Visa Refusal for Spouse - update

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I wrote a post last year about CIC(Citizenship and Immigration Canada) refusing a Permanent Residency Visa for my husband. I wanted to give a bit of an update on our situation.

The visa refusal was in July 2003 while I was visting my husband in DR. The lawyer I was using filed an appeal on my behalf with the Immigration Appeal Division(IAD). I returned to Canada late in August. My appeal had been received by IAD on July 31, 2003. Last week my lawyer informed me that our case has been selected for a ADR(Alternative Dispute Resolution) meeting and not a hearing. The ADR is scheduled for April 15 2004. I am hopeful that we will be successful and my husband able to come to Canada sometime later this year. Finally!! We have been married now just over 2 years - together for 3 years.

If anyone else has been through the ADR or IAD hearing process and you can offer any suggestions, please do!

A warning about Immigration Consultants:

In October 2003, I found out that my lawyer wasn't a lawyer after all but a Immigration Consultant working in a Barrister's office. I was referred to this 'lawyer' from a friend who had used this 'lawyer' for an Immigration matter in the past. Luckily, I did not realize this too late and I was able to retain a real lawyer to assist me with the appeal. My biggest mistake was not checking the credenitals of this 'lawyer' before I retained him and I lost $1000 for that mistake not to mention a lot of grief!

I also referred the same person to represent a Canadian friend of mine.(another mistake I made) She also is trying to get her husband to Canada. She applied for Sponsorship with the consultant(thought to be lawyer) and to date she still does not know if she has been approved or denied as a Sponsor. The Permnant residency for her husband hasn't even started yet. The consultant has not returned her calls or emails with the information she is requesting. She doesn't even know her Client number so that she is able to call CIC or the embassy in Haiti herself! Now that she is living in DR she has not retained other counsel or tried to continue the process on her own. She is still using the consultant. :(

On another note, I know of 2 other Canadians that got married to Dominicans after we did, did not use a lawyer or a consultant and their husbands are NOW in Canada.

Does using a lawyer/consultant somehow slow down the process?

If I had to do this all over again, I would apply to CIC myself and would retain a lawyer only if necessary.

Who ever said coming to Canada was easy? :confused:

Rosanie

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I feel for you Rosanie. Question in case I've missed it. Is this "lawyer" consultant in Canada or DR?

All the best to you and your husband.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If this person was passing themselves off as a lawyer that is misrepresentation, and is a crimminal offense in Canada and I'm sure if you talk to a real lawyer, the bar might do something about it.
I didn't use a lawyer to bring my wife to Canada and the whole process took less than a year, however my mother-in-laws application was started in October 2002 and still isn't finished. Good luck in your interview.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
QUOTE=Anna Coniglio]I feel for you Rosanie. Question in case I've missed it. Is this "lawyer" consultant in Canada or DR?[/QUOTE

This consultant is in Toronto,Canada.

bob saunders

If this person was passing themselves off as a lawyer that is misrepresentation, and is a crimminal offense in Canada and I'm sure if you talk to a real lawyer, the bar might do something about it.

I was having a hard time getting ahold of this "lawyer" and was getting no response from emails and voicemail messages. That is when I decided to look for another lawyer. I had questions and concerns and wanted answers and some help. The new lawyer told me that she had never heard of this "lawyer" and would check the Ontario Bar Association to see if he was listed. I left her office and not 15 minutes later, she called me to tell me that the OBR had never heard of this guy! I was livid! I wanted to confront him about it but I also wanted all my documents that he had in his possession. He is not bound by law to return them to me. My lawyer sent a fax to his office informing him that I had retained her services and would he please contact her when the file was ready to be picked up by a courier. That same day he called me. I told him directly the reasons why I had changed counsel (I did not mention that I knew he wasn't a lawyer) and asked for him to send my file. He asked me about money and I told him what I was prepared to give him - He still wanted the rate he quoted for the appeal even though he hadn't done one thing towards the process except file the appeal in the first place! I sent a cheque but not for the amount he wanted and 2 weeks later he sent my file to my lawyer.

I am now in the works of filing a formal complaint against him.

I believe that CIC has started a Immigration Consultant referral system or something of that nature to help people find the honest consultants and not the phonies.

Thank you Anna and Bob for your support.
Rosanie

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Sorry to hear about your troubles. When I filed for my husband's visa, somehow, it only took a total of 5 months to process. I was obviously very lucky, as I've heard some horror stories...

My advice to people applying for a spousal visa (Canada):
(1) Keep records and proof of all communication - ie faxes, calling cards (even though they say they are not accepted, I sent them), phone bills, birthday/Christmas cards (etc), letters, and the like.
(2) Make a friend at the embassy. I e-mailed the embassy to ask them if I needed to wait to hear from our gov't about sponsorship before I applied with all the documents to Haiti. (prnce@dfait-maeci.gc.ca) A woman named Simone Godfrey answered my e-mail, saying that I needed to wait and submit a file number with all my documents. I could tell by her English that her first language was French, so I wrote back to her in French (even though my French is terrible), thanking her for her response. When I sent away my documents, I sent them directly to her. During the process, I found out I was pregnant, so I e-mailed her with the news, and sent a letter to her from my doctor, proving my situation. His appointment in Santo Domingo was scheduled for less than a month later.
(3) Write a letter to the embassy when you send your documents, personalizing your situation. I wrote a letter, telling them about how I met my husband, what he did in the Dominican, what he wants to do in Canada, how we lived together in the DR, etc etc etc. I think the more you can convince them that it's not just a "tourist-fling-sankie-thing", the easier it is to obtain.
(4) Show them in any way you can the bond that you have to your spouse - photos, documents claiming them beneficiary to your benefits, support letters from family, and (if possible) a letter from someone who say they will hire your spouse upon them coming to the country, etc
(5) Make sure the visa office has no reason to decline the Dominican's visa - ie drug offenses, formerly married to another foreigner, police records, etc. Make sure you know all the surprises before they do, if there are any.
(6) Pay the Record of Landing Visa ASAP, and send them proof of payment with your file.

I hope it all works out for you Rosanie!

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Alternative Dispute Resolution - update

After many months (which turned into years) of waiting and wondering WHEN and IF my husband would ever come to Canada is OVER.

The Minister of Immigration conceded to my appeal yesterday and my husband's file will continue to be processed for a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa. He will now have to have a medical exam and security clearance and then a Visa will be issued to him. From what I have been told this could take 6 months to a year before he will be able to live with me in Ottawa.

We are thrilled with the decision and still in a bit of shock. It has been a long difficult road. We are happy to have it come to an end and soon we will be able to start our life together here in Canada. We are very excited!!

I am visiting with my husband in Rio San Juan this Monday, April 19 and we are planning a huge party to celebrate!

Thanks to all who gave us their support!

Some advice to anyone undergoing an appeal with CIC - Make sure you have the evidence to back up your story and do not ever give up!

Rosanie

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Good for you. Thanks for sharing your story. I wish you and your husband all the best.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Congrats!

Now that you aren't waiting and wondering... time will fly by... use it to plan for your life together. All the best to you and your husband.

Rosanie said:
After many months (which turned into years) of waiting and wondering WHEN and IF my husband would ever come to Canada is OVER.

The Minister of Immigration conceded to my appeal yesterday and my husband's file will continue to be processed for a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa. He will now have to have a medical exam and security clearance and then a Visa will be issued to him. From what I have been told this could take 6 months to a year before he will be able to live with me in Ottawa.

We are thrilled with the decision and still in a bit of shock. It has been a long difficult road. We are happy to have it come to an end and soon we will be able to start our life together here in Canada. We are very excited!!

I am visiting with my husband in Rio San Juan this Monday, April 19 and we are planning a huge party to celebrate!

Thanks to all who gave us their support!

Some advice to anyone undergoing an appeal with CIC - Make sure you have the evidence to back up your story and do not ever give up!

Rosanie