What is an appropriate gift?

kimmikatt

Aug 7, 2004
Hi- I am new to this site and just registered, I hope I am posting this question on the right board.
My fiance and I are getting married in a little over a week in the Dominican Republic. We live in the US, and have never been to the Dominican Republic. We can't wait! Anyway, the woman who has helped us with the wedding planning has been terrific. We would like to give her a gift when we see her. Is that OK? We want to show our appreciation, but we don't want to offend her either. What kind of gift would be appropriate? We will give her a cash gift if that is best, but we were thinking we could get her an actual gift and bring it with us.
Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Nice one Gringo - but I think Kimmikat was looking for soething that was Attainable rather than something that might never happen!!

We have always found that a GOOD perfume does the trick - something they can show off to their friends that they have been given from a Gringo/Girnga friend. What do you know about this woman? Does she have children that might appreciate some clothes? Money is ALWAYS useful to a working Dominican BUT, something more personal might be more appreciated by her! How about a night out for her & her (immediate) family?

IF you get the chance, try to go up to her home & take some food (& drink) for the family. MOST of all, show her your appreciation by remaining a friend after the wedding & staying in touch with her. Dominicans LOVE to talk of their friends outside the country, especially the ones that stay in touch!! - Grahame.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
I would say a small bottle of cologne upon arrival. If you hired her as your wedding planner for fee, then a 10-20 percent tip would be appropriate depending on your satisfaction. If she is just an associate helping then definately a cash offer should be extended.

I would not get off the plane with a cash gift in hand before the wedding ceremony.
TEHAMA

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
John

P.s. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
johne said:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
John

P.s. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

John,
12 years of living here & being involved with locals has PROVED to me that a timely & well thought out gift is FAR more important than $$$$$$$'s. THAT is the easy way out & is shown/received as such!! Soemone did me a good turn some weeks ago & I showed my appreciation at the time with a little extra cash - dumb silence!! A week later I gave her a small present of a miniture handbag (I had noticed her collection in her house) & she was over the moon with gratitude!!

Dominicans do not have much, but they DO have their PRIDE & would prefer a thoughtful gift every time over cash - even if they were centaboless!!! Cash is almost an insult to them - it says "I know I should give you something but as I don't know what to get, I'll just give you cash instead!!".

Come on, think of the culture here before saying that cash is the answer to all their requirements!! Take a couple of chickens from the supermarket (RD $300 or so) & a couple of bottles of rum (RD $200) & you'll get a MUCH better reception than US $50 cash EVERY TIME!! - Grahame.

GreyGhost

Jun 4, 2003
very wel said

BushBaby said:
John,
12 years of living here & being involved with locals has PROVED to me that a timely & well thought out gift is FAR more important than $$$$$$$'s. THAT is the easy way out & is shown/received as such!! Soemone did me a good turn some weeks ago & I showed my appreciation at the time with a little extra cash - dumb silence!! A week later I gave her a small present of a miniture handbag (I had noticed her collection in her house) & she was over the moon with gratitude!!

Dominicans do not have much, but they DO have their PRIDE & would prefer a thoughtful gift every time over cash - even if they were centaboless!!! Cash is almost an insult to them - it says "I know I should give you something but as I don't know what to get, I'll just give you cash instead!!".

Come on, think of the culture here before saying that cash is the answer to all their requirements!! Take a couple of chickens from the supermarket (RD $300 or so) & a couple of bottles of rum (RD $200) & you'll get a MUCH better reception than US $50 cash EVERY TIME!! - Grahame.

BB, you are absolutely correct. As we all could use money, it will be spent and gone! Even if it is well spent! ( That is unless you are a tightwad and squirrel away every little acorn.)

A gift of personal nature will hit home and last far longer than cash $$$. Even if it is just the memories of a chicken dinner and the party of the Brugal rum.

The thought in the gift is what counts and your intentions, not because it was the right thing to do!

GG

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yeah Right

GreyGhost said:
BB, you are absolutely correct. As we all could use money, it will be spent and gone! Even if it is well spent! ( That is unless you are a tightwad and squirrel away every little acorn.)

A gift of personal nature will hit home and last far longer than cash $$$. Even if it is just the memories of a chicken dinner and the party of the Brugal rum.

The thought in the gift is what counts and your intentions, not because it was the right thing to do!

GG
You are entitled to your opinion--howerver I disagree.
Have a GREAT day.

JOHN