ANGER at robberies and burglaries

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I felt really angry at reading about 2 incidents to XR and GG and other incidents, and some comments that the Gov doesnt care. as long as their pockets are lined. We're shortly moving to DR so we're reading and learning. Is there no way we could form a residents committee to warn some relevant minister in DR to start giving better protection or we'll hit back with the internet to warn potential tourists and travel agents danger danger. Wouldnt they start rubbing their pockets in case they got lighter and smarten up. Maybe the last 20yrs or so have spoilt them and made them complacent and we should give them a reminder of what it could go back to . I have lived with extreme danger and the most sophisticated alarms, but the best are my 2 big dogs not 1 problem since . Barby

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My personal feeling is that trying to put pressure on a minister in SD would be a waste of time. And I wouldn't want to be part of a group flooding the emails with warnings not to visit the DR.

One of the hazards of living in a country where your "wealth" makes you stand out is the risk of thieves. I've been living here 17 years and don't feel I am in "extreme danger" or anything close to it. Robberies happen no matter where you are when someone so inclined sees what he considers an opportunity. Take precautions, don't give people the idea you have a lot of money and valuables in the house, and lock up when leaving the house. Those big dogs of yours should give you lots of protection.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Dogs and more Dogs.

I agree with Ken....dont flash the money, dont get two cars, for some reason 2 cars spells too much dinero......always tell folks you are on a fixed income and have to go to the bank when you have to pay for a job, repair etc....I said before. I have 4 Rottis, overkill. but everyone knows we live ... where they have 4 big dogs.....I also have a revolver......Fear No Evil......famous last words........mind you .. cant sleep at night for the dogs.. Cheers M.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Dogs and more Dogs.

mikeyone said:
I agree with Ken....dont flash the money, dont get two cars, for some reason 2 cars spells too much dinero......always tell folks you are on a fixed income and have to go to the bank when you have to pay for a job, repair etc....I said before. I have 4 Rottis, overkill. but everyone knows we live ... where they have 4 big dogs.....I also have a revolver......Fear No Evil......famous last words........mind you .. cant sleep at night for the dogs.. Cheers M.
I agree with both you guys. Within a few years I will be moving back to the DR ( I have been in the good old USA for 30 years). I will not flash my money around. I hate dogs with a passion but I will get 3 dogs. I hate guns but I will get one even if I don't put bullets in it. By just knowing that I have a gun, they will think twice before doing something stupid. A person would get mugged, even in the safest of places. One need to be frienly but also one needs to keep one's eyes wide open because you really do not know who is trying to be your friend or who is trying to steal from you. I have heard about muggings in the DR but thank God that I have never been mugged, then again I mind my own business, do not let people know that I have money, do not go to unsafe places and everywhere I go, I go with my best friend in the dr that happens to be 6'7 with a fricking magnun of a gun. hehe.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I have worked very hard for my situation and it cost me my health, so if anyone tries to harm or rob me or mine I'll go down any and all avenues to not only make them pay for it, but no matter what it takes, the "Ministers" will put the kettle on.and I'll wait as long as necessary. Revenge is a dish best served cold!
Thanks for the advice I think I'll hire Ken as my "minder",,OK? Barby

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
You don't have to be an American to be robbed.
There has been a rash of robberies here lately. Which happenes everyyear around Christmas time. Even in USA.
I was robbed. I do not flash money, I don't have any to flash! But here now the money situation is bad and alot of the robberies are done by people just trying to feed their kids. I'm not saying its right but its happening.
You can protect yourself as much as you can but it can still happen. A lady that runs a cambio place was robbed here last week. 4 men, armed with masks. I wouldn't fight against that. My life is more important than some money.
If someone really wants what you have no matteer what precautions you take. If they really want it they will find a way to get it.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
That's a great attitude, Jan, considering you're a recent victim. I agree that the police and government in the DR will only help if there's something in it for them. It is commonplace that police in NA generally become police officers because they want to help people and make a difference. I don't know of one such story in the DR. Becoming a police officer is a great way to extort money from those who have it. Unfortunately, you have to be your own police in the DR because you might as well just cut your losses rather than taken a bigger hit from the police when you ask for their help.

Jan, check your PM's.

Apr 26, 2002
trina said:
It is commonplace that police in NA generally become police officers because they want to help people and make a difference. I don't know of one such story in the DR.

I know a few youths who became policemen with good intentions. In the PN, though, you must either abandon those good intentions quickly, or starve.

AMET used to be better - prior to President Hippo.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Jan said:
But here now the money situation is bad and alot of the robberies are done by people just trying to feed their kids. I'm not saying its right but its happening.

Excuse me Jan. I don't want to step in that blood from your bleeding heart.
99% of crooks could care less about their kids. If they did they wouldn't be crooks.

Whats the sense of working hard and being successfull if you can't enjoy it?

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Oh No, I agree with Tony C

But he's right !

"Whats the sense of working hard and being successfull if you can't enjoy it ?"

Criminals are not considerate people Jan, Most of them rob and steal because they are too damn lazy to go out and work for a living. The bastard that tried to rob Xanandu and GG didn't consider their children. One of the things I dislike about the DR is that people are forced to wrap their homes with iron bars and metal doors to prevent access to thieves. It bothers me to see innocent people living behind bars.:angry:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm just trying to get past the "why me" syndrome.
I understand that criminals are no respectors of persons.
Lastnight was the first night I slept almost through the whole night. I keep picturing someone standing over me in my bed and wake up with a start. I am just thankful that I didn't wake up while the guy was in my house.
It is a shame here that you have to be so cautious. Thats one of the few things I don't like about living here.

Well, I'm not going to kill someone for robbing me, especially for material posessions. But thats how I was raised. Other people will put a bullet in you for taking thier wallet that have 20 bucks and credit cards you can cancel.

Different strokes for different folks.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
On the flip side.....

.......many a criminal will put a bullet in your head for your wallet with twenty bucks and credit cards. It's not about the money, it's about the imposition of danger on me and my family. A criminal that loses his life while invadeing the domain of another, gets no sympathy from me.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
JanH said:
Tom and Alba - I am so sorry for both of you. Tom - wish you had been at the house during robbery - you could have put 'em 6 ft under!! Hope we can cheer you both up the 31st and glad you are still coming.
Jan, so do I. It would have been him or me that was under to be sure. I work very hard for what I have and no one has the right to expect to enter my home with the expectation of stealing something - anything - without having to worry about leaving intact.

Originally posted by Ol' Joe Stew
Well, I'm not going to kill someone for robbing me, especially for material posessions. But thats how I was raised. Other people will put a bullet in you for taking thier wallet that have 20 bucks and credit cards you can cancel. Different strokes for different folks.
Sorry if that upsets some sensibilities here, but I was taught not to rob, steal, lie, and cheat. And if I did to not be surprised at the consequences of my actions. Material possesions? Please. When someone steals something that keeps me from being able to work to earn money to buy food for, and pay for a house, home, school, education, and medicine for my family and my children it becomes juuuuust a little bit more than a 'material' posession.

No one and I mean no one has a right to enter my home with the intent to rob me and my family of our hard earned posessions without expecting to die in the process.

Tom, that is exactly the point. Why are folks who are having theire lives invaded expected to be 'nice' at the risk of their lives and the lives of their families? What folks never understand is that the reason they are called 'criminals' in the first place is because they don't give a rat's *ss about anybody else's life, or anybody's laws in the first place. Pass a law in the US outlawing guns, or you'll be fined $10,000? Great! Everyone who pays their taxes and drives the speed limit will turn in their guns and be disarmed. Those guys who use their guns to kill people? What's a $10,000 fine for not turning in a gun when they know they may be executed if they use the gun and kill somebody. Answer? Nothing. The whole argument is just stupid.

You don't want a problem with me? Don't break in to my family's home, because I care a whole lot more about my wife and kids than I do about you buddy.

Tom (aka XR)

Thanks again, to all of you! Things are slowly getting better as memories fade. I appreciate each and every one of you, and will be happy to buy all around (limiting CC to one standard sized person's round. I am not that wealthy!

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Only criminals commit crime.

I agree with you joe, a human life is worth much more than $20 lousy bucks. But it's the criminals that should be reminded of that, not their victims.

This topic probably belongs in one of the other forum, but since we are already on the subject. If the rate of cime and break- ins continue to rise as they are, vacationers will eventually stop coming, the tourism industry will be threatened and the country as a whole will suffer economicaly. Shouldn't the criminals take that into consideration, or do they even care ? :ermm:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Eric

The answer is yes, and no, at the same time. It really depends on the individual I think. Crime is not worse here. I actually think it's less of a problem. But there are two problems.

One is that the average ex-pat living here may have in his wallet on any average day more than the average annual salary of any Dominican he might meet ... or more, which makes for a very inviting target. Two is that you can't dial 911 and have some non-bribable-office-Friendly there to assist you in 90 seconds.

So, those that tend to adjust here and not feel continually threatened are the ones that move here knowing that thier security is in their own hands. It's really the Old West in many ways. And thinking that someone else is always going to be there for you, or that the criminal can't just shoot you, your family,your dogs, and your parakeet and disappear unscathed is exceedingly naive.

Anyone from texas, like Texas Bill has noproblems. Pray daily for the safety of any one of the myriad of liberal posters who daily grace DR1 with their love and compassion for all mankind including those who would do the rest of us bodily harm at the drop of a Brugal bottle and still decide to move to the DR. They will definitely need all the help and prayers we can give them.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:
XR,

I agree with you. If my family is threaten. I'm taking them out with no hesitation, they are not replacable.

But I wont die or kill for material possesion, no matter how hard I worked for them, thats just me But I respect your decision. You do what you have to. I'm not saying your wrong, thats up to the courts and your moral judgement.

I've seen someone get shot up for not giving up their car to a crook. Its just not worth it. But my wife or kids....BIG DIFFERENCE. You are going down buddy.

JWB

I don't think a street crook is worried about how he is effecting tourism. If tourism stops, then he will start robbing his mother.

I see a lot of homes with armed gaurds with Shot Guns in The Dominican Republic. Some wont even let you approach them, So I suggest to all those who are willing to die for their property, Make that investment, and have that guard die for your stuff. :cool: