Carnaval Dominicano:an overview

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Again, I personally went to see the late-scheduled Carnaval de Santo Domingo at the Malecon this Sunday, which started on time at about 3pm. This time it originated from Avenida del Puerto west to Lincoln Avenue, instead of viceversa. To me that was a better set up. I always promise never to come back, because of the unorganized nature of this event. I was pleased, however, that the attendance was down by almost 30% and only near the end, the things just got out of hand and the "tigueres" took over.
I really enjoyed the afternoon. The diablos, specially those from La Vega are truly magnificent and have nothing to envy Rio's schools costumes.The best costume I saw were the Centennial Dukes, formerly Dukes de Baninter. But they were very disorganized. Many of the other town's diablos and comparsas are getting better. But this will not turn into another Rio for many decades, if at all. There is just no way to control the "tigueres". They own this carnival, lock, stock and barrel. Miss Dominican Republic candidates were all there...very beautiful chicks. Robalagallina and travestites were attractions as usual. I have learned to enjoy this more as a Sunday walk festival than a carnival.
TW