Let's take our own Poll

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
With only 17 days left till election I thought it might be fun to take our own Poll.

So who do you think will be the next Presidente of La Republica Dominicana ?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Definitely Fernandez...I saw a poll on another site (while although it is not an accurate representation), F had 70%, Hippocrito had a whopping 15% (I'm surprised he had that high of a %age), and the other 15% was split amongst various.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Would like it to be Fernandez, but Hippo will win it on a second round. Sorry, but unfortunately that's what I see happening.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Fernandez

My vote is for Fernandez.

My boyfriend and I have been conducting our own survey between Las Terrenas and Santo Domingo and we find that Fernandez rules by a landslide. Among the people we have polled are taxi drivers, laborers, professionals, businessmen, hired help, construction workers, well....just about everyone from all walks of life.

Juniper

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Fernandez, if no high jinks!

All serious (Hamilton, Gallup, Penn & Schoen) polls have Fernandez at about 55, Hippo at about 25-27 and Estrella at about 15....

I foresee Fernandez 58, Hippo 30, Estrella 10, others 2.

At the last minute, a lot of the Estrella people will go with whom they foresee will be the winner and 2 to 1 they will go to Fernandez, at least, also, the undecided you can split 2-1-1....all this, of course, is just using logic and common sense based on the various, serious polls....however....two things:
Hippo's people are capable of any and everything and they control the legislative and judicial branches and the electoral tribunal so, there are many factors than can make it possible for them to steal the first round, at least (for those that aren't aware, on May 16th, whomever gets 50% + 1 vote will win, otherwise, a second round with the two top finishers will be necessary on June 30)....secondly, if Fernandez wins on May 16th, Hippo's people will take everything, including paper clips and rubber bands during the 90-day transition period and will be ticked off and taking it out on the population with blackouts, etc.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hippo probable 1st. round - 2nd for sure. I'm not taking sides here, just my guess.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I hope for Leonel but I'm going to vote for Hippo cause I too want a brand new moto concho :classic:

More seriously, "God help Us" if Hippo takes it for another four years. Besides all the money that he is suctioning from the economy, the administration is beginning to have such a profound impact on the daily tasks of doing business here, that we are seriously considering moving our Zona Franca business to a more favorable business climate. Many business owners are simply waiting for the election to make a decision.

For a poll, seeing that this is the only election that I will be able to vote in, I vote Leonel! L

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
fernandez on the 1st round.

stop the elections! the country needs a monarchy to stop the anarchy.
golo should be king. if being a foreigner is not a disqualification then chirimoya should be queen, or hillbilly could be emperor. any of these guys would have my vote. then again, leonel or estrella as president could not possibly be as bad as the incumbent.

fernandez on the 1st round.

-Tordok

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
With only 17 days left till election I thought it might be fun to take our own Poll.

So who do you think will be the next Presidente of La Republica Dominicana ?
Well , I am quite familiar with the certain ties and promises of the Presidente to other countries,that have nothing to do with the betterment of his own people or Island, other than himself!!! This man Leonel, belongs to no-one other than his people ! I only had the chanch to watch him for a few moments. His body language and eye contact is so naive and truthful, that it and he are refreshing! IF ( small word with such a big meaning ) he could be given the time that it will take to clean up the past mess and betrayal that has been done to his people, he will be their God given saviour ! I hope he wins !

Joseph

May 2, 2004
The ex-President Leonel Fernandez is indeed going to win the elections 'cause the dominican people are not stupid and are tired (for say the least) of the current President.

Lets just hope the Junta central Electoral don't make something they could regret.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Joseph said:
'cause the dominican people are not stupid

They were stupid enough that 1 out of every 2 Dominicans Voted for the PRD 4 years ago despite their History. What makes you think they have gotten Smarter?

A few more Questions:
What makes you think that anything will improve in the DR if Fernandez gets elected?

What makes you think that anybody can save the DR from its economic plight without have to impose drastic measures? Massive Gov. Layoffs. Raising Taxes? Massive Belt Tighting?

What makes you think that Fernandez really wants the job knowing that the only way to save the country will be with implementing extremely unpopular measures?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Tony C said:
They were stupid enough that 1 out of every 2 Dominicans Voted for the PRD 4 years ago despite their History. What makes you think they have gotten Smarter?

A few more Questions:
What makes you think that anything will improve in the DR if Fernandez gets elected?

What makes you think that anybody can save the DR from its economic plight without have to impose drastic measures? Massive Gov. Layoffs. Raising Taxes? Massive Belt Tighting?

What makes you think that Fernandez really wants the job knowing that the only way to save the country will be with implementing extremely unpopular measures?

Well Tony, I don't know if they have gotten smarter, hopefully a lot more fed up.
I play percentages, odds, ratios and statistics in my business. Because of that and knowing what the last four years have been, i'm thinking the next four probably won't be any worse.
I'm all for drastic measures beginning with govt layoffs of dead weight, dumping a bunch of generals, ending price supports, entitlement programs and raising property taxes if the money will go to something worthwhile for the country such as road improvements, decent water and electric supply and better schools to name a few.
My hope is that Leonel loves his birth country and will try to improve rather than continuing to destroy it as the present administration is.
As I see it, too Dominicans are willing to sacrifice so much of their hopes for the future for so little of the present.
Just my thoughts

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Tony C said:

A few more Questions:

Tony: You're righ on the money on this one. I'm Dominican and I can say that we're plenty stupid when it comes to politics (not excluding myself)...or maybe not stupid, but we don't really care about the whole country. We care about what's in it for me...It's the "What have you done for me lately?" syndrome.
Regarding Fernandez, I like the guy (I think he has a good vision of what the country needs to develop), but I don't think he will be the next president (believe it when I see it), and if he does become the next president expect The PLD to start lookng a lot more like The PRD. Why? Because they know that last time the lost the elections, because people accused them of being "comesolos" of not spreading the wealth, of not putting a lot of people to "work" for the government (The PRD doctrine). This time around they will make sure to hand out plenty of pork barrel to ensure to continue in power.