Concealed weapons

MICHIGANMICHAEL

Dec 22, 2003
I am a Police Officer here in Michigan, going to DR in Jan. I would like to bring my pistol with me. Any info concerning current laws & regulations would be helpful. I have traveled only to Mexico & Colombia with no problem, but I had all the proper paperwork in hand.

Thanks, Mike

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They have pretty rigid laws here concerning the importation of firearms. If you're planning on leaving it here, you could always sneak it in and then get a lawyer to legalize it. Expensive and takes a long time. As for just bringing it in for your vacation, forget it. The fact you are a cop will be of no help whatsoever. There is NO fraternity between the Dominican police and police from other countries. You can always get a legal opinion from our legal advisor Fabio Guzman in the "Legal" section.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
As Eddy said, just sit and hopefully Mr. Guzman and/or someone with knowledge will respond.. You won't need it in the DR though in my opinion. On another note, good to see another Michigander on the board. Welcome.
dale7(GO BLUE)

Dec 9, 2002
Why on earth

would you want to take your gun on holiday with you???? The only reason I could possibly come up with is because you feel unsafe in DR, if that is the case, then why even go there? If that isn't the case, and there is some other reason, please enlighten us. I would be interested to know.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Gun in Christmas

Well, your vacation will start at the airport to let you get in the country to the Dominican Rep. You might get the permit to carrie your gun every where but be ready for some kind of operation that the Dominican Army Forces during Holidays.

First they close some of the High way and main avenues to take out weapon from people during holydays. Almost none of the army guys speak English my personal advise don't ruin your vacation going to the Dominican Rep. with a gun. its a peacefull place.

good luck,

Homer Simpson

Last edited:

MICHIGANMICHAEL

Dec 22, 2003
Thank you Counselor for your input on my firearm, based on your comments I will not carry it with me. Just a note for Dominican Babe: No, I believe I will feel very safe there, as I have travelled extensively to Colombia & Mexico, never feeling unsafe, and always comfortable in Latin Culture.(Although not perfect, I can communicate very well in Spanish) Here at home, they (Local & Federal Law Enforcement Agencies) have asked that our state of being prepared at all times carry over into our off duty period as well, nothing more than that. Hope that answers your questions. (With respect DB, are you truly a babe?)

Tengas un buen dia,

Dios te bendiga,

Michael

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Sure you have to....

MICHIGANMICHAEL said:
Here at home, they (Local & Federal Law Enforcement Agencies) have asked that our state of being prepared at all times carry over into our off duty period as well, nothing more than that.

I really doubt they mean when you are 850 miles offshore the USA and 2000 miles from home. And we need more guns or people with them, down in this country like another president.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is why

"Jealous wanna be lover kills husband and wife" Guy was rejected but didn't take it nicely. From this evening's paper..

And the cops had take away his legal firearm for discharging it in public. He paid a heavy fine and got it back ...
Unfortunately, the was a Christian evangelical police sargeant that prevented the neighbors from lynching the guy. Now he gets 15 or 20 for a double, premediated homicide...left a babe in arms orphaned...

HB

MICHIGANMICHAEL

Dec 22, 2003
Thanks to all for your help. I should hope my stay in DR will lead to many more. By the way, I will NOT be on a holiday there, but on business. Hillbilly, I appreciate your article, we have those situations here as well. Once again though, it is an unfair comparison with my profession. I would never have let him have his gun back for simply brandishing it in public...firing it in the air, he goes to jail. Thanks again all.

(DOM BABE...un besito dulce para ti)

Dios te bendiga,

Mike

Kodiak

Nov 14, 2003
If on official business

I did not chime in before because I thought you were going on vacation.

If you are on official business call 221-2171 and talk to them. That is the number for the LEGAT, DEA and the Marshal's Service. State's Regional Security Officer would be able to get you a permit. If you get the go ahead, you will need to provide 4 face photos.

If you need to contact them by mail, use the APO.

USMS
Unit 5144
APO AA 34041-506