How have Dominican major league baseball players contributed to DR?

mariposa

May 19, 2004
I have always heard that players like Pedro Martinez or Sammy Sosa have contributed a lot to the towns where they come from, but I have always wonder in which way?

Does anyone know ?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Pedro Martinez built a big Church in his hometown, I know he's done more, but just don't know what.
Sammy Sosa built a couple of plazas that employ his relatives and friends and several others, and has a Foundacion por la gente pobre.

I'm sure others can add more to this.

Where's Cleef?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Many of the guys that are from San Cristobal own businesses that contribute to the economy of the town. However, none have made any donations to any charities or anything 'selfless' big enough to mention. Some have baseball academies and so forth. (Rigo, Mondesi, and there are others...)

Porthos

May 13, 2004
Some players, like those mentioned by trina, help by building baseball parks, donating baseball stuff, some also give toys to poor kids on january 6th (dia de reyes). Sammy with his foundation raised funds for the Georges Hurricane refugees, and also donated some 250 computers for an IT lab for a public school. But sadly, most players only help people surrounding them by increasing alcohol levels on their blood, and, of course, the main contribution they do to this country is to increase the number of exotic and expensives cars driving on our roads and streets. I remember I once went to Sammy's place and saw there a couple of cars that you don't often see around (a Rolls, a ferrari and a Hummer reportedly bought from Mike Tyson).

PS. Pedro had to build another church, because the first one was for the catholic congregation, and then the protestants honored their own name and made him build one for them as well. Or was the other way around?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Porthos said:
PS. Pedro had to build another church, because the first one was for the catholic congregation, and then the protestants honored their own name and made him build one for them as well. Or was the other way around?

I didn't realize that, Porthos, thanks for the insight. I would imagine you're correct as stated, as I'm sure you know the majority of the people of the DR are Catholic. I can't imagine a town in the DR without first and foremost a Catholic Church. I do know that Pedro is very religious.

I'd totally forgotten all the fundraising efforts Sammy did for Hurricane Georges, as well as for the educational system. Worth mentioning is the "welcome to my country" ads he does to promote tourism to the DR. Thanks again!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Porthos, I was going to add the same thing to my post!
This is how they contribute:Cervezas para el pueblo and cars with crazy music. This is how it works:

Any given day (usually in December) they park their latest vehicle acquisition (Hummers, Navigators, Escalades, Ranges, etc) anywhere they feel like it and and pump up the music. The nearest colmados (usually all four that belong to that corner) sell out of beers b/c everbody near by puts it on that player's tab for the day. thats how they help their community. For those who are not working, they get the Presidentes and Frituras gratis and the colmados get the dollars...

I guess the car dealers get help too, b/c once any one of them buy one car, the other one wants to top it somehow. So the music people and the dealers get a good chunk of that money too. More for the economy, see!

Porthos said:
Some players, like those mentioned by trina, help by building baseball parks, donating baseball stuff, some also give toys to poor kids on january 6th (dia de reyes). Sammy with his foundation raised funds for the Georges Hurricane refugees, and also donated some 250 computers for an IT lab for a public school. But sadly, most players only help people surrounding them by increasing alcohol levels on their blood, and, of course, the main contribution they do to this country is to increase the number of exotic and expensives cars driving on our roads and streets. I remember I once went to Sammy's place and saw there a couple of cars that you don't often see around (a Rolls, a ferrari and a Hummer reportedly bought from Mike Tyson).

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Here's something else I found on Pedro: IMHO

Both PLB Sports and the Red Sox all star pitcher will be donating portions of the profits to the Pedro J. Martinez & Brothers Foundation, an organization established to serve other non-profit organizations in Boston and the Dominican Republic through financial grants. Its focus is to raise over one million dollars for young children, health care and education in these areas. And this goal can be achieved through the sale of Pedro Salsa.

Apparently, you can buy called Pedro Salsa! Things that make you go google and hmmmmmmm.

prod_predrosalsa.jpg

Link:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/zine-industry/pp_celebs.asp

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Try doing the google search: "dominican republic baseball player charity"
It's rather depressing.

But I did find this on Tony Batista:

Tradition of community service
He was also well-known in Phoenix for his work in the community, particularly with Native Americans on nearby reservations. His foundation supports needy kids in the Dominican and he makes frequent school visits, a habit he intends to continue in Toronto.

Such activities generate good will toward his team, he acknowledges, but mostly he wants to set a positive example for kids without attracting personal publicity.

"I don't really like my name to be mentioned, because I'm the type of man who believes that real charity doesn't care if it's tax-deductible or not."

DISCLAIMER: This is an actual quote. I personally did not write
"the Dominican"
so vicious attackers, please STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. :p ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
trina said:
DISCLAIMER: This is an actual quote. I personally did not write so vicious attackers, please STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. :p ;)

Trina, no more of that! LOL

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not what it could or perhaps should be...

I'm all but certain there is a lot of charity going on, but the term "charity" should be used loosely.

Many of the machismo examples (cars, beer, loud music, parties) so far are surely abundant, but there are quite a few of the old school that have contributed mightly.

Without going into names (b/c I can't remember them) there is a lot of community development that's been done and continues to be done; medical, education, food, etc.

Beyond that, the Pedro Martinez foundation has been a conduit for charities towards the most recent flood tragedies.

Just fan donations alone at Fenway have been $11,000. David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez and Pedro have asked their teamates to also donate. No idea on the amount but I'm sure it's pretty good.

I know Raul Mondesi donated a fire truck to his hometown of San Cristobal, but seeing cement doesn't burn, I'm not sure what real value that holds, but I'm sure it made a nice picture.

Beyond that, I think the baseball (players) in the DR has contributed in the greatest way by giving the nation a strong sense of pride and accomplishment. Sure they haven't cured any ills, but they have put the DR on the map for most of the Western world.

Of course, it's what brought me to the DR, so perhaps my sentiment is stronger than most.

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
A-rod is from the heights,he doesn't have to contribute anything he's done more then enough just being eye candy :bunny: oh yeah and he is insperational and cute and stuff! :)

*Swoons* :sleep: