I need your input.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I want some ideas for new subjects and features for this mars/venus forum which have absolutely nothing to do with sankies or anyone warning people about them. That subject has been well covered.

So post some ideas and Robert and Dolores will see if sub forums can be added on.

Post your ideas here.

Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Etiquette

How about a sub forum on dating and social etiquette for those people who are wanting to meet Dominicans on a level having "nothing to do with sankies".

Regards,
PJT

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
PJT said:
How about a sub forum on dating and social etiquette for those people who are wanting to meet Dominicans on a level having "nothing to do with sankies".

Regards,
PJT

Yes that would be an idea.

What about things like

Weddings...... where to get married, ministers/prists to contact or even wedding stories ect.
But of course non of the usual bashing would be allow.

Come on people I'm beginging to think you really do like those sankie stories :devious:

Give me some hints. Anything to make this a little more fun and different.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
PJT said:
Regards,
PJT
And possibly include names of SAFE & REPUTABLE restaurants where those wishing to meet up could do so in a "Chaperoned" type environment?? Could get more restaurants advertising in the 'Directories' section! - Grahame.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
How about Consulate/Visa questions? All about the process of bringing your sankie, oh I mean your girl or boyfriend back to your country. Including some lawyers and processes needed.

Another idea, not sure if it will be in this forum tho. Contacts, general lawyers, doctors (i.e. surgeries, including plastic; dentists, derm. etc). This may be too much bandwith (like Robert would say).

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
How about....

something that will list places to go and things to do such as secluded beaches, great spots for viewing the mountains or secret hide aways other than cabanas.

Tracy

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Tracy said:
something that will list places to go and things to do such as secluded beaches, great spots for viewing the mountains or secret hide aways other than cabanas.

Tracy
Wouldnt that go into the travel section?

This is and will be just the sankin and puta forum.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Keep the ideas coming and we'll sort them out later.

The heading under mars/venus says
For all those people chasing, dating or married to a Dominican. Friendship, Love, Sex, and Marriage

So anything to do along those lines that are DR related info for newbies.

The marriage subject doesn't seem to get many answers in other forums and maybe we can put together a list of where, how and who to call.

The visa subject is good too because often posters don't get much of an answer or are bashed for asking how to get one.
Maybe people can post the visa process they've experienced. The ins and outs and helpfull hints.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
How about...

a forum where people could post their dining experiences at lesser known establishments. Something more personal or specific than the Lonely Planet, Frommer's type of establishments that are constantly reviewed there. Could be as simple as

Name of restaurant/bar
Food quality (bad/average/good/excellent)
Drink quality (watered-down/decent/strong but good/ice cold Presidentes dressed like a novia)
Service (bad/okay/good/excellent)
Price by DR standards (cheap/average/expensive)
Type of crowd (tourist/local/chic/etc)
Music (live o dj/merengue y bachata/foreign/etc)

I just think it would be a great way to centralize this kind of information.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
Keep the ideas coming and we'll sort them out later.

The heading under mars/venus says
For all those people chasing, dating or married to a Dominican. Friendship, Love, Sex, and Marriage

So anything to do along those lines that are DR related info for newbies.

The marriage subject doesn't seem to get many answers in other forums and maybe we can put together a list of where, how and who to call.

The visa subject is good too because often posters don't get much of an answer or are bashed for asking how to get one.
Maybe people can post the visa process they've experienced. The ins and outs and helpfull hints.

It seems like all the popular ideas have been already mentioned. How about a sub forum to discuss the Dominican character and the problems one may encounter in the difference in background, etc.
Example: What does he/she really mean when they say this.....
What do dominicans look for in a mate? What do they expect of their spouses, etc.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Ideas

How about better ways to communicate with your lovers and new friends in the Dominican Republic. English to Spanish, Spanish to English assistance, I use 3 way calling with a bi-lingual natural Spanish speaker to communicate.

Better ways to send gifts or money
The true nature of the Dominican family structure. Do I want to be a part of it?
What exactly are you looking for in a Dominican mate?
Let?s say it is love, so what is the next step?
The 12 step program when it all falls apart.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
here are a few ideas...hope they help!

Anna here are but a few ideas ...glad to see some diversity coming to the forum.

PERSONAL SAFETY: The DR is one of the safest destinations but there are a few common sense practices to follow for a great stay on this beautiful island. Subjects could include everything from street travel to safe sex and everything in between. Great for residents of the DR to give solid good advice for the timid tourists.

THE BLISSFUL MARRAIGE: Stories of the life and times of people living in the DR with thier families. Family life and things to do when living thier long ro short term.

THE GAY LIFE: This forum would give information to the gay bisexual and transgender tourists who seek a fun and positive gay environment in the DR.

FROM THE MOUTHS OF BABES: Stories about the kids of the DR. How they live and thier perspective on life on the island. Stories could be related by the parents or directly by the kids. Good clean fun and we all might learn something!

SHOP TILL YOU DROP: A comprehensive guide to the best deals in the DR. What to buy, where to buy it and what to avoid. Can encumpus everything from the best amber to the best place to buy a house!

SEX IN THE CITY: (Screened taboo forum) The realities of this industry.

HELPING HANDS: Who to call in an emergency. What to do and common sense approach to handling yourself in those sticky situations. Can also be a way to reach out to the residences for information on assistance.

WHAT'S HOT AND WHAT'S NOT: Pop culture in the DR. From music to fashion and everything in between. The latest updates on cultural events, fashion, art, books, carnival, new restaurants, and latest trends that get carried in the culture of the DR.

CULTURAL ATTACHE: moderated by embassiy contacts in the DR for pertinent information and laws in the everchanging culture. Can give answers to direct questions regarding rules of conduct while in the DR, what you can bring in or out of the country direct from your country of origin to name a few examples. A great way for ex-pats to help out those from thier home countries as well.(also would be great to have questions answered in the home language)

POSTCARDS: A single fun filled photo of you and your family on the island. Does not have to be an album but would be a fun and some times funny forum to watch out for. (Like when you went scuba diving and lost that bikini!, or the raccoon tan on your face when you spent the whole day in the sun!)(Single photo and caption only) Lots of funny posibilities and good practice honing your computer skills.

SPORTS FANATICS: Updates on recent events on the world of sports!. Great way to keep the ex-pats informed on current events.Can lead to interesting discussions and definitely a debates forum! (Inspired by my trip at Christmas where every Canadian in the resort was looking for the latest hockey scores!)

Hope these help develop new forums, and look forward to future reading! Great idea Anna for trying to keep things fresh!
Toby

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Men Only

How about a MEN?S ONLY place where we can say what we really think. We can bash the opposite sex with out fear of repercussions. We can post the best spots to pick up hookers. Have our own gallery of photos of our Dominican conquests. We can brag about how drunk we got with out our women ever knowing what we did.

We could share ideas on how to best cheat on our wives or girlfriends with out getting caught. Better ways to protect ones self from STD?s. Create a buddy system for iron clad alibis. Create a is she the best point system. Post the names of hotels that rent by the hour.

I think you get the picture.

Oh yes, you can have a Female only section.

Charlie

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
chuckuindy said:
How about a MEN?S ONLY place where we can say what we really think. We can bash the opposite sex with out fear of repercussions. We can post the best spots to pick up hookers. Have our own gallery of photos of our Dominican conquests. We can brag about how drunk we got with out our women ever knowing what we did.

We could share ideas on how to best cheat on our wives or girlfriends with out getting caught. Better ways to protect ones self from STD?s. Create a buddy system for iron clad alibis. Create a is she the best point system. Post the names of hotels that rent by the hour.

I think you get the picture.

Oh yes, you can have a Female only section.

Charlie

It would sure put a end to all those euphemistic posts from guys looking "nice ladies" or "best place for single guys." When they really want to find the hos?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
My vote.

I have to submit my vote for the visa info. I met my wife in Santiago and we married in Villa Gonzalez. I am always getting asked 2 questions:1; What's it like being married to a Dominican?
2;How do I get her a visa?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh boy!!!

Anna Coniglio said:
I want some ideas for new subjects and features for this mars/venus forum which have absolutely nothing to do with sankies or anyone warning people about them. That subject has been well covered.

You don't know in what you got yourself into!!!!!!!!!!. Read on!! :p

angie.k.s

May 5, 2004
Marriage in Santo Domingo

Any advice for finding a civil judge or justice of the peace? How far in advance? We won't be using a hotel, and expect to get married July 2. We're staying at the Hamaca Coral. Any chance at finding a bilingual one? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
angie.k.s said:
Any advice for finding a civil judge or justice of the peace? How far in advance? We won't be using a hotel, and expect to get married July 2. We're staying at the Hamaca Coral. Any chance at finding a bilingual one? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

You can probably get a judge to do the service on short notice. What might take a little longer is the "carta de solteria". The official letter that says niether of you are married to someone else. Mine took 4 days. But money greeses all Dominican wheels. Like they say "con dinero, baila el perro".

angie.k.s

May 5, 2004
Matrimonio

stewart said:
You can probably get a judge to do the service on short notice. What might take a little longer is the "carta de solteria". The official letter that says niether of you are married to someone else. Mine took 4 days. But money greeses all Dominican wheels. Like they say "con dinero, baila el perro".

Any tips on going about finding a judge? Courthouse/city hall - anyone have any phone numbers?