another x-mas salary question

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Let's say an employee makes 25,000 Pesos/month working the full year in a Dominican company. How much christmas bonus does he get?

I checked the 'codigo de trabajo', Art. 219 says that the max x-mas salary is 1/12 of his monthly salary times the months he worked in this year (in this case 12), but the x-mas salary also should not be higher than 5 times the minumum wage - which is something about 3000 Pesos/month (?)- so he would get a max. of 15.000 Pesos?

However, when I go to http://www.set.gov.do/main/calculo.htm to calculate the 'prestationes' with a monthly salary of 25,000 Pesos I get the result for 'salario de navidad' of one full monthly salary = 25,000 Pesos.

What is legally correct?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

quaqualita

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You "make" 25,000 a month,work the full 12 months,

you get 25,000 bonus.They didn't even take out any "Tax" on mine!! And I already spent it!! CC

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The employer may cap the Xmas bonus to five times the minimum salary. However, the custom is to give employees earning more than five minimum salaries an extra full salary as a bonus. The bonus is exempt from taxes.

After the current Labor Code was enacted in 1992, the government taxed workers for any amount received as bonus in excess of five minimum salaries. In 1997, a paragraph was added to Article 222 of the Labor Code stating that the exemption applied even if the bonus exceeded five minimum salaries.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately my employer is breaking the custom this year, he pays us only 5 times min. wage. The years before we allways did receive a full monthly salary as a xmas bonus, it's quite disappointing not to receive it this year.
But I guess there is nothing I can do...

quaqualita

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was under the impression

That the 13 salary was just that, a 13th salary.

Bonuses, on the other hand, might dependo on how well the company has done over the year.

Qual? I'd look into this a bit more...

HB

For those that were talking about Banco Popular? they paid the full salaries, plus they paid them way ahead of time!

HB

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
the company I work for did very good this year, but there is this silly 2nd paragraph of Art. 219 of the labor code:

Sin embargo, en ning?n caso el salario de Navidad ser? mayor del monto de cinco salarios m?nimos
legalmente establecido.

that's what my employer takes as the reason, that he won't pay us the full month salary as xmas salary this year.

I had never heard about this before either.

quaqualita

minn boy

Dec 2, 2003
Can somebody explain the following form

Date of ENTRANCE (dd/mm/aaaa): //

Date of EXIT (dd/mm/aaaa): //

It has taken vacations this year? NO yes
She has been pre-warned You? NO yes

ADVANCE WARNING (Art. 76):

SUSPENSION (Art. 80 years previous Code 1992):

SUSPENSION (Art. 80):

Wage VACATIONS (Art. 177):

CHRISTMAS Wage (Art. 219):

Total BENEFITS:

I do not understand
Date of ENTRANCE (dd/mm/aaaa): //

Date of EXIT (dd/mm/aaaa): //

advance warning,
suspension
Thanks minn boy

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Quaqualita, if your employer did not cap the Xmas salary before, you and the rest of your fellow employees may claim the existence of a precedent ("costumbre") at your place of employment in order to force the employer to pay in full.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
thanks for your reply Fabio.
Yes, there is an existence of a precedent ("costumbre"), our employer did not cap the Xmas salary the years before, we allways received a full month extra salary.

But our employer claims now, that last years he followed the same rule of 5 times the minimum salary and the only difference was that a we received extra money above this rule as a ?special bonus?. We should have nothing to complain about this year ,we should just be thankfull for getting an extra bonus the last years.
I have no records exept maybe the bank records from the last years, so it would be very hard to proof, if this payment was called xmas salary or special bonus (which it was not).

If legally correct or not, I think it was not a nice thing to do, my employer thinks there is nothing complain about. For the sake of all the other employees I stopped to discuss this issue with him, he already started to make life more difficult for us and stopped offering other benefits we used to get.

Life has to go on...

quaqualita