Arrival / Departure tax

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Purchase of the Visa Card on Arrival in the DR

I never fully trust the people i book my holiday with because their experience isn't specific to the DR so they are not very up to date.

Whats the current cost for the visa card on entry and the price to pay upon departure?
I will be coming from the UK in 3 weeks. I heard it had changed from when i went last year.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
There is NO Arrival tax

Dominican Babe said:
US$10 or arrival, US$20 on departure

It is $10 US to buy a tourist card unless one is provided by your tour company. It is not an arrival tax since Dominicans and those with visas use an embarkation/debarkation card instead, which is free.

You pay US$20 to leave unless included in your ticket , and for example on AA tickets they have already collected that in the fare.

Dec 9, 2002
I know it's not an arrival tax, I never said it was. I happen to know Tired Boy is travelling from UK, therefore I know it will NOT be included in his ticket. I simply pointed out he will have to pay US$10 on arrival and US$20 on departure. Why are you so picky anyway?

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks for the useful replies :)

Rocky said:
see other post

Oh no, i feel stupid now. I didnt realise there was that thread here aswell, its because i didn't know what 'impuesto de entrada/salida ' meant, thanks for directing me.

Dominican babe said:
I know it's not an arrival tax, I never said it was. I happen to know Tired Boy is travelling from UK, therefore I know it will NOT be included in his ticket. I simply pointed out he will have to pay US$10 on arrival and US$20 on departure. Why are you so picky anyway?

Unfortunately you are not permitted to post on here unless read the 'Encyclopaedia Dominicana' back to front, and BEWARE all new innocent posters who call the country 'the Dominican', i mean - we have no idea what they are on about do we when they say that?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Read the Title of the Post

Dominican Babe said:

And it is not $10 on arrival for everyone, just tourist without visas. And with some airlines, charters especially, it is included in the ticket and given to you free at the airport when you arrive.

This is true on 100% of the Toronto -DR charters for example.

And as for picky, Tired Boy is not the only reader of the forums (and who is erroneosuly calling it a tax also) and therfore, calling a tourist card for one class of arriving passnger a tax in any context is not stating it factually, it is a fee to BUY a tourist card IF you need one.

When I come in from Miami, I would say 80% of the passengers if not more DON'T need one, they take the FREE embarkation/debarkation card and the customs form instead. Because they are Dominicans or they are travelling on multiple entry visas.