Toyota RAV4 ? Any about?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Looking for a 2002-3 low mileage and in excellent condition.
Preferably Santo Domingo, but will travel to find a decent example.

I have looked at 5-6 over the past two weeks and they have all been junk.
Both private and dealer sales.

The problems range from complete chop jobs, bad spray jobs to
one that had an unidentifiable VIN, very scary.

The only one that looked half decent had the following CarFax report.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=CFX000006488827

At least the guys that rebuilt this one had an idea of how to prep a car before spraying it, they just left off a small part on the back door that raised my awareness when looking it over. Plus they also clocked it :)

If anyone knows of anyone selling a decent 2002-3 RAV4 (not interested in anything else) please send me an email.

Thanks.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Robert said:

At least the guys that rebuilt this one had an idea of how to prep a car before spraying it, they just left off a small part on the back door that raised my awareness when looking it over. Plus they also clocked it :)

If anyone knows of anyone selling a decent 2002-3 RAV4 (not interested in anything else) please send me an email.

Thanks.

Oh no! robert that's scary................................

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Try Super-carros.com

Robert said:

Thanks.
Robert

www.super-carros.com has 4 or 5 late models that might be what you're looking for.

Rgds Paul

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JDJones said:
Man, now that you mention it, I don't see very many RAVs on the street, and even less for sale.
You're gonna have to keep hitting the car dealers, both here and Santiago. There's gotta be some good ones coming into the country for resale...
I imagine you've already checked the classifieds...

Yep, I do that on a daily basis. The problem is some dealers are brining in wrecks and fixing them up. I guess they have been hit so hard with low car sales in the past 2 years, it's maybe the only way they can make money.

The problem here, if you buy a lemon, your stuck with it. You have zero recourse! All you can do is try and on-sell the lemon.

I went round last Saturday looking at numerous late model used cars with a friend of mine that owned and ran body repair shops in the USA for 20 years. Some of the stuff he pointed out and how easy it was for him to pick out the chopped and repaired ones was freighting.

Plan B is a Nissan Pathfinder. I know the people at National Cars and they tell me that the Pathfinder has been an outstanding vehicle for them. One of the best rental units reliability/cost wise. Let?s see?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Robert: What about a CRV. By far the best small SUV (most reliable, doesn't use much gas, more spacious than a RAv, and better looking too - IMO). I will ask my brother who's a car dealer if he knows of any at any RAV 4's available. One thing I know is that for both RAV's and CRV's he can't get enough of them and they're gone as soon as he gets them.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
suarezn said:
Robert: What about a CRV. By far the best small SUV (most reliable, doesn't use much gas, more spacious than a RAv, and better looking too - IMO). I will ask my brother who's a car dealer if he knows of any at any RAV 4's available. One thing I know is that for both RAV's and CRV's he can't get enough of them and they're gone as soon as he gets them.

CRV, I don't think so, driven them, don't like them.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

...you are setting yourself up for a frustrating experience. You can buy a new car and get warranty protection, etc. but you will pay import duty of up to 100% of the new vehicle's already inflated DR cost.

Your other option is to buy used, have it inspected for imminent failure or heavy damage and then hope for the best. I don't recommend spending more than you are willing to write off after a few months use.

Clearly, neither option is very good but they are the only two. What you are asking to do - spend a fair amount for a low mileage, quality used vehicle, is very very difficult to achieve here. I think the closest you will probably come would be one of the diplomatic mission auctions. Of course, as with everything here, those with connections have unfair advantages.

Good luck!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
suarezn said:
One thing I know is that for both RAV's and CRV's he can't get enough of them and they're gone as soon as he gets them.

...i found that out to be absolutely true....a dealer i know sells them before they've even arrived in the d.r.

unidentifiable vins? clocked? scary?.......what are you so worried about. i clock all my cars before i sell them (i am not a dealer) - haven't had the need to scrub a vin yet, but what you don't know, can't hurt.

honest boch!