Legalizing a Document

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Can someone please advise if I have a Divorce Decree from La Vega, can I get it "Legalizado" in Santo Domingo? Also, does a Divorce Decree have an expiration?

Thanks

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Oche,

It is going to be very hard for me to legalize it in La Vega. I will be arriving on a Sunday into Santo Domingo and need to get it legalized on Monday. I need to have it for Tuesday. I was told that I could legalize it in Santo Domingo and just wanted to confirm what I hard heard.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I had my marriage certificate from El Campo legalized in Santo Domingo, and have had absolutely no problems or questions.

The office of the Junta that does the "legalization " process is about 1 block east of the bottom end of Winston Churchill , in the area with many of the government's buildings. From Ave. Independencia, it is about 1 block south (behind) the building for the Loteria Nacional. The line will start forming at the gate at about 6 am, or you can use a buscone to do it for you.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
This place, is this what they call the "Fiscalia"? Sorry about the spelling. Also, since I got the Acta in December 2003, will they still legalize it now?

GringoCArlos said:
I had my marriage certificate from El Campo legalized in Santo Domingo, and have had absolutely no problems or questions.

The office of the Junta that does the "legalization " process is about 1 block east of the bottom end of Winston Churchill , in the area with many of the government's buildings. From Ave. Independencia, it is about 1 block south (behind) the building for the Loteria Nacional. The line will start forming at the gate at about 6 am, or you can use a buscone to do it for you.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
First, what do you mean by "divorce decree"? The ruling from the Court ("Sentencia de Divorcio") or the registration of the ruling at the local Civil Registry ("Pronunciamiento de Divorcio")? You will not be legally divorced until the registration ("pronunciamiento") takes place.

Second, what do you mean by "legalizaci?n"? Do you need the document to be acknowledged as valid by the local authorities in the DR or by a foreign jurisdiction?

If you want to take back to the US both the "sentencia" and the "pronunciamiento", it will go like this:

a) certified copy of the "sentencia" from the Court,
b) certified copy of the "pronunciamiento"' from the "Oficial?a" (Civil Registry)
c) "pronunciamiento" copy goes to Junta Central Electoral for verification,
d) both go to the "Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica" (Attorney General's Office),
e) both go to the "Secretar?a de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores" (Foreign Ministry), and finally
f) to the US Embassy.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Mr. Guzman

I have my In Extensa de Divorcio, Pronunciamiento de Divorcio from the Oficialia del Estado Civil, but for my purposes, in the DR, they need it to be legalizado.

Fabio J. Guzman said:
First, what do you mean by "divorce decree"? The ruling from the Court ("Sentencia de Divorcio") or the registration of the ruling at the local Civil Registry ("Pronunciamiento de Divorcio")? You will not be legally divorced until the registration ("pronunciamiento") takes place.

Second, what do you mean by "legalizaci?n"? Do you need the document to be acknowledged as valid by the local authorities in the DR or by a foreign jurisdiction?

If you want to take back to the US both the "sentencia" and the "pronunciamiento", it will go like this:

a) certified copy of the "sentencia" from the Court,
b) certified copy of the "pronunciamiento"' from the "Oficial?a" (Civil Registry)
c) "pronunciamiento" copy goes to Junta Central Electoral for verification,
d) both go to the "Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica" (Attorney General's Office),
e) both go to the "Secretar?a de Estado de Relaciones Exteriores" (Foreign Ministry), and finally
f) to the US Embassy.