Winterlude Festival

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
This past weekend there was a Ice Sculpture and Snow Sculpture competition during Winterlude here in Ottawa. On Friday, I went to see the sculptures and was surprised to see that there were 2 Ice Sculptures entered from Dominican Republic. The sign presenting the sculpture only listed the country and not the name of the person who created the design. I wonder who the artist is? Dominican Republic was the only submission from any country in the Caribbean - that I saw. Other submissions were from Europe, Asia, USA and Canada. DR didn't win this time - I hope they enter the competition again next year!

The winning sculptures are online: http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/winterlude/home_e.asp?flash=ye

Rosanie

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
Rosanie said:
This past weekend there was a Ice Sculpture and Snow Sculpture competition during Winterlude here in Ottawa. On Friday, I went to see the sculptures and was surprised to see that there were 2 Ice Sculptures entered from Dominican Republic. The sign presenting the sculpture only listed the country and not the name of the person who created the design. I wonder who the artist is? Dominican Republic was the only submission from any country in the Caribbean - that I saw. Other submissions were from Europe, Asia, USA and Canada. DR didn't win this time - I hope they enter the competition again next year!

The winning sculptures are online: http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/winterlude/home_e.asp?flash=ye

Rosanie

Just curious as to what the sculptures were of ? and are they in confederation park near Dow's Lake ? if you have pics maybe you could post them for all to see . Next Olympics maybe a Dominican bobsled team sponsored by Brugal .

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Just curious as to what the sculptures were of ? and are they in confederation park near Dow's Lake ? if you have pics maybe you could post them for all to see . Next Olympics maybe a Dominican bobsled team sponsored by Brugal .

What I remember seeing was a block of ice with designs and I couldn't really figure out what the sculpture was supposed to be. :disappoin Almost every other sculpture was of an animal but I could not figure out what the Dominican ice sculptures were.

They were/are located at the park across the street from City Hall near Rideau Centre. I do not have pictures but I am going back there today to get some pictures and some video of all the sculptures. If the ice sculptures are still there I will find a way to get those pictures posted here.