Taking appliances from US to DR ???

R

Rafael Arriaga

I will be moving to DR. I am Dominican and I can get a customs exemption but my questons is it is worth take appliances such as refrigerator, stove, microwave oven, or any other electrical appliance to DR or I can buy them there and save on shipping. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Rafi

L

Loren

I took a microwave and ceiling fan over, I saw the exact same models on sale for the roughly the same prices. The selection is not as good, and you will find better discounts in the US. If you already own the stuff, take it if its not too expensive to ship. If you're going to buy it, maybe wait until you are down here. Real fancy high end stuff might be harder to find, but the basic stuff is easy enough to find. All the major brands, too.

Warranty considerations are also a good reason to buy things once you arrive. US warranties may not be any good.

J

J.

Some DR stores won't do on site service. We bought my mother and father-in-laws a ner refridgerator and had no repairs at the house. Take it back to the dealer or get someone to come to the you at an extra cost.. Just ask lots of questions and read all the fine print. We found major brand name appliances in Santo Domingo and the considering purchase price, shipping and duty, it would be better for some to buy in DR and it also supports the local businesses (too many ssssssss's ???) J.

C

Charlie

I found the prices for appliances similiar to that in Canada. I bought a large gas stove for less than 4000 pesos.

G

gio

My former sister-in-law and brother-in-law were moving back to the Domican Republic st my brother-in-law's insistence. He left a good job, but he is a smart man who accrued a nice savings account in the DR and had a house built there. They brought all their appliances with them. My sister-in-law said that she had to have her conveniences and he agreed so he had them all shipped over. Everything was great. They moved out of the crappy Washington Heights apartment with the human bloodstain and bullet hole on the front door, they left all the roaches, the kids didn't have to play basketball in the hallway anymore. They moved to the DR. She had her conveniences, a home of her own, he had his farm and his animals, and he was a happy man. Their appliances made the trip just fine and all worked upon arrival.

D

DAVIDA

Sounds great do you know what shipping company they used and whether or not they shipped door to door, and the approximate cost? thanks