Article from Trinidad Express

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
thick_neck said:
Positive, but the author associate Leonel with the PRD.

I noticed that... D.Jessop usually writes good stuff, I guess we are all allowed a second break ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I forgave him for the 'grave' error --- as the rest of the piece made good sense.

It is interesting that L is intending to (re-)establish closer ties with the English speaking Caribbean specifically. I've been noticing for a while that the DR is a little independent in terms of its geographic area. We do business with the Caribbean as a whole and generally find that most folks here in the DR, are woefully ignorant about their geographic location.

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
I agree that it's not a big error.

I like the fact that Leonel is looking towards Brazil, but Dubai? What could they possibly need from the D.R.?

Will Caricom look towards Leonel as a possible member and leader?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It would seem that Leonel is beating the bushes for that elusive quantity know as "Investment Capital".
Dubai, for one if I remember correctly, was on the verge of investing some 4.5 Billion in the mega Port Project at Manzanillo and backed out when it was discovered that the DR was, even in 2000, very deep in debt to almost all of the international lending agencies. They told the Hipolito government to call them when their debt was a little more managable.
I migt add that one of the items that would make sense on the international market is the rice that is grown here. The Arab nations also use rice as a staple in their diet.

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keep in mind that Dubai has some of the wealthiest people on earth, with practically everybody (including foreigners) living quite comfortable. They have a very arid and sad looking desert and its horribly hot in the Summer. They are also the most westernized Arabic country and the most acceptable of Westerners and its culture. In addition to that, Dubai Airlines has a fleet of Airplanes capable of flying 250 passengers non-stop from the dusty and steamy streets of Abu Dabi to the tropical paradise we all know as the Dominican Republic.

Arabs are just now (especially Dubai's people) discovering the Caribbean, it makes sense to get them "hooked" on the DR first so that the DR would become that "Classic" destination everyone must see, kind of what the Bahamas or Jamaica is for the Americans.

Also, we witness a big scare with crazy Chavez suspending our oil supply leaving our energy havoc country to quiver. Having oil rich friends who tend to be loaded (ie. Dubai) is not such a bad thing.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Dubia

Years ago I was in the Port of Al Fajara in the UAE. I saw Australian Ships pulling into port with Live stock to be slaughtered locally. There were full of produce as well as grain.
The DR has the Size as well as the population to be the bread basket for one or two farm poor money rich countries.
Another thing to look at in the long term. If English was taught in school more then the DR may be able to compete with the Philippines for the top dog spot for the Blue collar workers in the Middle east.
The Philippine population is so large in many of the oil producing countries that the local radio station do the community service messages in Tagolog.
If the super port could happen then what was being discussed in another thread about transshipment could happen.
John

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think Leonel has the right ideas of how to pull his country out of the massive economic maelstrom that has beset the country.
He is approaching the problem by going directly to those countries who can provide the necessary economic infusion and provide increasing stability. And he's using sales techniques that have proven substantially correct in the past.
I think he recognizes that in order to turn this country into a tourist mecca, he must first provide the infrastructure to support just that. It seems to me that his goals are primarily of the "long range" variety: 1) Provide consistent electrical energy to the public, the industrial base, and to the tourist scenario; 2) Provide for a more loosely organized trade medium with all countries; 3) Take steps to focus the world attention on the DR recovery cycle, thereby generating a more solid foundation of trust. 4) Stabilization of the Banking community and creating confidence in it's ability to serve the needs of industry, tourism and the public.
Although he hasn't addressed the issue of the reduction of the government payroll, he has instituted studies, on local levels, as to just what the makeup of personnel should and will be. While that, by itself, doesn't solve the problem immediately, at least it's a step in the right direction if followed up on properly.
I think we must also realize one thing at this point. That is this. Westerners are very ambitious and aggressive by nature, while Latins are not, as a rule. It is this intrinsic difference that must be addressed and turned around, if possible, in order to facillitate a long term economic correction. The element of aggressive salesmanship must be applied universally and consistently by those Dominicans in charge and their efforts must be directed inwardly and outwardly at the same time in order to effect the changes and progress required for success.

Texas Bill

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I apologize in advance for my prejudices.

The article was very positive, thanks for the link. I am sorry if I digress.

I for one do not like the connection between Clinton and Saudi Arabia. I can only imagine it is another Clinton amoral synergy.

Most Americans realize that the Saudis are most responsible for the tragedy on 9-11, either directly or indirectly. A suspected political move, of the US, was to be in Iraq to be close to the ?head?, on the auspices that the US was looking for WMD.

If the Saudis were interested in a Mega Port project $4.5 billion would be background noise to them and an acceptable loss. I doubt it was on the table.

After occupying Iraq, it gave US oil engineers time to properly predict the supply of oil in the region. Peak oil production at current rates will occur in 7-10 years in the Arabian Peninsula. Way shorter than anyone could have figured remotely. Now with an ?empty? date of 50 years, where do these people go? They can?t eat sand. Not saying they?ll come to the DR.

Unless the Saudi 3000 years of human rights violations, especially against women, do not change, I for one do not want to be subjected to their way of life.

Sorry again, and as clich? as it may sound years after, I will not forget or forgive.

Gary

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
apples and oranges.

Comparing Saudi to Dubai is like comparing PR to DR. Just because the same language ,religion and region does not make it the same.
John

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Gary
I worked for Eastern Airlines back in the 40's at Hobby, Houston airport and recall an incident that has stuck in my mind ever since.
I believe it was Ibn Saud, then Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, who was visiting the various oil companies headquartered in Houston, who was REFUSED seating for his entourage in the Main Lobby of the Terminal because he was considered to be Black. He very politely allowed his group to be seated in an obscure area where the circulation of cool air was non-existant. He appealed to the management a little later for a change of location and was refused outright. I'm sure such treatment did not set well with him at the time, but he accepted such as part of OUR way.
When I hear about "human rights violations" supposedly perpetrated by others, I think about that demonstration of our own "violations". Additionally, it was only in the 20's that the US began to allow women the right to vote, hold public office, etc.
Then I begin to think about our society's subjugation and bellittlement of the former slaves and their subsequent anticedents by our society and think just what the He&& are we talking about when we accuse OTHER nations of "human rights" violations. We fail to remember that MLK led the "black" world out of subjugation just 45 years ago! So, I say, let's lean up our OWN act before we point our "holier than thou'er" finger at others!
So, in light of those scenarios, to name but three, I think our own "holier than thou" approach to human rights requires a very great deal of introspection before we attempt to force it on others. This whole scenario on human rights has it's place in the scheme of universiality, but must be viewed from the standpoint of being a very young movement within universal society that requires a great deal of cautionary implimentation.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".
Now, after that off-thread commentary, lets get down to brass tacks and discuss just what the DR has to offer to the rest of the World in light of it's economic recovery.

1) Farm products. The DR is primarily an agrarian society and has plentiful vegetables that can be canned and shipped to foreign consumers. It has a plentiful rice production capability which can overproduce and the surplus shipped to those same consumers.
2) Organically grown Bananas, melons, etc. that are currently being shipped in large quantities to both Europe and the US. That market can be expanded to other parts of the world.
3) An infant fish farming industry, which if properly managed and expanded, can provide for both the domestic and foreign market demands of those products. I know of a couple of guys in Luperon who have the business plan, the land committed, etc. and who are looking for investors for the project. If anyone is interested, contact me for reference.
4) Opportunities for foreign investors abound. This country is at the bottom of an economic situation which sends itself to a broad horizon of investment and future growth.

I could go on and on, but that would require a book to be written and i'm just not scholar enough to do that.

Think about these things optomisticaly. Pessimism is the road to failure, while optomism is the road to success. That's got to be a paraphrase by someone (?). Anyone know who???

Texas Bill

Last edited: