Homosexual Marriage?? Tourism Bonanza??

T

TiberiusMineola

I am following the extenisve debates, political manuevering, etc. in the USA since the Supreme Judicial Court of Mass. decided in May 2004 that all homosexual Mass. residents had & have a constitutional right to wed. A 4-3 decision.
Suggestion: would it be to the financial, if not cultural, advantage of the DR to legalize homosexual marriage for all, regardless of nationality? Thousands of homosexuals seeking wedded bliss would flock to the DR; a minimum 3 week physical stay in the DR would be necessary to establish "temporary residency" & to comple the disgorgement of $. Since foreign marriages are honored in the USA, all Dominican performed homosexual marriages would be valid in the USA!! Food for thought? Potential economic benefits for an increasingly poor 3rd World Country? Thank you, Hippolito! How many homosexuals would return to the DR annualy, or perhaps every 5 years, to celetrabrate their wedding anniversaries? Repeat business. Special packages? Special resorts? Can you hear the cash registers ringing? More jbos for DRs! I don't think that the Catholic Church would support my well meaning suggestions; it has the right to disagree, perhaps on reasonable theological & historical grounds? Perhaps not? But solely civil marriages for homosexuals? Perhaps, with a US $75. / person surcharge to surrport the electrical industry, thereby guaranteeing lights & electricity for the wedding ceremonies? It could benefit all of us expatriates! Assuming all of us use electricity & are fed up. A stupid idea? The DR has been rendering the same services for divorcing foreigners, including Americans, for decades; all such DR divorces are recognized & honored by the American legal system. Same principle. But, . . . more money! Why not? Food for thought! Anything to lose?

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
I don't think that the Catholic Church would support my well meaning suggestions

I agree with the idea, it certainly would increase tourism. But I think you answered your own question (above quote).

I have noticed that alot of gay couples do choose the DR as a safe destination already. I was in Las Galeras 2 months. I saw ALOT of gay couples there. You would think abuse of gays would be higher here, but I didn't see that. It may be because they are carrying $$$, or possibly because people don't have time to protest moral issues here (to busy protesting the govt. and light issues).

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
I love the idea, and if it actually worked out that the DR did that, I have a lot of friends who could have some cute non-traditional weddings in paradise.(I always say that if that new DOMA act passes, the only "traditional"/straight wedding I'll be able to go to is my own!)...

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I think there are better ways to create earnings in the DR , than trying to pander to gays who want to get ""married"".

I would prefer to support laws in the DR preventing this situation, so gays looking for this would look elsewhere.

Last edited:

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
Laws, laws, laws. Let's just make a law that prevents anyone from enjoying themselves or from deciding how to live their lives. Then, you will have the perfect country. Just wondering, who do you put in charge of all of these laws. A General, King, President, Dictator, or YOU?

Most of us came here for MORE freedom, not less. If you want to argue about gay marriage, go to the US. There are protests in every city at least once a month. Here there is only one problem, not gays or prostitutes, it's called poverty. If a guy can open a flower shop that caters to gay marriages here, he will, regardless of what he thinks about gays. He still has the freedom to make jokes at the domino table later.

But you want to STOP or PREVENT it. Like some gay people coming here on vacation is going to corrupt this pristine country. What are you thinking?

Ramlex

Feb 29, 2004
GringoCArlos said:
I think there are better ways to create earnings in the DR , than trying to pander to gays who want to get ""married"".

I would prefer to support laws in the DR preventing this situation, so gays looking for this would look elsewhere.
Like Canada for instance,where there are laws to protect people against gringo carlos and there kind.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
ustelephone said:
Laws, laws, laws. Let's just make a law that prevents anyone from enjoying themselves or from deciding how to live their lives. Then, you will have the perfect country. Just wondering, who do you put in charge of all of these laws. A General, King, President, Dictator, or YOU?

Most of us came here for MORE freedom, not less. If you want to argue about gay marriage, go to the US. There are protests in every city at least once a month. Here there is only one problem, not gays or prostitutes, it's called poverty. If a guy can open a flower shop that caters to gay marriages here, he will, regardless of what he thinks about gays. He still has the freedom to make jokes at the domino table later.

But you want to STOP or PREVENT it. Like some gay people coming here on vacation is going to corrupt this pristine country. What are you thinking?

Ever been to Denmark or Sweden? There you cand find out what it is like to have everything legislated, oh...about as da...boring places as you will find also

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Theres no government like no government.

If you ask me, laws should allow and protect any behaviors that aren't harming another. Beyond that, laws just result in paperwork, bs and restrict freedoms.

I see no problem with gay marraige. Its not my thing, but I have some gay and lesbian friends (two got married in Oregon and had it voided). Why should I not want them to be happy? I have heard people say, next people will want to marry goats, etc; these were some of the same arguements against interacial marriage a couple of generations ago and are as much bunk now as then. Others say marriage is to promote a family and about having children; then why can I (sterile, vascectomy) be married to my wife?

Besides, anything that helps tourism is good. And remember many gay men have a large disposable income, 2 full incomes and no kids...

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
They are called DINKs
Dual Income / No Kids

In the US they account for the largest portion of money spent in the adult entertainment industry. This fact dates back to last year's Internext convention, July 2003, at the Diplomat Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I agree that their money is as good as anyone else's.

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
gay couples

I also agree. DINKS, on the whole have more disposable income to spend-so why not spend it in the dominican republic? There are companies that provide "gay" cruises and "gay" vacations. Food for thought-a "gay" resort where a gay couple could come to vacation and spend money and if they wish-get married. Granted the Catholic Church would be appalled but this is tourism and tourism is good for the country and the people.

ustelephone said:
They are called DINKs
Dual Income / No Kids

In the US they account for the largest portion of money spent in the adult entertainment industry. This fact dates back to last year's Internext convention, July 2003, at the Diplomat Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I agree that their money is as good as anyone else's.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Against the cultural grain

Although Dominicans as a whole are liberal regarding gays, especially when they are foreign and 'rich', the whole gay-marriage thing goes against the cultural grain in the DR as well as all of Latin America.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Well....i would personaly love to get married in the D.R. (athough i think i could legaly wed in massachusets as i am from there and mom still lives there....but i live here in nyc).

But yeah....many places are marketing to the gay tourist.

By making gay marriage legal.....you would be attracting a "better" gay clientelle....people who want to celebrate their union...rather than going down there to go chico chasing.

Its an interesting idea.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
frank alvarez said:
Although Dominicans as a whole are liberal regarding gays, especially when they are foreign and 'rich', the whole gay-marriage thing goes against the cultural grain in the DR as well as all of Latin America.

I agree about the DR, but all of Latin America. You must have missed the news article a few days ago about the gay festival in Brasil. It was huge. Central America, yeh, I'd agree with you all the way there as well.

T

TiberiusMineola

Catholic Church?? Overcome its opposition??

Food for thought: 1 Supose that homosexual marraige were limited to foreigners only, both parties. This would minimize the potential harm to the Dominican institution of 'marriage' - civil or religious - assuming it exists in any significanct # of couples.
2. Impose a special "clerical surcharge" of US $150. per homosexual couple married in the DR, payable to the Church, & to be used only for aid to the Dominican poor; no DR govt. administration nor participation whatsoever.
3. Proper use of the funds by the Church subject to a U N audit every 5 years. 4. If the funds are misused in the reasonable judgment of the U N, the 'clerical surcharge' will be retained, but paid to the Haitian poor instead.
Stupid? Brilliant? I just don't understand?
The more cynical among you may consider this trying to "bribe" or "pay" the Catholic Church! Shame! Neither money nor wealth have never been important to the Catholic Church, in any country!! Ask the Vatican. The furthest thing from my mind! As I said, just food for thought.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
TiberiusMineola said:
Food for thought: 1 Supose that homosexual marraige were limited to foreigners only, both parties. This would minimize the potential harm to the Dominican institution of 'marriage' - civil or religious - assuming it exists in any significanct # of couples.
2. Impose a special "clerical surcharge" of US $150. per homosexual couple married in the DR, payable to the Church, & to be used only for aid to the Dominican poor; no DR govt. administration nor participation whatsoever.
3. Proper use of the funds by the Church subject to a U N audit every 5 years. 4. If the funds are misused in the reasonable judgment of the U N, the 'clerical surcharge' will be retained, but paid to the Haitian poor instead.
Stupid? Brilliant? I just don't understand?
The more cynical among you may consider this trying to "bribe" or "pay" the Catholic Church! Shame! Neither money nor wealth have never been important to the Catholic Church, in any country!! Ask the Vatican. The furthest thing from my mind! As I said, just food for thought.

The cynical, like myself, think we are spinning this beyond what this forum is capable of. It is a great topic, and a lot of great ideas have been shared. That being said, it's really up to Dominicans (registered voters & politicians), to debate and decide what the future laws of this country will be. I believe it would be a good thing, but I also wouldn't bet a peso that it will happen in our lifetimes.

Last edited: