Haiti unrest

Ginger

Feb 16, 2004
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how and if the travel industry in the Dominican Republic will be affected by the current problems in Haiti?

Hopefully not.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Hopefully NOT

Ginger said:
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how and if the travel industry in the Dominican Republic will be affected by the current problems in Haiti?

Hopefully not.

I doubt it. Most vacationers especially from the USA know that DR and Haiti are on the same island..LOL I dont think it will effect tourism too much. Dr would definitely be doomed if tourism doesn't bring in revenue at this present time.

BTW, I read that their are flyers being passed out in DR saying that haitians are planning to reclaim Dominican soil. Personally, i think its another political stunt on the dominican side to get international aid and get rid of the present haitians in DR which BTW have no clue on what's going on in Haiti except for what they see on TV just like all of us. Also I'm haitan and I definitely wouldn't want DR to be effected by what's going in Haiti. Whether I or haitians and dominicans like it or not people innocent people on both sides of the island are facing hard times. JBA and Hippo are walking on thin ice...

But don't cancel your vacation...Bienvenido a Santo Domingo and spend all of your cash and give back to island that was the milk cow for USA and Spain, FRance... Hopefully, after we get rid of some idiots in Haiti we'll have it ready for you for half the price...LOL

Ginger

Feb 16, 2004
That is why I was wondering if it would affect the DR. It is unfortunate enough that the people in Haiti are having such a hard time. I would hate for the DR to suffer from lost tourism $ as well.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Personally, any problems in Haiti will not affect my vacation plans to the DR. I f scotland was having problems it wouldn't affect my plans for a holiday in Cornwall!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
This Ain't Cornwall. It's not Even Shard End.

tired_boy said:
Personally, any problems in Haiti will not affect my vacation plans to the DR. I f scotland was having problems it wouldn't affect my plans for a holiday in Cornwall!
I doubt it'll have any impact.

However keep in mind this is not a country that's capable of protecting or enforcing it's border. Even a million Haitian refugees against the whole 40,000 military would pretty quickly allow the one's that couldn't bribe a guard to get through, easy access. They don't have any resources what-so-ever to deal with such an influx if it does occur.

So I hope it doesn't have an impact. but if things don't get better over there I am still a bit worried about how things might shake out.

Tom aka XR Time is what keeps things from happening all at once.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Heh! The English-Scottish border is watertight!
Probably just seems that way because the British have the good fortune of knowing those Scottsman don't like foreigners giggling at their kilts. While the Haitians however actually like Dominican attire.

Tom aka XR The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
News Flash

CNN reporting Aristide will accept negotiators plan of "shared power".

Let's hope this starts to cool-off heads over there.

SaintTaris

Jan 9, 2004
We have put our travel plans on hold. The guys are now leaning towards the Cigar Aficianado Big Smoke week in Las Vegas. I am still pulling for the DR.

We are a bunch of married guys and we will probably never get another chance to travel without the wives again. We want to make it count. Initially we were set on coming to the DR for cigars, beaches and golf. The situation in Haiti has turned a few of the guys away from the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
SaintTaris said:
We have put our travel plans on hold. The guys are now leaning towards the Cigar Aficianado Big Smoke week in Las Vegas. I am still pulling for the DR.

We are a bunch of married guys and we will probably never get another chance to travel without the wives again. We want to make it count. Initially we were set on coming to the DR for cigars, beaches and golf. The situation in Haiti has turned a few of the guys away from the DR.

If it wasn't on CNN you wouldn't even know it was happening.

I honestly think some people should stay in cotton wool and stick to Vegas or Florida. After all, why in the hell would you want to visit the DR? We only have beautiful beaches, great golf, the best cigars in the world, great weather, friendly and warm people and right now it's super cheap if you have US$.

What a bunch of mommy boys!!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Needn't Have Done That

SaintTaris said:
We have put our travel plans on hold. The guys are now leaning towards the Cigar Aficianado Big Smoke week in Las Vegas. I am still pulling for the DR.We are a bunch of married guys and we will probably never get another chance to travel without the wives again. We want to make it count. Initially we were set on coming to the DR for cigars, beaches and golf. The situation in Haiti has turned a few of the guys away from the DR.
There is no impact here on the North Coast. I doubt that there will be anything noticeable at all. Everything's normal. Everything will stay normal. No worries. It's easy to become hyper-sensitive reading news reports. Scroll back to the bit about one of the free zone companies on the border being 'attacked' and in the 'shootout' guards were killed, etc. Someone who works there later related to the group through a friend that it was just some nut firing a few shots in the air, no one hurt or hardly even noticed.

That's also a long way from here. 2-3 hours by car due to the roads. The tourists are packing this place. If what you're looking for is what you've stated you'll be kicking yourself for decades for not having come down. Vegas is great, I love it. Used to have to go there 3x-4x a year, but this is much better!

Tom aka XR I had an ant farm but couldn't find tractors small enough to fit.

SaintTaris

Jan 9, 2004
XanaduRanch said:
There is no impact here on the North Coast. I doubt that there will be anything noticeable at all. Everything's normal. Everything will stay normal. No worries. It's easy to become hyper-sensitive reading news reports. Scroll back to the bit about one of the free zone companies on the border being 'attacked' and in the 'shootout' guards were killed, etc. Someone who works there later related to the group through a friend that it was just some nut firing a few shots in the air, no one hurt or hardly even noticed.

That's also a long way from here. 2-3 hours by car due to the roads. The tourists are packing this place. If what you're looking for is what you've stated you'll be kicking yourself for decades for not having come down. Vegas is great, I love it. Used to have to go there 3x-4x a year, but this is much better!

Tom aka XR I had an ant farm but couldn't find tractors small enough to fit.

I will pass this on to the guys.

Ohh and Robert, I like the Mommy Boys comment. :cool:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
SaintTaris said:
Ohh and Robert, I like the Mommy Boys comment. :cool:
Now to really speak like a Londoner all you have to do is figure out what he meant by staying "in cotton wool". By the way, when you find out exactly, would you please let me know? It can be really confusing having a conversation with Robert sometimes! LOL.

Tom aka XR Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.

Roughwater

Feb 24, 2004
No Mommy Boy Here......

Ok Robert....

I'm landing Saturday(2/28), staying 9 days at Blackbeards, Costambar.

DR1 is GREAT! Thanks for all the info. Am an old single Gringo from Calif who is going to get out and experience the total DR. Yes, I'm a slut but
have all the cigars, rum, beautiful beaches, friendly smiles and warm hearts
ready..........

Gregorio

SaintTaris

Jan 9, 2004
XanaduRanch said:
Now to really speak like a Londoner all you have to do is figure out what he meant by staying "in cotton wool". By the way, when you find out exactly, would you please let me know? It can be really confusing having a conversation with Robert sometimes! LOL.

Tom aka XR Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.

What is "in cotton wool?" I wear linen in the summer.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
SaintTaris said:

It's what they put babies in to keep them safe and secure from the outside world. It's the fluffy white stuff mommy cleaned your cuts with etc etc.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
SaintTaris said:
Ooooh! I've been looking for linen for a year here. Can't find anything except some very expensive "Oscar de la Renta" stuff around. Where do you buy it? Know of someplace I could order it online and have it sent to Miami for delivery here for me? I have searched, and searched, and searched!

I think Rob means that you'll feel 'comfortable' somehow if you're wearing 'cotton wool' although I couldn't imagine why. It itches! Worst part is trying to figure out if the colloquialisms he is using are from Britain or Australia. What a mess! :: smile :: Sorry boss!

Although for some reason I have been lately catching myself using the word 'enpitsu' fo 'lapiz' here. And I haven't spoken hardly any Japanese in a decade. Getting old and forgetful I guess.

Tom aka XR How come irons have a setting for permanent press?

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
dont worry,be happy

:cool: As some of you know we just returned from DR. While we were there no one, I mean no one brought up the subject of Haiti. I would read it inthe Miami paper every morning but the people living there did not seems to have any concerns. When we got back all the travel agents are telling prople not to go there.
So Ginger ,go and have a good time
Rami

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
one liners

Hey Tom aka XR,
Your one liners at next to your signature are very cute. Do you come up with them or you have help. It was nice to meet you.
Rami
ps I look at your weather reporting and new photo every morning and I wanna be there.

SaintTaris

Jan 9, 2004
XanaduRanch said:
Ooooh! I've been looking for linen for a year here. Can't find anything except some very expensive "Oscar de la Renta" stuff around. Where do you buy it? Know of someplace I could order it online and have it sent to Miami for delivery here for me? I have searched, and searched, and searched!

I think Rob means that you'll feel 'comfortable' somehow if you're wearing 'cotton wool' although I couldn't imagine why. It itches! Worst part is trying to figure out if the colloquialisms he is using are from Britain or Australia. What a mess! :: smile :: Sorry boss!

Although for some reason I have been lately catching myself using the word 'enpitsu' fo 'lapiz' here. And I haven't spoken hardly any Japanese in a decade. Getting old and forgetful I guess.

Tom aka XR How come irons have a setting for permanent press?

I get a good deal on linen. Send me a PM. I have to wait until spring, it is still cold here in Atlanta.