The road to high-paying jobs in DR

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Time and again I read posts from newbies seeking employments in DR. The recent debate on RD$9000/month part-time job also got me thinking. I thought I'd share what I've observed during the 5 years living here so far.

By and large, highly-paid foreigners in DR tend to fall into these categories:

1. Independent investors. These are business owners who have either accumulated significant capitals from their own countries before coming here or have been successful since setting up in DR, or both. In other words, resourceful entrepeneurs.

2. Intra-company transfers: middle to upper managers at Citibank, Shell, Scotiabank....and other multinational companies that land a job here through HR manuevers in their home countries. These jobs are almost always paid in US$, Euro or other hard currencies. Significant perks (housing stipend, country club membership, insurance, paid flights home one or twice a year..) are usually included.

3. Diplomats: embassadors, consuls and high-ranking diplomatic attach?s. They are deployed by decree of their home government, often by the president/prime minister him/herself. Same perks as No. 2 apply, but extend to include chauffeurs, diplomatic license plate and internationally recognized immunity privileges.

4. Contract professionals: consultants, technicians, skill-specific instructors....etc. They are here in DR working on time-specific or subject-specifc projects. From days to weeks to even months.

Notice that none of these jobs are "on-the-table", meaning you can just walk in the office, deposit a r?sum?, interview and land it. These are pre-arranged and pre-negotiated. It often requires that you are already at certain job level in the home country to be eligible.

I think the most critical aspects are PROPER CHANNELS and RIGHT CONNECTIONS instead of INTRINSIC QUALIFICATIONS. I can think of thousands more qualified than I am yet are only paid a fraction of my keep while thousands more get paid multiples of mine but have only a fraction of my credential. This is just the way of life in DR.

I do not know what the road to high-paid jobs are for Dominican nationals. Perhaps somebody else could follow-up ? I'd like to see the differences/similarities.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
This misses the bigger picture. The DR is in an economic crisis. Therefore you cannot expect international standard high paying jobs.

Silicon Valley in California was like this a couple of years ago. There is no way you could have gotten a high paying job there in 2001/2002 - and there's more billionaires there than just about anywhere else in the world. Everywhere has its turn.

If you want high paying jobs, you need to go to the places which are having an economic boom. Its as easy as that.

Now if you're running your own business, its another story, of course. But you asked specifically about jobs.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
You missed my point

Adrian:

I'm not seeking a job. I fall into one of the categories I just posted. I was just offering my observations based on my personal experiences because I come across all these post asking about good jobs in DR.

Sure there are high-paying jobs in DR. There are TONS of them. Some of them belong to DR 1 posters. But they are closed to most conventional job seekers. That's all. Just like what you said about the Silicon Valleys.

In the best of times, there are people getting fired. In the worst of times, there are people who make millions. Nothing is absolute.

By the way, how long have you lived and worked in DR ?

adrianb said:
This misses the bigger picture. The DR is in an economic crisis. Therefore you cannot expect international standard high paying jobs.

Silicon Valley in California was like this a couple of years ago. There is no way you could have gotten a high paying job there in 2001/2002 - and there's more billionaires there than just about anywhere else in the world. Everywhere has its turn.

If you want high paying jobs, you need to go to the places which are having an economic boom. Its as easy as that.

Now if you're running your own business, its another story, of course. But you asked specifically about jobs.

project9

May 29, 2004
You hit the nail right in the head. For us dominicans the road to a high paying job is knowing the right people. Go study to the PUCMM or UNIBE meet a lot of rich kids and when you graduate, your skills and knowledge will be almost irrelevant compared to your connections.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
project9 said:
You hit the nail right in the head. For us dominicans the road to a high paying job is knowing the right people. Go study to the PUCMM or UNIBE meet a lot of rich kids and when you graduate, your skills and knowledge will be almost irrelevant compared to your connections.

And you hit the nail right on the head. This sums up exactly why the DR remains a 3rd world country.

I love this quote:

"meet a lot of rich kids and when you graduate, your skills and knowledge will be almost irrelevant compared to your connections"

The USA is as economically powerful as it is, precisely because this doesn't matter. Skills and knowledge are FAR more important over there. Its not WHO you are, its WHAT you can do.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My friend your list is not complete.........

Formosano2000 said:
Time and again I read posts from newbies seeking employments in DR. The recent debate on RD$9000/month part-time job also got me thinking. I thought I'd share what I've observed during the 5 years living here so far.

By and large, highly-paid foreigners in DR tend to fall into these categories:

1. Independent investors. These are business owners who have either accumulated significant capitals from their own countries before coming here or have been successful since setting up in DR, or both. In other words, resourceful entrepeneurs.

2. Intra-company transfers: middle to upper managers at Citibank, Shell, Scotiabank....and other multinational companies that land a job here through HR manuevers in their home countries. These jobs are almost always paid in US$, Euro or other hard currencies. Significant perks (housing stipend, country club membership, insurance, paid flights home one or twice a year..) are usually included.

3. Diplomats: embassadors, consuls and high-ranking diplomatic attach?s. They are deployed by decree of their home government, often by the president/prime minister him/herself. Same perks as No. 2 apply, but extend to include chauffeurs, diplomatic license plate and internationally recognized immunity privileges.

4. Contract professionals: consultants, technicians, skill-specific instructors....etc. They are here in DR working on time-specific or subject-specifc projects. From days to weeks to even months.

Notice that none of these jobs are "on-the-table", meaning you can just walk in the office, deposit a r?sum?, interview and land it. These are pre-arranged and pre-negotiated. It often requires that you are already at certain job level in the home country to be eligible.

I think the most critical aspects are PROPER CHANNELS and RIGHT CONNECTIONS instead of INTRINSIC QUALIFICATIONS. I can think of thousands more qualified than I am yet are only paid a fraction of my keep while thousands more get paid multiples of mine but have only a fraction of my credential. This is just the way of life in DR.

I do not know what the road to high-paid jobs are for Dominican nationals. Perhaps somebody else could follow-up ? I'd like to see the differences/similarities.

I know of many Dominican Nationals who have been Reps. selling tours or other things that are now making American $$$$$$$$$$$ 10.000 per month US. Selling Timeshare............... and that is a fact jack!
So anything is posible here with the right direction and training.....This is a very hard and stressfull job but the rewards for the very few who qualify are endless!
I have been living here now for 16 years and challange anyone who thinks that I'm full off Sh** to take the challange if of course you have the Balls!

Gringo

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
There are sucessful people everywhere and everyone that has made a point has made a correct point for some people.

Adrian is about the most negative and scared person I have met here. Totally in fear of his own shadow when it comes to being a business man and developing business in the DR. That is why his DR business comes from outside the DR. I am sure he will do fine at what he does and he will be a sucessful person in his field but to not include the DR and to just live in the DR and enjoy its ups and downs severely limits his ability to get ahead. I hope that he opens his mind one day.

I truly believe that money and I mean serious money can be made in the DR in many ways and many ways I can't even imagine. I think this country is just as ripe for a good business person as any other place in the world now.

Scott

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Escott said:
There are sucessful people everywhere and everyone that has made a point has made a correct point for some people.

Adrian is about the most negative and scared person I have met here. Totally in fear of his own shadow when it comes to being a business man and developing business in the DR. That is why his DR business comes from outside the DR. I am sure he will do fine at what he does and he will be a sucessful person in his field but to not include the DR and to just live in the DR and enjoy its ups and downs severely limits his ability to get ahead. I hope that he opens his mind one day.

I truly believe that money and I mean serious money can be made in the DR in many ways and many ways I can't even imagine. I think this country is just as ripe for a good business person as any other place in the world now.

Scott

I absolutely agree with you Scott, (steady now, just this once) its irritates me too this man criticizes so many including myself when he hasnt got the ba..s to have a real go. There is a lot of money to be made here, you just have to have the complete positive attitude and determination to work hard and get it. I have been thinking for a while about another venture this place is screaming out for, but I want to take things easier, maybe later. But the opportunities are there without a doubt. :chinese:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Adrian is about the most negative and scared person I have met here. Totally in fear of his own shadow when it comes to being a business man and developing business in the DR.

Gee, thanks. I'm glad I made the effort to go see you and take you to dinner a while ago.

Since you're so bullish on the DR, why don't you share with us what % of your assets are here?

That is why his DR business comes from outside the DR. I am sure he will do fine at what he does and he will be a sucessful person in his field but to not include the DR and to just live in the DR and enjoy its ups and downs severely limits his ability to get ahead. I hope that he opens his mind one day.

You are right; it was harder for me to get started.

But now, I can choose where I work. Its equally easy for me to work with the US market or the DR market. So, I choose the US. Personally, I like US dollars.

I could also switch to another economy if I wanted. I like the flexibility.

Ladybird: In the other thread, I intended nothing negative towards you, and I apologize if I came across that way. Your experiences with the generator are exactly why I prefer to avoid business in the DR.

Last edited:

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Very interesting thread!

When I re-located from Scandinavia to the Middle East, I cut my workload in half but quadrupled my salary! Just an example of how the cookie can crumble...

Connections, skills, luck etc... So very many factors involved!

Remember this: You are never more successful than other people allow you / want you, to be! I think DR is not much different fromanhy other country, being a place inhabited by people.

I guess the trick is to be openminded, talk to "everybody", be imaginative and never ever give up.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Voyager said:
Very interesting thread!

When I re-located from Scandinavia to the Middle East, I cut my workload in half but quadrupled my salary! Just an example of how the cookie can crumble...

Yep, thats what I consider a very smart move. Probably your taxes were vastly reduced, too. Its interesting you still consider Saudia Arabia to be a safe country; thats certainly not the perspective we get from the news - I guess the reports are a bit misleading.

China could be an interesting place to work in the future. I may move to Hong Kong later on to see how life is there; thats an explosive part of the world right now.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
adrianb said:
Gee, thanks. I'm glad I made the effort to go see you and take you to dinner a while ago.

Since you're so bullish on the DR, why don't you share with us what % of your assets are here?.
Jesus man, I was just saying how I felt about your take here which I disagree with. Thanks for the dinner but didn't I pay the bill? If I didn't I am sure I have bought my fair share and more anyway.

All the assets I have that were/are liquid are in the country. Probably 40% at this point of what I can call my own are here now. What difference does that make anyway? I go to the states and take as much as I can back every trip as funds become available.

adrianb said:
You are right; it was harder for me to get started.

But now, I can choose where I work. Its equally easy for me to work with the US market or the DR market. So, I choose the US. Personally, I like US dollars.

I could also switch to another economy if I wanted. I like the flexibility.

Ladybird: In the other thread, I intended nothing negative towards you, and I apologize if I came across that way. Your experiences with the generator are exactly why I prefer to avoid business in the DR.
You can always choose where you work. Just like you can always choose which country you will live in. I can also but evidently we both like it here for one reason or another.

You can make US Dollars here in the great Dominican Republic or Pesos or what ever you choose to earn. I also choose to make US Dollars here in the DR simply because I don't want to earn more pesos than I can spend.

Ladybirds experience with the generator sounds amazingly similar to your experience with an inverter was it? She ran into problems because she didn't know who to ask just like you didn't and got screwed and glued just as you felt you did.

People that network right here on DR1 have a far greater chance of NOT getting screwed as you have learned yourself and just as you now offer help to others. Now that you are more firmly planted test out the waters and see if you don't fare better than you did at first.

This isn't the worst place in the world to do business, you just have to have a better understanding of how things are done here. If you were looking for an inverter now I would send you to Mr. Mike and know 100% that you were in good hands and wouldnt get screwed by the person that sold it to you and the lawyer you hired to reclaim your lost money.

I hope we are still friends and can disagree. I have always helped you when you needed it and would in the future. That doesn't mean we have to agree on everything, right? Jesus man even Ladybird agreed with me today and JanH agreed with me regarding Banco Popular problems. Actually having either of them agree with me I find a bit embarrassing anyway! LOL

I just find myself reading a lot of what you write and shake my head in disagreement. I have to reply to what I feel is bad advice.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Internet...

Well paid jobs??

Anybody here that have heard about Internet?? :confused: You can do exactly the same thing here ,as in other 10-times-more-expensive-countries.

Translations, programming, web designing etc etc.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
shsssssh

Escott said:
Jesus man, I was just saying how I felt about your take here which I disagree with. Thanks for the dinner but didn't I pay the bill? If I didn't I am sure I have bought my fair share and more anyway.

All the assets I have that were/are liquid are in the country. Probably 40% at this point of what I can call my own are here now. What difference does that make anyway? I go to the states and take as much as I can back every trip as funds become available.

Scott be careful, this man has just found out more about your assets and the % that you wouldnt normally have given, if you werent cross, cool it, go back to insulting me,, that way you wont post anything personal, luv ya u old fa.t xx ....

You can always choose where you work. Just like you can always choose which country you will live in. I can also but evidently we both like it here for one reason or another.

You can make US Dollars here in the great Dominican Republic or Pesos or what ever you choose to earn. I also choose to make US Dollars here in the DR simply because I don't want to earn more pesos than I can spend.

Ladybirds experience with the generator sounds amazingly similar to your experience with an inverter was it? She ran into problems because she didn't know who to ask just like you didn't and got screwed and glued just as you felt you did. tranquil

People that network right here on DR1 have a far greater chance of NOT getting screwed as you have learned yourself and just as you now offer help to others. Now that you are more firmly planted test out the waters and see if you don't fare better than you did at first.

This isn't the worst place in the world to do business, you just have to have a better understanding of how things are done here. If you were looking for an inverter now I would send you to Mr. Mike and know 100% that you were in good hands and wouldnt get screwed by the person that sold it to you and the lawyer you hired to reclaim your lost money.

I hope we are still friends and can disagree. I have always helped you when you needed it and would in the future. That doesn't mean we have to agree on everything, right? Jesus man even Ladybird agreed with me today and JanH agreed with me regarding Banco Popular problems. Actually having either of them agree with me I find a bit embarrassing anyway! LOL

I just find myself reading a lot of what you write and shake my head in disagreement. I have to reply to what I feel is bad advice.
Again I agree by all his varied posts