Thanks for the forum -- Viva la RD!

Rockkon

Mar 6, 2004
Hi guys,

First, thanks for being here. The posts are entertaining and informative, the Arcade is great! Someday I will be the Penguin Bashing King!

Second, our trip in July will be our first to the DR (Fun Royale/Tropicale [yes, the AI]). I am reading about it, learning poco espanol, and generally just plain getting excited.

The questions we have are:

Since your election is in June (ahem... May), would we be better off converting USD to RD dollars prior to our trip in July or would it not make that big a difference?

What things are most missed there and would make good gifts for the hotel staff and people we run into? I saw RedGirl's post about soap and shampoo and know to bring washcloths. Are there certain things that are always rare or is it seasonal (as in import shipments) and better to ask closer to the trip?

The AI is around $245 USD a week/per person. If we were to forego the AI, how much would the typical expenses be to eat each meal in a restaurant, snorkel, and get around? The wife is pretty set on the AI, but I am curious as to what the profit margin is for the hotel.

I suppose tourism is tourism regardless, but is there anything, in your opinions, in the upcoming election that would effect our two week stay?

Thanks again for a great site.

Rock On

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Your hotel has many restaurants to choose from. Take the AI. Imagine you are getting free meals for the price of accommodations. Those are great rates.See http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/funroyale_tropicale.shtml

Feel free to take a day or two off to travel out to Cabarete. I would even overnight there to enjoy the restaurants on the beach at night. Take another day to visit Sosua -- preferably on a Sunday, so you can enjoy brunch at Sosua Bay hotel and enjoy the beach at the same time.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re converting money, you'll have plenty of time between the May election and your July departure to decide where to convert. At present, I see no need to convert in advance.

Plan your trip without worrying about the election.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
And if you do convert your money in the DR Ai hotel.........don't, the hotels always offer lower rates then elsewhere. Check out a few places in the DR before changing!