World Cup of Baseball

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
From what i have been reading. it looks more and more like there will be a world cup of baseball in february 2005. if memory serves correctly, the decision will be taken either next month or during the all-star break. major teams likely involved would be: korea, taiwan, japan, canada, usa, dr, puerto rico, venezuela, mexico. it will not only be endorsed by major league baseball but major league baseball will also encourage the professionals to play. so if we have a pitching staff of 10 and another, say, 15 position players, who would you have on the Dominican team? my money would be on them to win.

Porthos

May 13, 2004
Here's my team

I think that there is a huge possibility for this to really happen, in which case I'm almost sure that USA will have the best chances to win. Anyway, we will have serious chances in a couple of years, when we get experience and take a more resposable approach on it. Here's my team for the next year, some of the players don't appear in their usual position.

c. Miguel Olivo
1b. David Ortiz
2b. Luis Castillo
3b. Albert Pujols
ss. Alex Rodriguez (yes, he was born on NY, but I'm possitive he will most likely play for a DR team)
lf. Manny Ramirez
cf. Vladimir Guerrero
rf. Sammy Sosa
dh. Alfonso Soriano
bn. Miguel Tejada
bn. Adrian Beltr?
bn. Rafael Furcal
bn.Raul Mondes?
bn.Moises Alou
bn. Angel Berroa
rhp. Pedro Martinez
rhp. Bartolo Colon
lhp. Odalis Perez
rhp. Miguel Batista
rp. Jos? Lima
rp. Jos? Mesa
rp. Octavio Dotel
rp. Guillermo Mota
rp. Rafael Soriano
cp. Armando Benitez

I even have my managers and coaches staff.
Manager: Felipe Rojas Alou
Pitching Coach: --
Batting Coach: Julio Franco (active player, good hitter, but too old for lineup)
Bench Coach: Tony Pe?a
1b Coach: Juan Samuel
3b Coach: Felix Fermin

If you take a close look at this team, you will find: three MVP award winners, one three-times Cy Young winner, three Rookie of the year, and two Manager of the Year.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
vladimir would have to be in rf for his arm. he isn't running well enough for cf. looks like a good lineup. what about Juan Marichal as pitching coach?

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
This would more than likely be the most logical and potent lineup:

1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Alfonso Soriano
3B - Aramis Ramirez
SS - Miguel Tejada
OF - Manny Ramirez
OF - Sammy Sosa
OF - Vladimir Guerrero
C - Miguel Olivo
DH - David Ortiz

SP - Pedro Martinez
SP - Ramon Ortiz
SP - Bartolo Colon
SP - Odalis Perez

RP - Octavio Dotel
RP - Felix Rodriguez

The Cup is considering using International Rules, which would not allow ARod to play for the Dominican team.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
What about Jose Guillen? He's also a definite consideration for field. Pretty tight squeeze against the other 3 though. Vladimir just doesn't seem to be fielding as good this year, but he's sure on the bats.

Last edited:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
No, Arod was born in NYC and moved to Miami as a child.

Trina your scenario applies to Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols and Carlos Pena, give or take a few years.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
NY1 said:
No, Arod was born in NYC and moved to Miami as a child.

Trina your scenario applies to Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols and Carlos Pena, give or take a few years.

Sorry, I realized my error and erased my original post. Thought I'd just delete it since I was wrong. I do believe though that Arod moved back to the DR when he was about 9, and that's when he started to take an interest in sports.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Two very good lineups above, though I think I'd leave Soriano out and put Arod in SS, leaving 2nd base for Tejada or Castillo. I firmly believe AR would play for the DR if he is allowed.

Last edited:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Yes Trina, they went back, for a few years:

Alex Rodriguez was born on July 27, 1975, in New York City to Victor and Lourdes Navarro Rodriguez. His father ran a shoe store in Manhattan, then moved the family to his native country of the Dominican Republic when his son was four. There, his father was a catcher for a Dominican pro team. When Alex Rodriguez was in fourth grade, they returned to the United States to live in Miami. A year later, his parents separated, and his mother raised her children--Alex Rodriguez and his two older siblings, Joe and Susy--on her own. In order to send her son to private school, she worked days as a secretary at an immigration office and waited tables at night.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Here's the scoop

trina said:
Sorry, I realized my error and erased my original post. Thought I'd just delete it since I was wrong. I do believe though that Arod moved back to the DR when he was about 9, and that's when he started to take an interest in sports.

This is what I found:

Alex Rodriguez Growing Up
Alex Emanuel Rodriguez was born in New York City on July 27, 1975. He stayed in NYC until he was four, when his family moved back to his parents' native land - the Dominican Republic. It was there that Alex Rodriguez first learned to play baseball. Four years later, his family moved back to the United States and settled in Miami, Florida. Not long after that, Alex's parents got divorced and his father left town. His mother took two jobs to support Alex, his brother Joe and his sister, Suzy. Seeing his mom struggle to work two jobs made Alex Rodriguez determined to become a professional baseball player and make a lot of money.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
NY1 said:
Yes Trina, they went back, for a few years:

Alex Rodriguez was born on July 27, 1975, in New York City to Victor and Lourdes Navarro Rodriguez. His father ran a shoe store in Manhattan, then moved the family to his native country of the Dominican Republic when his son was four. There, his father was a catcher for a Dominican pro team. When Alex Rodriguez was in fourth grade, they returned to the United States to live in Miami. A year later, his parents separated, and his mother raised her children--Alex Rodriguez and his two older siblings, Joe and Susy--on her own. In order to send her son to private school, she worked days as a secretary at an immigration office and waited tables at night.

Sorry, we must've been posting at the same time. You know your baseball well!

Porthos

May 13, 2004
International rules?

what are this rules? The rules allowing dominican born tenis player Mary Joe Fernandez to play olimpics representing US of A? The rules that doesn't matter that another tennis player, monica seles, althought born on germany, played always as american? Remember that A rod played for the Leones del Escogido one season (well, some games) and even thought he sworn then not to play again for a professional team here, I think this would be diferent. Arod is so proud of his dominican roots that I'm sure he won't play on a WS if it's not on a DR team.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Mary Jo Fernandez and Monica Seles are both Naturalized Citizens of the USA, that's why they played for the US team.

Hakeem Olajuwon had to wait to become a citizen before he played for the Dream Team in the Olympics.

Playing for a Winter League team in DR, does not mean anything, lots of Americans play in DR, and PR, and Mexico during the Winter Leagues.

As a proud Dominican American myself, I would love to see Arod play for the Dominican team, but if they are going by the rules established for International competition, he would not be allowed to.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
NY1 said:
As a proud Dominican American myself, I would love to see Arod play for the Dominican team, but if they are going by the rules established for International competition, he would not be allowed to.

He has been heard saying that if he can't play for the Dominican team, he wouldn't play. I wonder if he has dual citizenship? He did live in the DR for a brief stint, and loves his Dominican roots. I guess time will tell.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I don't believe the US allows dual citizenships for people born in the USA, I could be wrong but...

I think if he refuses to play, it would be bad for him with the fans in the US. They will see him as ungrateful to be an American. On the other hand, the Dominican fans may do the same if he does play for the US. He definitely is stuck between a rock and a hard place in this situation.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
NY1 said:
I don't believe the US allows dual citizenships for people born in the USA, I could be wrong but...

I think if he refuses to play, it would be bad for him with the fans in the US. They will see him as ungrateful to be an American. On the other hand, the Dominican fans may do the same if he does play for the US. He definitely is stuck between a rock and a hard place in this situation.

I couldn't agree more. I was just daydreaming and imagining him running out to the field for the first time in a DR uniform, while the American fans booed. Not pretty. I would hope DR fans would be a little less harsh.

I don't think, in the end, he'd refuse to play, he's too smart for that. But there'd be a lot of good PR work on his end to soften the blow to DR fans if he couldn't play for their team. Likewise, he'd do a lot of PR work to the US fans if he played for the DR team.

Last edited: