Cigarettes and smoking

Rockkon

Mar 6, 2004
Hello,

How much are cigarettes in the Puerto Plata area? Do they carry Winston and is there a comparable domestic brand?

Also, please, what are the attitudes towards smokers? Can you smoke in bars and restaurants? Do hotels offer more than one ashtray per room?

Thanks,

Rock (one of a dying breed)

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Rockkon said:
Hello,

How much are cigarettes in the Puerto Plata area? Do they carry Winston and is there a comparable domestic brand?

Also, please, what are the attitudes towards smokers? Can you smoke in bars and restaurants? Do hotels offer more than one ashtray per room?

Thanks,

Rock (one of a dying breed)

A pack of marlboro is 40 pesos, less than a dollar US. Smoking is allowed in bars and most restaurants.
Most dominicans don't smoke, and you might find some people that don't like smokers. But in general there is no problem with that down here.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
I was in the DR a few weeks ago. A pack of Marlboro Red was between 35 & 45 pesos depending on where I bought them. Smoking was permitted just about everywhere (even in the airport) but I still tried to respect non-smokers.

MCM

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Be aware

The smokes you buy in the DR are not the same quality that you will get in the U.S. or Europe. They are not bad, just not the same. Try a pack of the national brand while you are there.

Another interesting thing is, If you venture out into the neighborhoods you will find that you can buy anything from a single cig. to a carton.

Charlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
314 pesos a carton of 200 Marlboro

at Tropical Supermarket, Puerto Plata. Local brands, Lider & Nacional are cheaper (& smokable, too).
You are not permitted to smoke in Supermarkets or dental/doctors' surgeries. Everywhere else is ok. Years ago, I used to extinguish my cigarette before going into the butchers, until one day they noticed & told me it wasn't necessary to waste the cigarette!!
It is TOTALLY different from New York, where some idiot tried to stop me smoking OUTSIDE JFK airport before I went in to board a long, no smoking transatlantic flight. The "idiot" happened to be armed & in uniform, but must have liked the cigarette smoke because he kept following me as I (sensitively) walked away from him so he would not be inconvenienced by my smoke!!

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Just one of the things I like about the DR

You can smoke just about anywhere, though of course, we try to respect the comfort of non-smokers around us. One thing I wanted to mention though, is to please clean up after yourself on the beach. There is nothing more annoying than seeing cigarette butts all over the beach. Even if your do use the sand to stub out your cigarette, pick them up and throw them in the trash when you are ready to leave.

Rose

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
There is no smoking in most clubs in the Capital. In fact, since not many locals smoke, is a tale-tale sign that the person is a tourist.

Rockkon

Mar 6, 2004
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info.

There is no smoking in any buildings in California and they just passed an ordinance saying there is no smoking on the beaches here.

While I agree we should respect non-smokers there is a danger of giving away too many rights.

Story Here

Rock

Last edited:

Rockkon

Mar 6, 2004
Lambada said:
It is TOTALLY different from New York, where some idiot tried to stop me smoking OUTSIDE JFK airport before I went in to board a long, no smoking transatlantic flight. The "idiot" happened to be armed & in uniform, but must have liked the cigarette smoke because he kept following me as I (sensitively) walked away from him so he would not be inconvenienced by my smoke!!

Once, when all this nonsense started, I was well lubricated and smoked a cigarette in the plane's bathroom. The smoke detector did not go off and since I did not tamper with it (which is what is against the law) they let me de-board with a minimum of hassle.

I haven't done it since and I am not sure what the exact law is now.

Rock

Beatnut

Jun 4, 2004
a large box everywhere in DR varies from 40-45

a media from 17-20

a single cig goes for 3

you can smoke where ever the hell you want

''The smokes you buy in the DR are not the same quality that you will get in the U.S. or Europe. They are not bad, just not the same. ''

LMAO, thats retarded. you just want to feel better about sheeling out 5-7 dollars for your brand, ahhahahahhaha. its the same cigs but cheapers. sucks for you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Winstons taste good like a Prime Minister should!

Actually,Winstons were made here for a while. That is, until the Marlboro people bougt the head of the state-run group of companies that oversaw the TAbacalera and he, in turn, closed down the publicity campaign that was being used. Cut them off at the knees.

While I abhor cigarette smoke, I love cigars. No chemicals and good, rich aromas....no inhaling.

As for substitutes for Winston>? Try Montecarlos, at one time they owned 94% of the Dominican cigarette market. Dominican cigarettes are blended the same way the major brands are done in the States or the UK, however, because the tobaccos are grown locally, there are different tastses.

HB- who says you can smoke just about anywhere, but use your head.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Dear Rockonn,

Winstons are available in the Puerto Plata area. Our company is the distributor for JTI products in the Dominican Rep., and we sell to several stores in Puerto Plata`s Centro de Convenciones and Sosua. However, they are more expensive that local cigarrettes due to taxes. Please note, that If you want to buy the cigarettes in order to take them to your homeland, you can buy them at the Airport in the Duty Free Stores, at a great price. e-mail If you have questions.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Bad taste

Beatnut said:
LMAO, thats retarded. you just want to feel better about sheeling out 5-7 dollars for your brand, ahhahahahhaha. its the same cigs but cheapers. sucks for you.

I have been smoking 3 packs a day before you were born and I can remember when they were $.25 per pack. I swear the most I have ever paid was $9.00 per pack. They were delivered to my table by a topless waitress and charged to my credit card.

By the way I am not retarded, only my taste buds are, so be careful what you put in you mouth.

Charlie

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
we always buy the local brand Nationale by the carton. It's around $8 US. they also have Marlboro in the stores. The only think I don't like is they don't have Ultra Lights - just Lights. When you're use to smoking only air, those Lights about killed me the first couple of packs.

Don't get them at the duty-free in the airport. they're alot cheaper in the grocery stores, even the little minit mart/gas stations are the same price as in the stores (in the Sosua area).

Beatnut

Jun 4, 2004
chuckuindy said:
I have been smoking 3 packs a day before you were born and I can remember when they were $.25 per pack. I swear the most I have ever paid was $9.00 per pack. They were delivered to my table by a topless waitress and charged to my credit card.

By the way I am not retarded, only my taste buds are, so be careful what you put in you mouth.

Charlie

hahaha, oh he got offended. who cares when you started smoking or who brought it to you or what it was charged to, you digressed from the fact that the quality is the same n your smoking has gotten to the point that youre addicted to paying more for what you think is better quality, when youre smoking the exact same chemicals as i am.

ps: learn not to get so touchy on the internet, i never meant to call you a retard.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Roll my own

Beatnut said:
hahaha, oh he got offended. who cares when you started smoking or who brought it to you or what it was charged to, you digressed from the fact that the quality is the same n your smoking has gotten to the point that youre addicted to paying more for what you think is better quality, when youre smoking the exact same chemicals as i am.

ps: learn not to get so touchy on the internet, i never meant to call you a retard.

Thanks for your apology, although smokes. in the DR sure taste deferent to me. Maybe it is because I roll my own.

Charlie

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Welcome to Real Freedom!!!

When that pilot says "Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the Dominican Republic" you can consider to finally have reached real freedom.

In the DR (as you will find out soon) you can do pretty much anything you want. (exceptions are Drugs-you're caught, kiss your freedom and rights goodbye).

You can smoke where ever you want, but please be considerate. If there are kids around, try to not smoke in their vicinity, because even kids can buy cigarettes here. But aside from that, its fine where ever you want.

Also, don't take a picture of the airports or government buildings and don't take a picture of military personnel or police guards, its illegal and they do have the right to confiscate your camera if they feel they have been recorded. Also, its illegal to wear military looking clothes. Enjoy the DR!!

Rockkon

Mar 6, 2004
Thanks folks

Well, here's what I pay now. $41 USD per carton at USA grocery stores. During a few trips to Canada I was able to get 2 cartons in the Duty Free at $22 USD.

I tried a few cartons from www.smokeforless.com (or whatever) which turned out to be shipped from Switzerland at $16.00 per carton.

I did notice a difference in taste in the Switz cigs.

My wife and I can pick up a total of 4 cartons (at $88) on our way to DR or we can wait and get 10 cartons of Nationale, if we like them.

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Beatnut said:
a large box everywhere in DR varies from 40-45

a media from 17-20

a single cig goes for 3

you can smoke where ever the hell you want

''The smokes you buy in the DR are not the same quality that you will get in the U.S. or Europe. They are not bad, just not the same. ''

Marlboros here are not the same as american Marlboro. But I think the ones made here are better than the american made ones...maybe it's just me.
When I go to the states I quit smoking just because I don't like the taste of american tobacco. Again...maybe it's just me.

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Actually,Winstons were made here for a while. That is, until the Marlboro people bougt the head of the state-run group of companies that oversaw the TAbacalera and he, in turn, closed down the publicity campaign that was being used. Cut them off at the knees.

While I abhor cigarette smoke, I love cigars. No chemicals and good, rich aromas....no inhaling.

As for substitutes for Winston>? Try Montecarlos, at one time they owned 94% of the Dominican cigarette market. Dominican cigarettes are blended the same way the major brands are done in the States or the UK, however, because the tobaccos are grown locally, there are different tastses.

HB- who says you can smoke just about anywhere, but use your head.
Montecarlos are REALLY BAD... they make me wanna puke.