Casa de Cambios in Punta Cana

EddieW

Apr 15, 2002
I've flown into Santo Domingo many times, but next month will be my first time flying into Punta Cana. Is there a bank inside the airport with a decent rate for changing U.S. dollars similar to the one in Santo Domingo? Or are there good Casa de Cambios outside the airport? A Dominican friend of mine will be picking me up at the Punta Cana airport and driving me to a resort in Punta Cana, so if anyone knows of a good place to change dollars that's not too far out of the way outside of airport, please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Unless you absolutely have to, never exchange money at any of the following places: Airport, Hotel, Bank and someone on the street. You'll either get screwed on the rate or you may get swindled of some cash by quick hand artists (if exchanged on the street). Try to find a casa de cambio in town, if possible. You'll most likely get a much better rate.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The best area for a selection of cambios is in the Plaza Bavaro area and that is about 10 miles 20 min from the airport. Regards, PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It's on the way, sort-of. It depends on the route your friend selects to deliver you to the RIU complexes. He can side-track a little to bring you past the Plaza Bavaro area. He can take the usual route to the Arena Gorda road which leads to the RIU but bypasses the plaza. Both routes will bring you through the Friusa intersection. There are banks and ATM's in the little plazas that hug the intersection. You know you are there when you see the Texaco Station.

PJT has been getting his best exchanges in the area at the Vimenca (Western Union) at Plaza Bavaro. You would get better exchanges in Higuey, 55 km distant. The exchange advantage in Higuey however is not worth the cost of fuel to get there.

Note: The gov't requires identification when making cambio. Some exchanges ask for it, some don't. Best have your passport or a good photocopy of it handy when making transactions.

Regards, PJT

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
PJT is right...

The best place in my opinion in Bavaro is to change your dollars or euros is in one of the two little "casas de cambio" inside the Plaza Bavaro.

But my advise would be not to bring too much cash. Just the absolute minimum to pay your fist taxi and buy your first Presidente beer.

Then just ask the taxi driver to stop at one of the many ATM's available, and take money with your VISA card or just with your bank card provided it has Maestro or Cirus (check the back of your bank card).

Your own bank will give you a much better exchange rate when you electronically take the money from an ATM, then you would get for cash in any Casa de Cambio.

Welcome to the DR!