New to DR1 Forums

Porthos

May 13, 2004
Hello people! My name is Miguel Antonio and I'm not quiet sure whether I'm allowed to do this, but here it is anyway. I'm dominican, and proud of it. I live here in Santo Domingo and at first it was really funny to read all the things you americans think about this great country, but then I got concerned about the fact that most of you are clueless about dominicans in general. I hate to "generalize", and sadly, that's almost the only thing I see in the posts referred to dominican lifestyle and dominicans, here and at the States.
Anyway, the reason I wanted to post here is because I love helping others and I wanted to let you all know that here you can find a friend who will be willing to help you with your doubts about my country.

A little about me: dominican, 23 & 1/2, economics student at Intec, born, raised and living in the country's capital; as you see, fluent in english, but hey, even thought I love my country and am very proud of it, with its pros and cons, I think that in general, the only thing that difference me from a 23 years old american is that probably I've drunk a little more beer and surely more brugal than him. By the way, my favorite drink is Gin & Tonic.

That's it, willing to be helpful for any of you with doubt about my country, an inside -and impartial- source is here for you. Want to know more about me? Find it at my blog, http://miguelantonio.blogspot.com (it's in spanish) and be sure to sign my guestbook. :)

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Hola Miguel and welcome! I'm sure your firthand insight will be welcomed by all. I would just like to clarify one thing though - not everyone on this site is American. I for one am Canadian (as are many others) and there are many Dominicans (who live in the DR) who post here too.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1. It's always nice to hear from the true Dominicans of the country.

Yes people do genaralize but can you give us an example of what bothers you the most?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Welcome- est?s muy bienvenido. As you begin to post you will see that people are friendly for the most part but expressing your point of view at times can be a challenge. Pero as? es la vida. Para que sepas aqu? hay personas de todas partes del mundo. No s?lo americanos o domincanos en ultramar. Espero que aprendas mucho y nosotros queremos aprender de ti.

Suerte.

Estaremos conversando.

Lesley D.

Porthos said:
Hello people! My name is Miguel Antonio and I'm not quiet sure whether I'm allowed to do this, but here it is anyway. I'm dominican, and proud of it. I live here in Santo Domingo and at first it was really funny to read all the things you americans think about this great country, but then I got concerned about the fact that most of you are clueless about dominicans in general. I hate to "generalize", and sadly, that's almost the only thing I see in the posts referred to dominican lifestyle and dominicans, here and at the States.
Anyway, the reason I wanted to post here is because I love helping others and I wanted to let you all know that here you can find a friend who will be willing to help you with your doubts about my country.

A little about me: dominican, 23 & 1/2, economics student at Intec, born, raised and living in the country's capital; as you see, fluent in english, but hey, even thought I love my country and am very proud of it, with its pros and cons, I think that in general, the only thing that difference me from a 23 years old american is that probably I've drunk a little more beer and surely more brugal than him. By the way, my favorite drink is Gin & Tonic.

That's it, willing to be helpful for any of you with doubt about my country, an inside -and impartial- source is here for you. Want to know more about me? Find it at my blog, http://miguelantonio.blogspot.com (it's in spanish) and be sure to sign my guestbook. :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Porthos, welcome to the board. I hope you will become a regular contributor.

When you feel that the discussion has strayed from the way you think it really is, I hope you will call this to your atttention. However, don't be surprised if everyone doesn't agree with you in some instances since everyone has their own unique vantage point from which to view life in the Dominican Republic. By everyone I mean the Dominicans who post, the expats who have lived here for varying periods of time, and the occasional visitors, including those whose only contact with the DR are the Dominicans they meet at the resort, including the sankis.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Porthos said:
Which particular facts are the rest of us clueless about?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
Which particular facts are the rest of us clueless about?
Don't worry about escott, he is the only one who is clueless, he lives in sosua.
Hehehehehe (its not his fault, he is american, hehehehehe)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Porthos said:
the fact that most of you are clueless about dominicans in general. I hate to "generalize", and sadly, that's almost the only thing I see in the posts referred to dominican lifestyle and dominicans

I agree 100% with you. Most posters, either those that live here or visit, only experience a limited sector of the Dominican Republic. Most have no idea how things really happen, how to get things done and the different social levels that exist here.

This is not a good or bad thing, it's just a fact.