Colocation In Santo Domingo

usvifundsDR

Mar 25, 2004
Are there any colocation facilities in Santo Domingo. We are looking for a Colocation for our Dominican Republic business. Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you require "real" uptime and support, then forget colocating here.

It's expensive, unreliable and the peering is bad!

Why would you not colocate in the USA?

usvifundsDR

Mar 25, 2004
Robert said:
If you require "real" uptime and support, then forget colocating here.

It's expensive, unreliable and the peering is bad!

Why would you not colocate in the USA?

Thanks . We need to colocate in Santo Domingo . 99.99 of the traffic will be from DR. We just need redundancy to guarantee close 100% uptime and backup generators.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
usvifundsDR said:
Thanks . We need to colocate in Santo Domingo . 99.99 of the traffic will be from DR. We just need redundancy to guarantee close 100% uptime and backup generators.

Maybe you should pay just a little more attention to Robert's comment. Some of us do understand the reliability of the facilities here. If you don't want to colo in the US, try Switzerland - excellent facilities there, or even the C&W datacenter in Barbedos. But Santo Domingo colo, and 'uptime', does not work in the same sentence.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I would have to strongly disagree with both responses by the DR1'ers, If you do want to co-locate in the DR and have a need for redundancy and 999999 uptime it's do-able as a matter of fact I own a server farm in the DR and I keep most of my critical data in a secured perimeter, I provide my own energy source and uptime has been unequaled by any of my servers currently in the US and Barbados, you HAVE TO take care of it yourself, co-location it's for the most part a headache when the need to grow your current alocation happens, you can get US like top quality service from the local Verizon telecom company there, I currently use a custom made power generator with inverters and line conditioners designed and fabricated by a local electro-mechanic engineer in the DR, I have more power than I could ever need to say the least.

I use several NAS subsystems in the petabyte and terabytes, I can grow as needs arise and uptime has been unparalled since I initiated, several of my clients whom stored safe copies of their data were kissing their behinds for months after 9/11, to say that you can't support a server and have a decent uptime in the DR compared to the uptime registered by 90% of the US industry is totally absurd and not well informed, as a matter of fact I'm getting ready to build a facility in Santiago to acommodate my existing network there as well as a new and totally OC12 and OC48 port station.

If your budget is flexible enough to acommodate a hefty initial investment that surely will pay for itself in a short time as well as offering you room to grow your biz as need it, then by all means do your homework and the local laws governning Internet biz traffic are quite more clear than those in the US and EU to say the least, if R.O.I. it's a very important part of your biz then I strongly suggest you pay a well known and respectable Biz consulting agency regarding this matter in the DR, and good luck!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
PICHARDO: With all due respect, talk is cheap.

How do we know you provide reliable hosting that your clients are ecstatically happy with? I have enough trouble getting good hosting from the USA.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
adrianb said:
PICHARDO: With all due respect, talk is cheap.

How do we know you provide reliable hosting that your clients are ecstatically happy with? I have enough trouble getting good hosting from the USA.

I don't offer web hosting or colocation or web space or server space, I DO OFFER my clients critical data storage and legacy data mining, also I currently support a Prepaid MasterCard private label client with top of the line support and uptime has been outstanding to date, NO server can offer 100% uptime!!! maybe when they come up with an OS that supports this to be true maybe then it will be a possibility, as of now only if you run Linux on a custom level can you achieve some control, other than that I haven't claimed or professed anything of a perfect hosting solution.

How do you find out if I offer a great package?
You can become a customer of mine, depending on what your biz is all about and if I can fulfill your needs and accommodate for those I can offer a secondary support for, currently I can provide:

Legacy data mining, full cataloged line of products in any order with no incompatibility issues at all, critical NAS sub backup for up to 1 terabyte (will meet client needs for a reasonable price), Live on-line visual (non audio app) backup for transactions over VPN and TELNET, secured critical data storage for top clients with full legal protection and date-timed auto destroy of electronic files non volatile ecc mem resident data, secure ACH transaction record storage non volatile ecc mem resident data, PTP caching support (network dependant), fully secured private INTERSAT VPN support alpha bit scrambling, other needs are on a need to know basis...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Show me what the pings and latency are like, plus the list of Tier 1 providers your using? If you offer no "real" redundancy, what is the point?

Sorry, I stand by my original answer.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Why don't I provide you with my business while I'm at it???
Go ask your service provider to show you the pings and latency and the east or west backbone they commit to, and why not?! they should also include the trunk relay just for the heck of it!

When I move to OC12 and OC48 my next goal will be OC192 for the DR market, now that sure will beat the local telco and int. interests there...

Again if you need any services within those I described hereto in my posts then I'll gladly arrange a meeting in NY to go over your needs and those I could provide for your company, other than that I'm not too interested in chest thumping or dares of any kind.

A hint:
Is good to have a dab in a submarine cable once in a while!

Have a nice day!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Sad to say that Verizon killed everyone by using its money weight to get the DR gov to allow their trunk to be shut to competition after we had placed our trunk there.

Just as Tricom can't expand any further into the home market due to this monopoly control over the line networks that are the primary conduit to be able to serve the most important and affluent share of the local market (banks, etc); So has Verizon made it almost impossible for anyone to compete in a equal footing to all.

We sold our operations to Tricom not sooner than when we finished placing our first trunk and once the permits were being required from the now INDOTEL, we come to the knowledge that Verizon still owns the rights to the conduits in the major markets and either we deal with them as in pay for to use their conduits or we had to make our own (financial disaster).

The only thing that still makes me happy is that our trunk was light years ahead of Verizon and yet it took Tricom the better half of the rest of the year to put it in operations.

The DR is only open to big monopolies if you want to try and take a chunk of the market by offering better and more reliable services. Case in point is the French "Orange".

I wonder if the market would have reacted as expected had our company been able to secure the rights to wire the most important cities with OC to the trunk and to SAT.
Only by observing the evolution of WiMax in the DR can I be sure that our plan would have worked as planned...

But I can't complaint much! We made our August with Tricom's offer

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Who knows what could have happened :) As you say, Verizon's monopoly really killed off the competition in this area. Onemax are bringing in their own fibers from Sprint as of early next year, that independence should make them more competitive and I'm sure Codetel will react to that.

The DR is going WiMax mad right now, even Tricom are trying to get in on the action, although I think their announcement was a way to try and increase their very sad share price.

I met with the people of OneMax last week, and it makes a refreshing change to chat with a dynamic young company, full of energy here. I hope they make it and do great things here, they are well backed and have good people.

I'm looking forward one day in the very near future to surfing the web at speeds greater than 1.5MB :)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
But I can't complaint much! We made our August with Tricom's offer

Pichardo: you make some pretty big statements on DR1 between these postings and your planned car business. I'd love for them to be true.

Since this deal with Tricom has been closed, why don't you share some of the specifics (eg dealsize, revenues, etc).

Adrian

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
BTW Robert our RT Latency was 75 milliseconds and better, we offered 85 milliseconds as the standard to clients.

As for our Tier-1 redundancy we used network load balancing along that they were independent of each other from the directory services and as such provided a safer system that others. We had duplicate servers running with different (customer options) Raid configurations to allow the data to be saved in mirror tape backups as a cluster.

We also made sure to have the front servers act as first alarm to any DDS attacks, intrusion and any external threats. So that way the secondary was always up and running and the attacks were bounced off the next security detail. We offered PCI with AMEX, VISA, MC and some others major Banks.

At the time we sold to Tricom we had no less than 375 clusters in operations and a potential of 100 more to come active as soon as the trunk was integrated.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo: you make some pretty big statements on DR1 between these postings and your planned car business. I'd love for them to be true.

Since this deal with Tricom has been closed, why don't you share some of the specifics (eg dealsize, revenues, etc).

Adrian
We opted for Tricom shares and liquidation of all of our company's debts to outsiders. The deal without the debt take over and assumed responsibilities was very good; we can't vent any amounts as we're bound by the contract as shareholders...

Just so you can understand a trunk is worth a lot of money, just use some internet savvy and you'll get an idea. The car idea is that! An idea that so far has taken good money to carry along... A car company needs lots, lots, lots, lots, etc... Of money to even start out; as such we take our time doing the right thing before we commit to the same monopoly games played in the DR.

Revenues were on par to Verizons 30% share of the market (IT)!!! That's what got us noticed quickly and our lines cut clean (so to speak).

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Who knows what could have happened :) As you say, Verizon's monopoly really killed off the competition in this area. Onemax are bringing in their own fibers from Sprint as of early next year, that independence should make them more competitive and I'm sure Codetel will react to that.

The DR is going WiMax mad right now, even Tricom are trying to get in on the action, although I think their announcement was a way to try and increase their very sad share price.

I met with the people of OneMax last week, and it makes a refreshing change to chat with a dynamic young company, full of energy here. I hope they make it and do great things here, they are well backed and have good people.

I'm looking forward one day in the very near future to surfing the web at speeds greater than 1.5MB :)

Tricom can offer good PSTN services with their acquired hardware the thing is that they have to dig their own trenches to lay down the cabling as Verizon won't let you take a puff of fresh air if you go by them...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
To think that I became a DR1 member because a gnat of a friend used my last name to open this account via my laptop is crazy to say the least!!!

He's now in the DR after spending a good part of his young adult life living in NY without documentation, because of his own stupidity...

I guess I owe him a FRIA! LOL!!! Maybe some Nikes are in order too? Nahhhhh!!!!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Revenues were on par to Verizons 30% share of the market (IT)!!! That's what got us noticed quickly and our lines cut clean (so to speak).

Pichardo, I appreciate your taking the time to respond. But I investigate internet startups for a living. While what you've said here sounds impressive, I am told this kind of stuff all the time. You haven't clearly stated any numbers. You will gain greater credibility on DR1 and perhaps resources and contacts to help in future ventures if you are more specific and we can clearly see what you are saying is real.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Let?s see:
One must show numbers? Data? To back up anything you say...
I can't think of something as of right now that would make much sense to disclose about an issue that I'm legally bound not to and furthermore not in need to disclose personal financial information.
It's like if you asked Robert for the numbers and related data on DR1.
It's that simple! Some things you can talk about, others not...

I think it's sad that we're talking here like kids would in dares as if we didn't know enough to form an educated opinion regarding the available data already disclosed...

I share personal experience to aid and illustrate examples given to other posters, not to be judged about the merits of my own experience or have nots.

You can take it at face value or dismiss it entirely at your own discretion...
I know I do the same with others here that is without dares...