Nonimmigrant K1 visa fee for the approved petitionee? Help please?

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I know much about the K1 visas but was informed by someone that at the Consulate in Santo Domingo, there is a sign that states there is a 355US fee to just stamp an approved visa to go to the US. This seems absurb to me and I was unware of this fact. To my knowledge if the petitionee had a Dominican passport, paid for the medical exam, and paid the 100US application fee and was approved for the visa, that was all. I find it hard to believe that after the visa is approved they would require 355US to just stamp the Visa. Is there any basis to this? I have looked online and in archive and have found no mention of this. If there is someone who has recently sponsored someone on a K1 visa, or knowledgeable about this matter, I would appreciate a response.
dale7(Howard)

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
Yes, i'm afraid that is true. I'm not sure about the sign, or $355, I was told by the consulate when I called that it was $335US to get the visa stamped in the passport after our K1 interview. Our interview is Apr. 13th, so if you dont' need to know immediately, I will be more than happy to update you when I return to the states. good luck.

P.S.
any information you have about the interview, feel free to email me. I've tried to gather as much information/stories as I could find....but any addditional info on what to expect would be great.

dale7 said:
I know much about the K1 visas but was informed by someone that at the Consulate in Santo Domingo, there is a sign that states there is a 355US fee to just stamp an approved visa to go to the US. This seems absurb to me and I was unware of this fact. To my knowledge if the petitionee had a Dominican passport, paid for the medical exam, and paid the 100US application fee and was approved for the visa, that was all. I find it hard to believe that after the visa is approved they would require 355US to just stamp the Visa. Is there any basis to this? I have looked online and in archive and have found no mention of this. If there is someone who has recently sponsored someone on a K1 visa, or knowledgeable about this matter, I would appreciate a response.
dale7(Howard)

Apr 26, 2002
Huh? I paid nothing. I think the fee to which you are referring only applies to tourist visas. Better call the Consulate.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
I just had a friend go through the K-1 process and her interview in February. They did not have to pay the$355 in addition to what they have already paid. I think this is only for the Tourst Visas.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Attny2b,

I do have some questions for your regarding your process with the K-1 and the US Embassy in the DR. I am also in the process of the K-1 for my fiancee. They received the documents from the National Visa Center back in February and sent my fiancee Packet #3 on 2/4. By March 3rd, he had not received anything and we called them back, but as you probably know, you do not deal with the Consulate directly, except with the Visa Information Services # that charges your credit card when you call. They advised that they would send out another packet and we still have not received that one either. I called them yesterday, and they told me that we just had to give it extra time.

Well, our NOA expires in May and we are already in April and I was just wondering did you have the same experience with them and if you can recommend what to do. I asked them if he could pick up the packet, but they said the Consulate no longer allows that. I swear that these people down at the Visa Information Center, which is located in Mexico, have no idea what they are doing. The only other thing that I can think of is visiting the US Embassy myself when I get down there in the end of April and hope they let me in and give me the documents that day, but that still means, we won't get an appointment in May.

attny2b said:
Yes, i'm afraid that is true. I'm not sure about the sign, or $355, I was told by the consulate when I called that it was $335US to get the visa stamped in the passport after our K1 interview. Our interview is Apr. 13th, so if you dont' need to know immediately, I will be more than happy to update you when I return to the states. good luck.

P.S.
any information you have about the interview, feel free to email me. I've tried to gather as much information/stories as I could find....but any addditional info on what to expect would be great.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
This must be something brand new because the US consulate verified that it is a 335US tariff imposed on K1 visas and are treating them as nonimmigrant visas but use extra forms to treat them as immigrant visas as well, because they are hybrids, which lawyer informed me today they can do. Each consulate in a country can determine any additional fees to stamp the visa and the DR is a rare exception, almost all countries for k1's only charge the 100US application fee and treat them solely as a nonimmigrant visa without extra forms or fees. This must be something new in regards to the DR. Lawyer doesn't know if there are any additional fees for a minor child involved as an attachment to the fiancee k1 visa and has his own dominican passport, if he would be charged 335 US as well. Freakin crooks.
dale7(Howard)

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
We thought we were going to have to pay $300 or so for ours back in 2002, but in the end the K1 only cost $65 USD.... but we had it all just in case...when I asked they said oh the $300 is for B class aka tourist visa....but better have it on hand just in case!

Good Luck

dwntwn22

Aug 25, 2003
I saw the sign you are refering too while there in October, and I started to panic I didnt have enough cash on hand for the fee...I got the money together, when on the second day, because of course on the first day they tell you the computers are not working and they cant give you the visa on that day and try to make you come back the next week...Of course, I demanded to talk to someone because I had no-refundable airline tickets and wasnt comming back next week, so they let us come back the next day..Stamped the visa and off we went...however, the first packet mysteriously never arrived either and they make you wait for 30-60 days and then they will issue a duplicate..all in all the process took exactly 5 months from the time I applied to the time my husband arrived here...He got the K-3 visa which allows familys to be together while waiting for the reqular visa which takes a two year period...Once here then there is the wait for the work authorization which took 4 more months, and now you have to pay 350.00 to adjust the status....$120.00 us for the work authorization and $65 us. to process the afidavit of support...the list goes on....but the answer was we DID NOT HAVE TO PAY THE $300 OR SO THAT WAS UP ON THE SIGN...And good luck...let me know if you have any other questions I would be glad to answer, having just gone through this...

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
kjdrga said:
We thought we were going to have to pay $300 or so for ours back in 2002, but in the end the K1 only cost $65 USD.... but we had it all just in case...when I asked they said oh the $300 is for B class aka tourist visa....but better have it on hand just in case!

Good Luck
I am so confused right now, I get so many conflicting stories that I don't know what to believe. I guess I will just have to make sure I have the money on me in case but I just am not going to pay up without knowing for sure and I would hate to have to pay for my fiancee and our son that amount.

My K1 appointment is at 6:15 am on April 21. I was going to let it end but decided to obtain an extension because it was about ready to expire. can't Total lawyer costs for me for the K1 was 1740.54US including translations of birth certificates, and packages, etc. My lawyer who I thought was good, is lazy and has me doing all the calling and isn't worth a da.n, I guess you get what you pay for. What confidence I have when I call to ask a question and the lawyer replies about half the time, I can't seem to find her paperwork she's from Mexico, right? I will just have the 335US on me in case and play it by ear. I wish my lawyer wasn't such a dumba$$ and lazy and would work for the money. Is it just me or don't you just want to blow up the phone trying to get ahold of someone who knows something at the Consulate, never minding going through that whole selection pushing buttons on the phone, and having to pay about 9US a phone call to talk to a know nothing.
dale7(Howard) (this DR trip only 2 days of partying/chasing women, then a whole different life, God help me)

Last edited:

Jobito

Jun 9, 2003
FYI - Please read

dale7 said:
I am so confused right now, I get so many conflicting stories that I don't know what to believe. I guess I will just have to make sure I have the money on me in case but I just am not going to pay up without knowing for sure and I would hate to have to pay for my fiancee and our son that amount.

I just had muy interview 3 weeks ago, and I know of the sign that you mention you saw. I also was worried. That FEE DOES NOT APPLY FOR THE K-1 VISA PROCESS. The $335 is for people who have their resident visa interviews. Since the fee can be paid in the US by whoever is your sponsor, the consulate makes sure that you either have the receipt of the payment being made in the US or the payment being made in DR (Banco Popular). Again, if you are going through the K1 process, all you need to do prior to the interview is make sure you paid the $100 dollars in el Banco Popular and show your receipt.

I just went through the same process three weeks ago and my fiancee had her visa stamped without a problem. The majority of the people who have interviews that day are requesting resident visas - K-1 visas are minimum compared to the number of people in there. I just checked the visa information center and no changes have been made to prove me otherwise. Any changes whatsoever would have been posted on their website. They wont sneak up on you like that, trust me.

attny2b

Jul 3, 2003
Feel free to email me directly if you'd like, so as not to take up the post with our specific problems, but for now, I'll answer your questions with my experiences as best I can. First off, your NOA expiration date no longer matters since the United States Consulate in Santo Domingo has all of your information. That's what the visa information center told me (yes, the one that's in Mexico and charges your credit card each time you call). I had a similar experience with my fiance not receiving his documents as the mail is not so good in the DR. I called the consulate after 4 weeks when my fiance didn't receive the packet, they told me I had to give it 6 weeks. Of course I called back 2 weeks later, once the 6 weeks had passed and they made an appointment for my fiance to pick up the packet at the embassy. They told me he could come any day but only at 1pm(that's when they have "open appointments" whatever that means"). You do have to notify them of the day your fiance will be coming so that his name will be put on a list and the documents will be ready. For this reason, I wouldn't just show up to the consulate and ask for your documents. Please keep in mind that even though they tell you to be there at 1pm, it may be a couple hours before his/her name is called to receive the documents. At least that's what happened to Victor. Well, I hope this helps. Good luck!

negrecita2003 said:
Attny2b,

I do have some questions for your regarding your process with the K-1 and the US Embassy in the DR. I am also in the process of the K-1 for my fiancee. They received the documents from the National Visa Center back in February and sent my fiancee Packet #3 on 2/4. By March 3rd, he had not received anything and we called them back, but as you probably know, you do not deal with the Consulate directly, except with the Visa Information Services # that charges your credit card when you call. They advised that they would send out another packet and we still have not received that one either. I called them yesterday, and they told me that we just had to give it extra time.

Well, our NOA expires in May and we are already in April and I was just wondering did you have the same experience with them and if you can recommend what to do. I asked them if he could pick up the packet, but they said the Consulate no longer allows that. I swear that these people down at the Visa Information Center, which is located in Mexico, have no idea what they are doing. The only other thing that I can think of is visiting the US Embassy myself when I get down there in the end of April and hope they let me in and give me the documents that day, but that still means, we won't get an appointment in May.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Attny2b,

Thank you for your response. I wanted to email you directly, but when I go into your profile, it says that you do not want to receive email messages and I also can't send you a private message. Would you please PM and maybe that way we can talk. I really need to find out what you said to the people at the Visa Information Center that they allowed you to give them a date to have your fiancee pick up his packet. Please PM me.

attny2b said:
Feel free to email me directly if you'd like, so as not to take up the post with our specific problems, but for now, I'll answer your questions with my experiences as best I can. First off, your NOA expiration date no longer matters since the United States Consulate in Santo Domingo has all of your information. That's what the visa information center told me (yes, the one that's in Mexico and charges your credit card each time you call). I had a similar experience with my fiance not receiving his documents as the mail is not so good in the DR. I called the consulate after 4 weeks when my fiance didn't receive the packet, they told me I had to give it 6 weeks. Of course I called back 2 weeks later, once the 6 weeks had passed and they made an appointment for my fiance to pick up the packet at the embassy. They told me he could come any day but only at 1pm(that's when they have "open appointments" whatever that means"). You do have to notify them of the day your fiance will be coming so that his name will be put on a list and the documents will be ready. For this reason, I wouldn't just show up to the consulate and ask for your documents. Please keep in mind that even though they tell you to be there at 1pm, it may be a couple hours before his/her name is called to receive the documents. At least that's what happened to Victor. Well, I hope this helps. Good luck!

rayroc

Apr 14, 2004
The Suspect Embassy in S.D

negrecita2003 said:
Attny2b,

I had the same problem with the consulate in Santo Domingo regarding the supposed mailing of a K-1 packet. NVC mailed a approved application to SD embassy Dec 7th. On the 12th, the consulate claimed they "mailed" K-1 packet #3. On January 15th my fiancee still had not receive the packet so I called to find out the reason. They claimed they didn't know and would send out a second one, which of course never arrived. The embassy never mailed any such packet so we had to pick it in person,but we had to "wait" until January 29th. Our interview was on March 29th. During the interview the consular officer stated that the "computer was down" and that he would be right with us. after waiting for some time another staff member told us that the officer was gone for the day and that we would have to come back the next day but we would have first priority. The next day we had no such priority waiting almost 6 hours for this consular officer. This officer stated that another "interview" was needed without any explanation. The consulate is very unprofessional with deplorable conduct . I have filed a formal complaint against this embassy and have asked for an investigation. I would be very careful of this embassy with its questionable practices and let Department of Homeland Security know of any problems you encounter.
Rayroc

Last edited: