to help the beneficiaries help themselves, buying the proverbial fishing poles instead of constantly supplying the villagers with frozen fish... Lastly, you can definitely leave out organizations seeking donations for the reelection of Hippo, campaigns to free Baninter's executives, retirement funds for generals and politicians, and the ilk! I'm sure many readers of DR1 would be inclined to donate to Dominican charities if they were assured of their legitimacy, and they could see the end result of their generosity.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where to start!

There are Dominican organisations working in many areas of development, to which you would be able to donate. Ensuring that your money has been spent effectively is another thing though.

I can provide a list of local NGOs working in a range of thematic areas: environment, women, health, elderly people, disabled people, children, community water provision, forestry management, sustainable agriculture, promoting organics, citizen participation and decentralisation, civil rights, and more. I know several of these from direct experience, or have friends who work or have worked there.

On the international side, many large and well-known organisations have programmes in the DR. There is an issue with running costs, I know from first hand that they are by definition large bureaucracies, but they are transparent and accountable, in that they will produce credible annual accounts that tell you exactly where the money has gone, and have a ceiling on what percentage goes on admin.

International organisations with programmes in the country range from large UN agencies like UNICEF and governmental aid bodies like USAID and the British DFID (via the embassy), the Canadian, the German GTZ and the Swiss Helvetas. Other organisations with a presence here include Oxfam International, headed by the Spanish Oxfam Intermon, CIIR/ICD a British organisation I worked for briefly which places volunteers in community projects, and several others like World Vision.

All of these are easily accessible on the web, but let me know if you would like more specific information.

I would urge caution and first-and research with any organisation that you are considering as a beneficiary. Many are excellent and full of commited people who work all hours doing effective work, others are... ya tu sabes...

You would have to meet with them in person if you are considering a serious donor relationship, and would have to make regular visits or nominate someone in situ to do this for you. You would have to ask for annual audited accounts, and progress reports.

The difference with donating through a large organisation is that they would do all this for you - hence the operating costs. For a donation to be effective, all this is essential, otherwise you are running the risk of the money going to the director's jeepeta fund!

The decision is yours: either donate to an organisation that spends, say, 85% of your money on the project and 15% on admin reliably, or gamble 100% of your money with a project that might or might not be putting it to the intended use.

Chiri

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
One charity that does really good work is El Arca. When I lived in DR my aunts used to twist my arm to donate to this but it really does good work with disabled children.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Danny and I always supported and donated to the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program back in Georgia. Recently there was a story in the paper about a program here. Does anyone know if this is the same as in the states or what?

Dianne

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
what about bring Baseball equipment

Last summer I stoped by a Virginia Beach sporting goods store and spent $50 on baseball equipment for my girlfriends 9 year old son. When I opened tha bag and gave it to him he was really excited. I did not find out until afterwards that he $50 bucks I spent was worth around $175 for the same equipment in the local stores.
If one of the Expats in the D.R. wanted to sponser a team and posted a list of needed equipment then I am sure with in a few months there would be pieced together donations brought in luggage of tourist.
I know sporting equipment seems minor but sometimes joy is as much help as anything. When I am there as a hippie in a few years I would even donate apig for a tailgate party
John

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What charities?

Any money or goods sent to DR charities end up in someone's pocket or for political purposes. I do not trust a single charity in DR. If you want to donate something, just pick a project and handle it yourself. Just a hint....nothing donated to hurricane victims ever gets to them. It is sold in the Luperon Flea Market by Haitians and chopos who support political parties.

TW

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
My query originated since I too am leery about the organized charitable entities...

It might be best to find a school for blind children or a similiar institution supporting others in need, and directly purchasing something that the school or foundation can use... Or, fix up the plumbing, furnish the kids with notebooks and pens, buy a globe of the world or maps, etc. The grassroots assistance programs for schoolkids in Sosua, or basic medical supplies for the rural clinics have more appeal since you can see where your money is going, and you can make sure it is not siphoned. One Dominican based website website gives the following organizations as possibilities: HHSFoundation - Fundeprocunipa - FUNDASUR - AGAPE - Sosua Kids - Orphanage Outreach - Casimirofoundation - Fundacionjumelle - BateyRelief - Ajareconn - Alcones de Rescate.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ciao Daniel W!

(I notice you live in Ancona: one of the people I love most on this earth lives just down the road from you, in Senigallia).

Whoever you donate to, there is a chance that the money will be diverted, whether it is a small institution of your choice or an organised charity, of any size. The point is that in order to ensure your money is well spent you have to be there, or have someone you trust in situ, to monitor how it being used.

Are you in a position to do this? If you are not, as I said in my post above, giving to an international charity which funds local organisations and does watertight monitoring, evaluation, tracking, reporting and accounting is worth the 15% or less that usually goes to running costs.

Please disregard Golo's blanket dismissal of Dominican charities. To those of us who are used to his statements it is easy enough to take it with a pinch of salt, but there may be some out there who will take it literally.

Not to say there are not problems! Having first-hand knowledge of this sector I have seen all the worst practice you can imagine. Entire organisations running for the sole benefit of their directors and employees rather than their supposed beneficiaries. A clientilistic approach with their beneficiaries. Misappropriation of funds. As in other areas of Dominican life, party political allegiances are often a factor in selecting employees and beneficiaries. You name it. It?s all part of the corruption that permeates the Dominican system. (It doesn?t just happen here, either).

Having said that, there are also many NGOs and workers which are not guilty of these sins. I would hope that this is true of the majority. They are genuinely helping the people they work with, and are spending their donors? money honestly and with complete transparency and accountability. When this sort of work is done the right way they achieve inspirational results. The people who work in these NGOs are dedicated, working all hours and often through weekends, drawing relatively modest salaries, motivated by sincere altruism and commitment to improving life for the poorest sections of society. An experienced development worker is usually able to see through the fakes, and knows not to tar all the sector with the same brush just because some bad practice exists. To dismiss all NGOs in this way is an insult to all the good work that is done and the good people who do it.

Chiri

Last edited:

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
My A List

Here's a list of organizations that do great work and are not related to the government in any way. Most of them are catholic organizations and that gives me some assurance that the funds will be properly used (usually anything that is run by nuns works down here)

Fe y Alegria..... They run many schools in the poorest areas of Santo Domingo and other towns. They provide k thru 12 education and also teach the students some other craft (plumbing, mssonry, woodwork,etc.) so that once they graduate the youngsters can support themselves. It is run by the Jesuits and it exists not only in the DR, but in most Latin AMerican countries.

OSCUS (Obra Social Cultural Sope?a).... Education for kids. They also work with poor women helping them set up small bakeries, tailor shops, etc. They also work with inmates to help them with their reinsertion into society.

Canillitas con Don Bosco... Works with the children of the streets, making sure they get proper education and guidance, keeping them busy and hence keeping them off the streets. It is run by the Salesianos priests (not sure of the traduction for this).

Acci?n Callejera... same deal as the canillitas, but in Santiago.

For the environmetally aware these are the best pics: Plan Sierra, FUNDEJANICO, Fundacion Progresio, Sociedad Ecologica del Cibao.

For those wanting to help disabled or sick people: Instituto de Ayuda al Ciego (help for the blind), Sociedad Dominicana de Rehabilitaci?n (physically challenged people), Patronato Contra el Cancer. Rober Reid Cabral is the only hospital worth helping out since it is run by nuns and they will not pocket donations.

If you need specifics on any of these institutions let me know.

Jojo

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
Thanks everyone for your posts...

I have a good number of organizations to look into now. Some of the smaller ones like Jojo mentioned do good work, and usually groups run by nuns or brothers are quite legitimate. It's the larger ones run by their superiors that I worry about! Like Golo suggests, I don't put too much faith into all the large Dominican concerns, especially disaster relief funds.

Chiri, doing great here in Ancona; 7? C and raining... My wife and child are in Santo Domingo for a long XMAS vacation. Wish I was there with them!

Dan

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
How can anybody call a organization run by the Jesuits, or any other Catholic entity, legitimate is beyond my comprehension.
Take Golo's advice and do a "hands on" act of charity. The best thing to do is to teach somebody a skill. A gift that can last forever!

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
The rotary club puerto plata Isabel de Torres has done a lot of work recently , some of the projects which are completed or in progress at present

Water filters distribution and assembly

computer room for the orphanage in puerto plata

Distribution of wheelchairs

Craft and skill training extension to the deaf school puerto plata

Anyone looking for hands-on should consider helping to carry the toys to the orphanage up the mountain, its two hours on a donkey scheduled for next week

The club is looking for new members at the moment gringos are welcome , meetings are in Spanish anyone who is interested can PM
me terry.

Last edited:

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
"Legitimate" may not have been apropos, Tony C.

Hopefully less of a con game that the emergency hurricane funds would be! Anytime $ is collected, graft ostensibly enters the equation, and the so called religious foundations are no exceptions. I agree that a "hands on" approach when someone is taught a skill or trade is better than constantly giving handouts.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
How your money is spent

Just as an example, let me give you an idea of how things are done in charities. Take Padre Rogelio Cruz. He seems to be doing a fine job in his community with his summer camps, church and educational activities. He seems to be a good bet for your money. Yet, even he does things I rather not pay for, like travelling all over attending TV shows, participating in protests and involving himself in politics. His positive activities are neutralized by the negative ones. I rather not contribute. But in my opinion, money given to him would be better spent than giving to street peddlers, who most likely are fakes, and even legitimate ones only contribute to increasing peddling by Haitians, who see a good market for this.

Take organizations like the Boy Scouts of America, United Way, etc. Most of the money goes for staff and staff expenses. These groups also have huge numbers of properties. The Boy Scouts is one of the largest property owners in the United States. Their main camp at Philmont could easily be the size of a small nation. They have properties in all 51 states and in every major city or town in America. Their professional staff exceeds 4000, each with leased automobiles and expense accounts. Their objective is to organize packs and troops to increase their numbers thru incentives. Result:much corruption organizing ghost units and programs not related to scouting. United Way plays favorites when it comes to designating raised funds. You would be surprised at their priorities.

In DR is even worse. Almost every charity owns luxury vehicles, pays for the housing of their executive directors and lavish trips abroads. The people get the crumbs. 90% of ONG's(NGO's)are connected to politicians and use very attractive names to hide their hideous activities. One organization recently stole the name of a sister nun that was famous for her community and social work. The sister never knew about it until it came out on Nuria's. The Director used 95% of the income for her salary. The ONG had no office, but her home. That is the general practice in DR.

Lila Alburquerque, the former chairman of our house of representatives and active deputy has several charities from her home and other fictitious addresses. All income goes for her political career, vote getting and fame. Every political figure in DR has a charity.

I hate to take up the Mormons again, but just recently, they spent $15,000,000 to pave a parking lot and construct a basketball court, while the section around the church has unpaved streets. They also prohibit the neighborhood kids from playing in the court. What good is beautifying your own property when the street is full of mud? Result:the community dumps garbage on the church because the kids are not allowed in.

TW

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK Golo, and for every horror story you can come up with I can come up with two or three more that I have witnessed first-hand, because I have worked in the sector and know it inside out.

I repeat! This does not mean that there are not good ones. Your allegations only serve to take credibility away from all the genuine, honest organisations, and that is tantamount to taking food out of the mouths of the poor.

Anyone with any sense who wants to choose a charity needs to do their homework, and not throw money at any organisation willy nilly.

A donor that does not demand accountability and transparency from a recipient is as much to blame as the charity if the money is not spent correctly.

My advice: whether you are funding an individual, local small scale group, medium sized national organisation or large international charity, go for the ones that do not foster dependency: helping people to fend for themselves is always the key.

So many charities worldwide are guilty of paternalism and "assistentialism" and only perpetuate the culture of helplessness and dependence. Among these, in my opinion, are many of the religious charities whose methods are palliative, not empowering, although even here there are some noble exceptions.

Chiri

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Here's a post I made about Children International awhile ago...

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25457&highlight=sponsoring+children+international

I just recently returned from my third visit and while I am far from being an apologist for this organization, I believe they are helping children stay fed, stay well, and stay in school. As an organization they are far from perfect, far from saintly, and at times they are just plain uncooperative. I just found out yesterday that the director of the Santiago office was removed from her duties. That can only be an improvement. I'm sure she's a nice lady, but, in my opinion, not right for that job. I think it will be a less stressful, more productive office with less employee turnover without her. But the actions of one person or a few people shouldn't make a whole organization unworthy of your donation.

I guess I just don't like to see all charities painted with the same brush. Some are great, and some are just plain awful when it comes to allocating people's hard-earned donations. The majority fall somewhere in between. You'll do well to investigate any charity you plan on giving to; ask a lot of questions, and be rightly suspicious if people seem to be put off by your questions. They should have nothing to hide.

One thing an organization can do that an individual can't is buy in bulk, everything from underwear to vaccinations. I believe, in general, that they can make your donated money go further. But then, as a consequence, there will always be a certain amount of organizational bureaucracy to deal with. It can all get a little impersonal at times. Weigh out all your options and make your own decision.

edited to add: maybe somebody can fix that link. i never did one before on the message board and I don't think I did such a good job

Last edited:

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Re: What charities?

Golo100 said:
I do not trust a single charity in DR. If you want to donate something, just pick a project and handle it yourself. Just a hint....nothing donated to hurricane victims ever gets to them. parties.

TW

After making trips to the DR for the past 4 years, I have to agree 100% with Golo on his comments. Although, one's heart may break in wanting to help the less fortunate in some sort of charitable way, the cold hard truth is that the D.R. is a poor Caribbean country, where wages are paltry and as Tim Hollis so aptly commented during a DR party, the underlying grand scheme of officials in power "is to grab as much with both hands to steal as much as they can."

That is pretty much my observation. A prevailing mentality that there is always going to be abject poverty and squalor. The overwhelming majority inwardly perceive that it is a frivalous lost cause to help a few poor souls out of a vast multitude. Therefore, why not keep the money for themselves.

I'm not saying that imbezzlement, improper use of funds, and outright stealing is the case with every official working in a Dominican charity, but the probability is very high.

I'm in agreement with previous posters that is much better to establish and run your own charity in the country. I would trust my fellow DR1ers, such as HB, Tim, Escott, and others with my hard-earned money, before I hand it over to a Dominican charity.

Having said all the above, I've been genuinely touched by hardships and wanted to help less fortunate Dominicans, but have been well advised more than once to buy a bag of rice rather than hand out a 50 peso note.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
King, how closely have you been involved with the charity sector in the DR that gives you the information to dismiss it out of hand in this way?

Do you know that there are many types of organisations that qualify for non-profit status? Among these are the sort of ridiculous outfits that Golo describes, but there are also a good number of excellent organisations. It is unfortunate that the NGO label has these negative connotations. You and Golo are really doing the good guys a disservice with your pronouncements.

I urge anyone who wants to make a donation to look into the potential recipients. It is always easy to spot the charlatans and choose a sincere and effective beneficiary, whether they be an international organisation funding projects in this country, a local NGO or an individual.

Here is an example I was involved with: a small community organisation in the SW funded by an international group of professionals via a British NGO with a presence in the DR. The information is a little out of date (2000) but have a look at the mechanics of the funding relationship as well as the content of the project to see the sort of thing I am getting at.

http://www.geocities.com/mmba1999/index.html

Chiri

Lorena

Dec 19, 2003
www.geocities.com
NOT ALL ARE BAD!

Hi,

My name is Lorena and I'm from AJARECONN (Association of Jaraguenses Residents in Connecticut)...

If you visit (wwww.geocities.com/ajareconn2003) you can learn more about us...

Its really sad for me to read some of these message

MERRY CHRISTMAS TU YOU ALL! GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

Last edited: