Changes in Presidente Beer?

Apr 26, 2002
With the new Presidente label came a change in the listed ingredients. "Sugar" is now a listed ingredient. It was not before. So, my question is: Did the beer always contain sugar and they decided not to mention it on the label until now, or has sugar been added recently as part of a recipe change?

Last edited:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Bad Beer

The fact that tourists and chopos drink Presidente does not make it a good beer.
Presidente is lousy beer.
Always has been.
Adding sugar to it will only make it worse.

M'frog

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
mountainfrog said:
The fact that tourists and chopos drink Presidente does not make it a good beer.
Always has been.

M'frog

While this is more or less opinion, there are many, including myself, that believe Presidente is one of the best beers in the world.

Many of the chopos drink mgd because presidente is too strong for them.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
I'm not much into beer, but I thought Presidente was one of the better I have had. I actually drank one and had another, which I haven't done in years.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am a beer lover and Presedente is a very good beer. Not a great beer but a very good one. I hope they didn't change the ingredients. I doubt they would.

Larry

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I don't know about "always", but I have known they use sugar for a good 5 years. I suppose they are just willing to "sincerize" (Dominican politicians lingo) the list of ingredients.

Check this just for fun.

Beer

There is really no bad beer, some just better than others, Presidente is one of the better ones and best in the DR.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true rather than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I think the reason Presidente is so good is because the Dominicans drink it so fast it is always nice and fresh. Imported beers take so long to get here and get slapped around in containers along the way they can't compete. Also the higher alcohol content means you can get it colder without it freezing.

Experiment for all you kids at home: Put Presidente in your freezer next to a bottle of whatever other beer you have and check it every 10 minutes or so. When the Presidente is at the perfect temperature for drinking, the other beer will have frozen and exploded.

Disclaimer: Children should never play with exploding beer bottles in the house unless they are SURE their parents are not home.

Apr 26, 2002
Pib said:
I don't know about "always", but I have known they use sugar for a good 5 years. I suppose they are just willing to "sincerize" (Dominican politicians lingo) the list of ingredients.

Check this just for fun.

Remembering that Presidente is really a joint venture of SAB Miller and E. Leon Jimenez, the following from Pib's referenced website is most interesting:

"Miller Lite contains propylene glycol alginate, water, barley malt, corn syrup, chemically modified hop extracts, yeast, amyloglucosidase, carbon dioxide, papain enzyme, liquid sugar, potassium metabisulfite, and Emka-malt, whatever that is"

PROPYLENE GLYCOL?!?! Well, that MIGHT explain why a bottle of Presidente doesn't explode when you freeze it.

Seems to me that the only thing worse than not listing the ingredients is to partially list them. That said, the list of Presidente ingredients on the new label might be complete with the addition of the reference to "sugar". Nobody I know, including me, thinks that the taste has changed.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I'm not beer expert, but isn't sugar what gives the beer its alcohol content? Thus every beer has sugar in it.

Apr 26, 2002
NY1 said:
I'm not beer expert, but isn't sugar what gives the beer its alcohol content? Thus every beer has sugar in it.
Not exactly. Every beer forms sweetners as part of the malting and fermentation process. When "sugar" is listed on the label, though, this means that the brewer is actually adding sugar to the recipe.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I've attempted to make beer at home a few times and each recipe has required some sort of sugar. Some required brown sugar, but the majority required molasses or malt extract, which is not sugar as we know it, but has the required "sugars" in it for the beer's alcohol content.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hlywud said:
There is really no bad beer, some just better than others, Presidente is one of the better ones and best in the DR.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true rather than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.

Wud, this post is so inspiring... really, I ... sorry, too choked up to continue.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hlywud said:

Hlywud, you are a very wise man. Much can be learned from you.

Larry

Thanks Larry

As I sip on a Stella Artois, no Presidente available here in Canada.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."

Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away.
What care I how time advances:
I am drinking ale today.

-Edgar Allen Poe

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
mountainfrog said:
Always has been.

Really................ ?

Which beers do you prefer M Frog?

Personally.......i love Presidente but everyone is different obviously.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
The better beer ...

IMHO is
Bohemia Especial.
Of course it's a matter of taste.

M' frog

P.S.: Well, I'd really prefer Bavarian beers and I do miss
them here but sometimes one has to settle for the
second best ....

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Maybe it's all in my mind.....

but, yes it does taste a bit less "hoppy", and does not have the same aroma I remember or maybe they add yunk additives to satisfy FDA import mandates. Presidente is a great brew but does not seem to taste as great here in MD. as it does in DR.