whats up with jetblue?

spiderman

Jun 17, 2002
Jet blue is changing their early morning 6.50am jfk to sti flites, instead their now only going to fly out of jfk at 9.30 pm :( mybe this is because its cheaper at this time.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Jetblue currently has round trip flights from JFK to STI for $158. AA still has a way to go to catch up to them.

Also Jetblue's fleet is brand new. Twice in the past month I've been 3 hours late because AA had mechanical problems and had to put us on another jet.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Jetblue currently has round trip flights from JFK to STI for $158. AA still has a way to go to catch up to them.

Also Jetblue's fleet is brand new. Twice in the past month I've been 3 hours late because AA had mechanical problems and had to put us on another jet.

just to clarify

the 158 does not inlcude taxes

you are talking at least another 107 bucks

overall, it is still a great deal.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
spiderman said:
Jet blue is changing their early morning 6.50am jfk to sti flites, instead their now only going to fly out of jfk at 9.30 pm :( mybe this is because its cheaper at this time.
Maybe, because JB has to share and borrow terminal space from the major carriers.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gringo in dr said:

I just bought for 77 which is 154 RT so AA just broke JB:)

I have never had a bad flight on AA although that is not true for everyone else especially the one that landed in the ocean but I will stick to AA for the convienence of Puerto Plata Airport which is 8 minutes to my home IN TRAFFIC as opposed to traveling to Santiago!

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Escott said:
I just bought for 77 which is 154 RT so AA just broke JB:)

I have never had a bad flight on AA although that is not true for everyone else especially the one that landed in the ocean but I will stick to AA for the convienence of Puerto Plata Airport which is 8 minutes to my home IN TRAFFIC as opposed to traveling to Santiago!

I personally use AA because I fly to CT and Jetblue only flies to NY. I live in Santiago, that is why I fly to STI.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Jimmydr said:
Where is Bdl?

Now thats a crime!!!

Bradley International in CT. It's only 20 minutes from my parent's house which is on the CT/MA border. It would be about a 3 hour drive from NYC so I would rather pay their highway robbery fee.

Apr 26, 2002
Escott said:
I just booked a one way flight for 77 US on American which was 118.65 con taxes. Looks like they are going to try to Squeeze JB out of town.

Yes, Scott, the squeeze is on. Looks like the DR market is REALLY IMPORTANT to AA. Usually, the big guys just match the low cost airlines on selected flights and selected days - giving only the impression of matching fares. But AA is matching JetBlue step for step. This is very good for DR travellers for as long as it lasts.

I had always heard that the DR market was one of the most lucrative for AA. Perhaps that is why.

Was this a suprise to JetBlue or had they planned for it? In either case, given that JetBlue's operational costs are much lower than AA's (meaning they are probably at least breaking even while AA is losing a ton in these fare games) and that JetBlue is very well capitalized, they may outlast AA after all.

BTW, my 1:50 a.m. JetBlue flight to JFK last night was absolutely FULL!!! Given that AA was selling tickets for the same price for flights leaving at sane hours, this just goes to show you the power of marketing - at which JetBlue excells.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Freight

AA flights can run at any load factor profitably as long as the zona franca freight requirements continue and there is no reason to think otherwise. Empty of full of passengers an A300 with a belly full of Tommy Hilfiger parts in/pants out will make a fine buck.

spiderman

Jun 17, 2002
ports maybe?

ricktoronto said:
AA flights can run at any load factor profitably as long as the zona franca freight requirements continue and there is no reason to think otherwise. Empty of full of passengers an A300 with a belly full of Tommy Hilfiger parts in/pants out will make a fine buck.

Wouldnt free trade zones save tons using ships to export instead? the dr is a small island so transportation time and expenses to and from the ports isnt a hassel.