Tricom network routing

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hi,

Does anyone know what network Tricom users for their DSL service to the USA? I am trying to get stable redundant network service here in the DR.

The pricing for Tricom's service, is here:

http://www.tricom.net/internet_negocios_adsl.htm

From doing an external traceroute to their main server, it seems like they use Sprint for their connectivity, while Verizon uses AT&T.

Does anyone have recent direct experience with Tricom's DSL offerings?

Adrian

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
So far to my understanding Tricom has been using their own trunk in both ends one in the DR and one in NY, they use several systems to improve redundancy like ISC, MW, INTERSAT, TGRAPH among others, they improved vastly with the introduction of Motorola in the playing field and the ability of the CIO's to guaranteed the company full part in the SubCab Conn, they're competitors to AT&T as well as all the other alphabet soup.

Yet they couldn't keep the momentum they gained on their IPO and are not that better or worse than Verizon when it comes to Porting.

As far as Sprint services offered by Tricom it wouldn't be a first since they all commit to equal deals to gain a broader share of their home markets respectively, things money do!

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tricom is going out of business soon. It is run (down) by some of the same guys form Bancredito. Tricom is a farce and I wouldn't get too dependent on it.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Hummmm, you seem to know a thing or two about the inner workings of Tricom top ladder so well...

I guess the fact that it was going to or was deslisted from the market has any bearing on your comments or just pure coincidence???

Things that make you go HUMMMMMMMM!!!!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
They may have financial trouble, but they have too many customers to vanish completely. Someone will take over their customer base if they do a BanInter.

Also I won't be dependent on them, they will be my second internet route out of the country. Verizon will remain my primary.

So is anyone using Tricom's DSL service currently? Or do I get to be a guineapig again?

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
So have you got a better solution?

My options in Santiago:

Verizon (which I have and is generally good)
Aster (which uses Verizon's network)
cable.net (which is apparently terrible)
Tricom (probably unreliable, although many internet cafes use it)
Satellite (too expensive, far too much latency)

What do you suggest I do to get network redundancy?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
OK...

First of all what's your budget allocation for 1st class redundancy, what's the actual threshold you're currently looking for in MS, what realistic Packet Delivery Statistics are you aiming for (no bs here please), do you currently use some of your bandwidth for VOIP? If so what percentage do you consider you use monthly?

Do you currently deploy DOS modules in your portals? If so by which company? What's the actual heaviest usage amount experienced so far by your network and how did it perform internally in that particular occasion?

Are you willing to commit to relocating your central within a reasonable distance to achieve maximum results?

How about if you had the opportunity to own a 100% dormant backup with an on-demand service for full response within 43.044 ms to 75.088?

Please let me know so I can offer some suggestions, otherwise stick to Verizon for the long haul and prepare for the worst and hope for the best to save a wad of money for now if your company can't spend a considerable amount of money or commit to a SLA greater than one year.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
adrianb said:
So have you got a better solution?

My options in Santiago:

Verizon (which I have and is generally good)
Aster (which uses Verizon's network)
cable.net (which is apparently terrible)
Tricom (probably unreliable, although many internet cafes use it)
Satellite (too expensive, far too much latency)

What do you suggest I do to get network redundancy?
Adrian, even right here, Orange has a 56K wireless service available via their cell tower. One of the neighbors uses that as their primary access. It's cheap. Less than US$100 for the equipment, and just a few thousand pesos a month. And the bonus is that with a laptop you can use it anywhere, not just at home.

I don't know if it's available in Santiago. It is available in Santo Domingo, and here, off the tower across from Sea Horse Ranch, apparently.

Tom aka XR You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
Adrian, even right here, Orange has a 56K wireless service available via their cell tower. One of the neighbors uses that as their primary access. It's cheap. Less than US$100 for the equipment, and just a few thousand pesos a month. And the bonus is that with a laptop you can use it anywhere, not just at home.

I don't know if it's available in Santiago. It is available in Santo Domingo, and here, off the tower across from Sea Horse Ranch, apparently.

Tom aka XR You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Interesting idea. It costs RD $1600/month for unlimited access, which isn't bad. The only catch is that it won't do VoIP, it would be too slow. But as an emergency backup, it looks good. I checked out their routing to their main server, and it looks like a completely different route compared to Tricom and Verizon.