Net Access Cabarete, Again!

Jayford

Feb 20, 2004
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I have been unable to find the info I need from searches for net access in Cabarete.

I have found a place to live there, but it currently only has a phone line. So my question: is there any alternative to Codetel? I've heard it takes forever to hook up, and I can't even understand all the services and fees from reading the website.

I need something about 384k or faster, and cyber cafes won't work for me. I've heard about Cablenet/Aster but don't believe they are operating in Cabarete.

Any advice?

Jay

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
yes, Cabarete has an alternative!

go to Tele-Cabarete (in the center of town) and speak to Ramon. He can set you up with high speed internet access.

quaqualita

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I can never understand the fees from any phone company, but I have residential internet Flash from Codetel, @380k, and I spend on average just over 3,000 pesos/month, this is with some international long distance, (less than 1 hr. monthly) and a lot of calls to cel phones. I also have caller ID which is an additional charge.

Jayford

Feb 20, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Any idea how long it will take Ramon to get a connection going? I'm obviously not there yet, or I'd just ask him.

Thanks again,

Jay

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Ramon's Cabarete internet:

Jayford said:
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Any idea how long it will take Ramon to get a connection going? I'm obviously not there yet, or I'd just ask him.

Thanks again,

Jay

How long it will take to connect you, depends where exactly you're going to live in Cabarete. If there is allready somebody hooked up to Ramon nearby your house (which is very likely), he just needs to connect you with a cable to this station. If not, he needs to install a little antenna on your roof, which is normally not a big deal either.

I paid for installation 3000 Pesos (connected to an antenna nearby, if you need your own antenna installed it might cost more?) and monthly costs are 1000 Pesos.

To 98% it works great and really fast. However, there might be "blackouts", e.g when the gardener of your neighbour cuts your cable by accident, or when the generator of his 'main station' (TeleCabarete, Onno's bar) runs out of diesel (yes, it's the Dominican Republic).
I'm just telling you this, in case you need a 100% reliable internet access - you might better plan for an emergency backup intenet possibility.

So, to get a connection going is usually a matter of a few minutes / hrs at most, it's more tricky to get hold of Ramon and his technicians (yes, they are Dominicans and they like to use the word 'ma?ana').
Best is you call Ramon directly on his cell phone to make appointments or to get more info: 804-0248

quaqualita

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Just to give you a heads up of what you may encounter, I ordered Internet Flash 6 months ago. After 4 months of calling every day, I finally got the technicians to show up who installed a phone line but there was static on the line so they could not hook up the modem. Another technician would have to do that. Then I had to wait 1 month for this other technician to tell me that it is the cable out in the street that needs fixing. I called the office and they told me they cannot fix it.

I gave up after that until I received the bill for the phone line. I protested but was told that since I had the line, I had to pay for it. They did credit me for Flash service which I never got.

Now, they are telling me again that they can fix the line in the street, but its been another 4 weeks again with no action.

These people are so incompetent its unreal.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ramon is a nice fellow and does a better job than most. Just be prepared, if you need your internet connection to make a living, the level of service may not be what you would like. They do a hybrid of wireless and wired connections, and usually will get you up and going some way or another. I think they are quite ingenius with what they are doing. Anyway, do not ask how he gets his connection - It is a funny story, but essentally, he has this side-deal with codetel. Once you know him, he may let you into his secret.

Jayford

Feb 20, 2004
I'm actually renting a "condo" from one of the hotels right smack in the middle of everything. Not sure if they're gonna let me put in an antenna. I guess I'll just see what shakes out. I can always just wing it at a cyber cafe until I get connected I guess.

I can also rent a place with flash already installed, but at twice the rent (I landed a killer deal on the place I will be staying).

Cheers,

Jay

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm sure Ramon will be able to help you in some way or another. Depending where you are, Ramon's latest claim to fame is that he has the whole of Cabarete's main road wireless enabled. He actually laid some backbone cable and did a whole lot of development. Your building may even be ready for a wireless connection.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
yes, I agree with Chris.
If the condo you're going to rent is on the main road, it shouldn't be a problem to hook you up to Ramon's internet. Most homes / bars / offices there are allready connected to him.

quaqualita

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but....

.....do you actually have to have phone service to hook uo to Ramon's service?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Camden Tom said:

It depends whether his wireless extends to where you are Camden Tom. I don't keep up with Ramon day to day :sleep: But if has has enabled your area, you don't need a phone.... Just a computer and some gizmo's that Ramon can supply!

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Camden Tom said:

no, has nothing to do with a phone line - I don't have a phone line either.
I know that most of the Cabarete center, ProCab and even Camino Del Sol is hooked up to Ramon's service.

From earlier posts I read that your house is close to the police station, I'm not sure if somebody else in your area is already hooked up or if Ramons cables go to this area yet. If not a small antenna on your house should do.
Best is give Ramon a call, I'm sure he will figure something out if you're interested.

quaqualita

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
thanks Chris and Qq

I'll give Ramone a visit. We've been waiting months for a phone connection. It may never happen. If we hooked up to Ramone, we wouldn't need a phone.

Jayford

Feb 20, 2004
Got it covered

Spoke with the place I'm renting from, and they say its already hooked up, they just need to "turn it on" to my unit if I wish to pay the fee. They say its Verizon, used to be Codetel flash.

I think I lucked out on this one.

Thanks again guys,

Jay

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hats off to the guy in Cabarete for setting up a wireless network!

I'm surprised Codetel (Verizon) let him?

These days it's so much easier and with very little effort you can wire a town.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert said:
I'm surprised Codetel (Verizon) let him?

These days it's so much easier and with very little effort you can wire a town.

Wellllll, don't say too much about this one.... In the DR, one can do things that one cannot always do so easily elsewhere. Yes, and he saw the gap and wired it! He is a really nice guy as well.

Blue Sea WISP

May 18, 2004
Thanks for your Words here. If you need more update info about it, e-mail me !

Thanks a lot for words, I am Ramon if you need any more info about internet access here is e-mail: spm23do@yahoo.com

Ramon
Blue Sea WISP :knockedou