Is it possible to be subpoened here

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
I live here in the DR and have reason to believe i will be part of a civil lawsuit in the U.S....I have 2 questions..first, can you be served a subpoena here for a civil case and secondly if there is a judgement against you can your assets here be seized?
Once again this civil not criminal.
Thanks for any advice

JAMIE

Jun 10, 2002
What about go after you even you put the assets in a corporation?

Escott said:
I would put my assets in a corporation in the DR just for kicks and giggles if I were in your position.

Escott

Escott:

This is another question pop up to my mind, even you put all the assets in a corporation's name, since we know the corporation is a legal entity (third party) , theoretically, the assets in the corporation can not be touched.

But I think cases also happen, if the court can find out someone by setting up a corporation to avoid the lawsuit, then the court still can freeze the assets in the corporation, settle all disputable things (say, civil lawsuit whatever) , and the balance of the assets goes back to the corporation if there is any left over.

Let me share your thinks. Thanks.

Jamie

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I think everyone is referring to U.S. corporate laws. I would like to see opinions on the long arm of the U.S. reaching into the D.R. to seize this person's assets. I think that is what his question is. I don't know about the laws of the DR, but just because you get incorporated in the U.S. does not distance yourself from liabilities of the corporation.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't know that it would be so easy for someone to find a name on a corp or even if it was in someone else name with letters of resignation which is common in the RD.

But then again I have used corps for reasons other than the one asked so I am not sure if that is a failsafe way to protect assets.

He was also talking about a civil case and not a criminal case so I do believe you will be safe with the corp. If the US wants you bad enough they will get you but an individual or corp probably won't know the game in the RD.

This is of course just my thoughts.

Scott

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
This applies to Canada but it may be similar

Escott said:
I don't know that it would be so easy for someone to find a name on a corp or even if it was in someone else name with letters of resignation which is common in the RD.

But then again I have used corps for reasons other than the one asked so I am not sure if that is a failsafe way to protect assets.

He was also talking about a civil case and not a criminal case so I do believe you will be safe with the corp. If the US wants you bad enough they will get you but an individual or corp probably won't know the game in the RD.

This is of course just my thoughts.

Scott

You did not say if the action has actually already been commenced but I assume that you are the Defendant in an action and have already been served with the Statement of Claim? If so, was this done in the U.S. or in the DR because if they found you in the DR then, they obviously have the means to track you down again. I assume the action has been commenced because because you would not have to be subpoened unless a Pre-Trial or Trial was pending? If you were served with a Statement of Claim and did not deliver a Statement of Defence, the Plaintiff could automatically move to get Judgment against you and would not need to subpoena you at all. Once (and if) a Judgment is received (either because you defaulted on not delivering a Statement of Defence or the matter has gone Trial and the Plaintiff won) the Plaintiff still has to take steps to collect the money from you. This would involve such things as seizing property (land or possessions like a car, etc.), garnishing your wages or seizing funds held in any U.S. bank account. I think it would prove EXTREMELY difficult for someone to collect on a U.S. monetary Judgment in the DR. First of all, make sure if you have any funds in the U.S. in bank accounts that you move them out of the country because a simple search on your social security number will reveal any bank accounts you have and a U.S. bank will be obligated to dole over your funds or they will be held responsible for satisfying the Judgment. This is a civil action and from what I understand of Dominican law, a U.S. civil Judgment is not worth the paper it is written on as far as seizing possessions, etc. in the DR. Don't take my word for this but these are questions I would ask the legal authorities in the DR. Also, if the action hasn't even been commenced yet... it will take years before you ever have to worry about have to pay out money!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
backinthedr said:
I live here in the DR and have reason to believe i will be part of a civil lawsuit in the U.S....I have 2 questions..first, can you be served a subpoena here for a civil case and secondly if there is a judgement against you can your assets here be seized?
Once again this civil not criminal.
Thanks for any advice

Unless your civil lawsuit in the US takes a turn to the worst as in criminal charges resulting for your actions then you shouldn't worry about your assets in the DR being taken over by a civil court's order in the US since they aren't enforceable due to DR laws.

But and a big one at it, if you keep your liquid assets in an international bank in the DR, for example Chase or the like your assets are in fact available for any US legal institution with a court order to see but not to touch, this could bring you extra problems since they could prove safe heaven of your funds overseas and therefore you could become the target of subsequent court charges in the US, and you don't want that since DR law doesn't provide safe heaven to foreign nationals whom are the targets of money laundering and added multitude of other things therefore making your assets the target of DR's seizure and probable total loss...

You can opt to form a "Company Anonima" who's principals don't need to be disclose unless they so want. Forming a corporation in the DR follows the same basic principles as in the US with minor structural differences other than in the legal proceedings to which the corporation could be exposed or become under DR law.

The only harm I could see for you from shielding your assets in the DR from a civil suit in the US would be the problems you'll have at home (US) when it comes to filling your income tax return be it in the DR or here.

Other than that continue to enjoy your Presidentes and the Sancochos...

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
Thanks for the advice............

PICHARDO said:
Unless your civil lawsuit in the US takes a turn to the worst as in criminal charges resulting for your actions then you shouldn't worry about your assets in the DR being taken over by a civil court's order in the US since they aren't enforceable due to DR laws.

But and a big one at it, if you keep your liquid assets in an international bank in the DR, for example Chase or the like your assets are in fact available for any US legal institution with a court order to see but not to touch, this could bring you extra problems since they could prove safe heaven of your funds overseas and therefore you could become the target of subsequent court charges in the US, and you don't want that since DR law doesn't provide safe heaven to foreign nationals whom are the targets of money laundering and added multitude of other things therefore making your assets the target of DR's seizure and probable total loss...

You can opt to form a "Company Anonima" who's principals don't need to be disclose unless they so want. Forming a corporation in the DR follows the same basic principles as in the US with minor structural differences other than in the legal proceedings to which the corporation could be exposed or become under DR law.

The only harm I could see for you from shielding your assets in the DR from a civil suit in the US would be the problems you'll have at home (US) when it comes to filling your income tax return be it in the DR or here.

Other than that continue to enjoy your Presidentes and the Sancochos...
You mention Chase as being an international bank...what about Banco Unpopular?? I certainly have learned they are in a category of their own...but what are their code of ethics (haha) in regards to ANY U.S institution with or without a court order prying into your private records. My guess is they would sell you out quicker than you could say "sancocho"......

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Missed it

Back in the DR

The one fact I either missed or you overlooked; are the assets that concern you in the DR or US?

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Answers to your questions ...

1) Yes, you can be served with a subpeaona in the Dominican Republic.

2) Yes, your assets can be seized.

The real questions are 1) how much money is involved in the lawsuit, and 2) what are you worth?

For fun, lets say you have been served but refuse to return to the US. The judge in the matter can issue what's called a bench warrant. Couple that with the Patriot Act and you can be picked up and extradited to the US and back to the jurisdiction that the matter qriginated in.

Now, lets say you refuse to pay. That same judge can send you to jail for contempt of court for refusing to liquidate your Dominican assets in order to satisfy the judgement.

When in the US, most Saturday afternoon's I head to the local bookstore. I love to watch people reading books about offshore banking, hiding assets and
how to disappear. It's usually your typical middle aged guy dreaming about a new life. I watch as they get caught up in their imaginary world. Their eyes light up at the thought of leaving all their troubles behind. Reading all those great stories about beachfront living, escaping into oblivion hiding your assets, not paying taxes. However, not one of those books shares the flip side. They don't tell you about the skip tracer who sits in his office and is paid to find people who did what you are dreaming of.

A little tidbit on skip-tracers, we do it because there is an adrenaline rush in what we do. What's even better is I get to bill my client and make some money. As we say in my office, its all about the Benjamin's'. If your name comes across my desk and the money is right you are in the hunt. I will spend my day finding your mistakes, be it through the utility company, the cable TV Company, or that collect call from Cabo San Lucas to your sister Edith. I have found many a person's from Boston to Bali. Usually I find them because of the littlest mistake they made before they departed or while basking in the sun. Let me share a few, some thoughts for you to think. The
woman from Beverly Hills who called her doctor asking for her medical
records to be shipped to Anquilla. A gentleman from New Jersey who
stole money from his company and hid in the Dominican Republic and had
Barnes & Noble change his shipping address to his beach front condo.
The list goes on and on. When you pick up and leave if from creditors
or other reasons, there are companies out there like Ahearn Group
(www.ahearn.info) and many other excellent ones that love the
challenge. To skip-tracers it's a game we get paid to play. We can
make as many mistakes as we want. The one you make is the one that most
likely lead us to you. :devious:

Last edited:

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
Thanks......

Thank You For Sharing.....as Sharp As You Claim To Be, We Are Already On A First Name Basis :

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
It does not matter who can find you...

It matters whether it is worth the trouble for them to come get you or serve you.

If you are looking at a 1,000.00 judgement you are looking at a credit report entry.

If you are looking at a $100,000.00 foreclosure you are looking at your house getting siezed and a credit report entry.

If you are looking at being involved in a million dollar embezzlement scheme... you are going to have a warrant issued for your arrest and an extradition attempt.

It is all about is it going to cost them more to come get you or have someone come get you then it is worth.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Seachange said:
1) Yes, you can be served with a subpeaona in the Dominican Republic.

2) Yes, your assets can be seized.

The real questions are 1) how much money is involved in the lawsuit, and 2) what are you worth?

:devious:

1) Yes, you can be served with a subpoena or a Subway's rib sandwich with extra Mayo for that matter

2) Yes, if you're a Major Drug Kingpin and run an international drug traffic ring with your money stacked in neat piles inside the Banco Central.

Theory it's so beautiful in the print yet so abstract in the making.

Easy on the literature man!

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Fiesta Mama said:
You did not say if the action has actually already been commenced but I assume that you are the Defendant in an action and have already been served with the Statement of Claim? If so, was this done in the U.S. or in the DR because if they found you in the DR then, they obviously have the means to track you down again. I assume the action has been commenced because because you would not have to be subpoened unless a Pre-Trial or Trial was pending? If you were served with a Statement of Claim and did not deliver a Statement of Defence, the Plaintiff could automatically move to get Judgment against you and would not need to subpoena you at all. Once (and if) a Judgment is received (either because you defaulted on not delivering a Statement of Defence or the matter has gone Trial and the Plaintiff won) the Plaintiff still has to take steps to collect the money from you. This would involve such things as seizing property (land or possessions like a car, etc.), garnishing your wages or seizing funds held in any U.S. bank account. I think it would prove EXTREMELY difficult for someone to collect on a U.S. monetary Judgment in the DR. First of all, make sure if you have any funds in the U.S. in bank accounts that you move them out of the country because a simple search on your social security number will reveal any bank accounts you have and a U.S. bank will be obligated to dole over your funds or they will be held responsible for satisfying the Judgment. This is a civil action and from what I understand of Dominican law, a U.S. civil Judgment is not worth the paper it is written on as far as seizing possessions, etc. in the DR. Don't take my word for this but these are questions I would ask the legal authorities in the DR. Also, if the action hasn't even been commenced yet... it will take years before you ever have to worry about have to pay out money!

Defendant, Statement of claim???IS this regarding a subpoena or summons?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Foreign monetary judgments must be validated by a Dominican Court before they can be enforced in the DR. The validation is called ?exequatur?. The proceeding takes place before a Court of First Instance (?Juzgado de Primera Instancia?).

Before granting exequatur, the Court will seek assurance that the foreign judgment has been entered after a normal procedure which permitted the judgment debtor a full opportunity to defend his interests, and that the judgment does not violate Dominican public policy.

The following are specific conditions that must be met:

1) The foreign court which rendered the decision had jurisdiction.
2) The foreign court followed normal procedures.
3) The foreign court applied the proper law according to Dominican conflict of laws rules.
4) The judgment does not violate Dominican or international public policy.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Foreign monetary judgments must be validated by a Dominican Court before they can be enforced in the DR. The validation is called ?exequatur?. The proceeding takes place before a Court of First Instance (?Juzgado de Primera Instancia?).

Before granting exequatur, the Court will seek assurance that the foreign judgment has been entered after a normal procedure which permitted the judgment debtor a full opportunity to defend his interests, and that the judgment does not violate Dominican public policy.

The following are specific conditions that must be met:

1) The foreign court which rendered the decision had jurisdiction.
2) The foreign court followed normal procedures.
3) The foreign court applied the proper law according to Dominican conflict of laws rules.
4) The judgment does not violate Dominican or international public policy.

A US court can get around these conditions by declaring the debtor in "contempt" and if need be have the debtor jailed until subject assets are expatriated.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Seachange said:
A US court can get around these conditions by declaring the debtor in "contempt" and if need be have the debtor jailed until subject assets are expatriated.

Show me proof of the last one done or shall I say the first one???

Like I said before unless a Pablo Escobar capo de tutti capo it won't happen in the DR by a long shot. Dominicans are very Nationalistic to say the least and stuff like that is very delicate when it falls on the lap of a Dominican judge...

The US had to come to a deal with past president Leonel Fernandez and Balaguer to allow them to split the presidential elections between the two and calm the flames of the actual winner, they certified the "elected" party's candidate and received some time later as the new gov was in place the extradition of several Dominicans wanted in the US for crimes and drug biz, the law that allowed this to happen was railroaded into effect and since it's a don't touch don't prick or you'll get US tire marks on your A** in a jiffy.

And if you don't believe me ask the hundreds of SEC wanted brokers and investors in the DR basking under the Sosua Sun... :chinese:

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Ok ...

PICHARDO said:
Show me proof of the last one done or shall I say the first one???

:

In Federal Trade Commission v Affordable Media, LLC and Linda and Michael Anderson (CV-98-00669-LDG), Judge Wiggins, upheld the district court's order of contempt against the Andersons. It is noteworthy that the Anderson's were represented on appeal by the international heavyweight law firm of Baker and McKenzie, so there is little doubt that the best arguments that could be made for asset protection were before the court. In other words, the asset protection crowd took its best shot with top-notch legal representation and still came up completely empty-handed.

The court found the Andersons were involved in a classic Ponzi scheme, in which earlier investors were paid off from later investors, until the whole scheme collapsed. The following are the salient facts:

While the investors' money was lost in the fraudulent scheme, the Andersons' profits from their commissions remained safely tucked away across the sea in a Cook Islands trust. When the Commission brought a civil action to recover as much money as possible for the defrauded investors, the Anderson's advanced two incredible propositions. First, they claimed that they should retain the 45 percent commissions they received for their role in the fraud, even though they acknowledged that the investors were defrauded. They claimed this entitlement because they merely sold the toxic investments that fueled the scheme and propped up the duplicitous house of cards. Second, the Anderson's claimed that they were unable to repatriate the assets in the Cook Islands trust because they had willingly relinquished all control over the millions of dollars of commissions in order to place this money overseas in the benevolent hands of unaccountable overseers, just on the off chance that a law suit might result from their business activities. The learned district court was skeptical of both arguments and chose to grant the Commission its requested preliminary relief.

An old adage warns that a fool and his money are easily parted. This case shows that the same is not true of a district court judge and his common sense. After the Anderson's refused to comply with the preliminary injunction by refusing to return their illicit proceeds, the district court found the Anderson's in civil contempt of court. (emphasis added)

The asset protection trust operated as follows:

In response to the preliminary injunction, the Andersons faxed a letter to AsiaCiti on May 12, 1998, instructing AsiaCiti to provide an accounting of the assets held in the trust and to repatriate the assets to the United States to be held under the control of the district court. AsiaCiti thereupon notified the Andersons that the temporary restraining order was an event of duress under the trust, removed the Andersons as cotrustees under the trust because of the event of duress, and refused to provide an accounting or repatriation of the assets. The trust assets were therefore not repatriated to the United States and the Andersons have provided only limited information to the district court and the Commission regarding the trust assets. (emphasis added)

However, the district court believed the Andersons remained in control of their trust and rejected their argument that they could not comply with the court's order because repatriation of the trust assets was impossible. On appeal, the Andersons argued that the refusal of AsiaCiti to repatriate the trust assets to the U.S., made compliance with the court's order impossible.

The Ninth Circuit, however, found that the very goal of the trust was to make repatriation impossible and such a "self-induced" impossibility was --

the intended result of their own conduct -- their inability to comply and the foreign trustee's refusal to comply appears to be the precise goal of the Andersons? trust.

The court found the Andersons did not satisfy their burden of proving "categorically and in detail" that compliance was impossible. The court then skewered the asset protection industry by stating:

In the asset protection trust context, moreover, the burden on the party asserting an impossibility defense will be particularly high because of the likelihood that any attempted compliance with the court's orders will be merely a charade rather than a good faith effort to comply. Foreign trusts are often designed to assist the settlor in avoiding being held in contempt of a domestic court while only feigning compliance with the court's orders. (emphasis added)

The court then upheld the district court's finding that the Andersons remained in control of the trust. The standard of review for the appeals court was whether this finding was in "clear error" and the appeals court found it was not.

The court noted:

The Andersons had previously been able to obtain in excess of $1 million from the trust in order to pay their taxes. Given their ability to obtain, with ease, such large sums from the trust, we share the district court's skepticism regarding the Andersons' claim that they cannot make the trust assets subject to the court's jurisdiction.

Moreover, beyond this general skepticism concerning the Andersons' lack of control over their trust, the specifics of the Andersons' trust indicate that they retained control over the trust assets. These offshore trusts allow settlors, such as the Andersons, significant control over the trust assets by allowing the settlor to act as a co-trustee or "protector" of the trust.

What this means to the off-shore asset protection advocates is simple: Unless a defendant can demonstrate categorically and in detail that it was impossible to repatriate assets -- a burden of proof that is particularly high with respect to asset protection trusts -- a district court's finding that the defendant failed to meet his burden will be upheld by the appellate courts, unless there was clear error. In short, with respect to an asset protection trust, a defendant stands virtually no chance of meeting his burden of proof and a district court's contempt order, likewise, stands almost no chance of being overturned.

The court dealt another body-blow to the asset protection industry by stating that acting as "protectors" of the trust demonstrated control. The concept of a protector stems from English law in which a person advises the trustee with respect to the trust. The protector does not legally control the assets but trustees will invariably follow the directions of the protector anyway; because, as a practical matter, if they did not, they could not remain in the trust business for long. The court stated:

The district court's finding that the Andersons were in control of their trust is well supported by the record given that the Andersons were the protectors of their trust. A protector has significant powers to control an offshore trust. ? A protector can be compelled to exercise control over a trust to repatriate assets if the protector's powers are not drafted solely as the negative powers to veto trustee decisions or if the protector's powers are not subject to the anti-duress provisions of the trust. ? The Andersons' trust gives them affirmative powers to appoint new trustees and makes the anti-duress provisions subject to the protectors' powers, therefore, they can force the foreign trustee to repatriate the trust assets to the United States. (emphasis added)

Perhaps the most telling evidence of the Andersons' control over the trust was their conduct after the district court issued its temporary restraining order ordering the repatriation of the trust funds. The Anderson's sent a notice to the foreign trustee, ordering it to repatriate the trust assets because the district court had issued a temporary restraining order. The foreign trustee removed the Andersons from their positions as co-trustees and refused to comply with the repatriation order. After the Andersons claimed that compliance with the repatriation provisions of the temporary restraining order was impossible, the Commission revealed to the court that the Andersons were the protectors of the trust. The Andersons immediately attempted to resign as protectors of the trust. This attempted resignation indicates that the Andersons knew that, as the protectors of the trust, they remained in control of the trust and could force the foreign trustee to repatriate the assets.

The court noted that even if the Andersons were not protectors, they still could have been in control of the trust. In all probability, if the Andersons had successfully resigned as protectors, but had the ability to appoint a friendly (i.e. non-independent) protector, they would be considered in control of the trust. The court did not reach this issue because it expressly found that the Andersons were the protectors of the trust.

In conclusion, to make it clear that the very concept of an asset protection trust is under attack by the courts, the courts noted:

Given the nature of the Andersons' so-called "asset protection" trust, which was designed to frustrate the power of United States' courts to enforce judgments, there may be little else that a district court judge can do besides exercise its contempt powers to coerce people like the Anderson's into removing the obstacles they placed in the way of a court. Given that the Andersons' trust is operating precisely as they intended, we are not overly sympathetic to their claims and would be hesitant to overly-restrict the district court's discretion, and thus legitimize what the Anderson's have done.

The court left no doubt that the asset protection trust, in its attempt to oust a U.S. court of jurisdiction, failed miserably. All a court has to do is issue an order directing the defendants to repatriate the assets to the U.S. If the defendant fails to comply, the court will hold him in contempt of court and throw him in jail. As a practical matter, the defendant will never meet the particularly high burden of proving categorically and in specific detail that it was impossible to repatriate the trust assets. For that to happen, the defendant would have to sever all direct and indirect control over his assets and those who control them, and no rational person would do that.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Seachange said:
Cook Islands trust.

What does that have to do with the DR?
I think you need to read up on the DR judicial system.
What is printed on paper and in the law is one thing, reality is a whole different ball game.