General info? help needed

shootingstar

Dec 27, 2003
Hi! I'm doing a project on the Dominican as well as planning to go visit the country with my mother in the near future. Since all you of seem so knowledgeable about the topic I was wondering if you could give me any help.

When is the best time to go visit the Dominican and what type of clothes should we pack? Are there any events that would be interesting to see that only happened at a specfic time during the year? What are typical souvenirs we could get for ourselves,friends and family members?

Okay I also have a few questions for the proejct:
- What are typical types of food? (non-americanized, i.e. no hamburgers, etc)
-What is the typical transportation?
-Who are some famous people from the Dominican Republic?
-What is the main form of communication?
-What is the national sport?

Thanks to everyone who replies and thank you for looking!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I won't tackle everything in your post, but will take a stab at a few.

First off, don't call the country "the Dominican." If you're not going to use the full name, call it the "DR."

Typical foods? Rather than rehash, I strongly suggest you visit the following website, which covers this topic extensively: http://www.dominicancooking.com/

Typical transport? Within cities, motorbikes, often referred to as "motoconchos," and taxis, either regular type or the cheap ones (often in poor physical shape) on fixed routes known as "publicos" or "conchos." In Santo Domingo & Santiago, there is also a municipal bus system.

Between cities, the common transport are buses. On main routes, they tend to be large, comfortable buses (better than Greyhounds in the US). To lesser cities there are minibuses, often crowded with no AC, but relatively cheap.

Famous people? Sports stars, of course, such as Sammy Sosa, and Baseball Hall of Famer Juan Marichal. Musical artists such as Juan Luis Guerra, who has a Grammy. Among the older folks, there was film star Maria Montez (look her up on the web), born in Barahona. [One such site is http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/2892/]. Among the notorous of course there was the dictator Trujillo. We actually had a long thread recently on famous Dominicans -- check the "search" function (button above).

Main form of communication? Basically all the forms we have in the US, except regular postal service (abysmal, totally unreliable in the DR). DR has a pretty good & modern telecom infrastructure, quite an extensive radio & TV network, and over 7 news dailies.

National sport? That's easy -- baseball. They're loco about baseball. Everything else is a distant second.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Keith