jobs in tourism

vaquita

Aug 20, 2004
Does anyone know what the job market looks like in the tourism business (restaurants, hotels, bars etc) for people who are bilingual in spanish/english. Would it be hard to find a job in tourism without a work visa? :cool:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
You might want to check what the archives have said in the past.

If you are bilingual that is a plus - especially if you are fluent in both.

Word of advice - finding a job from afar is nearly impossible and once you get there you have to make contacts to find a job in tourism. Don't burn any bridges right away you never know who can help you out - but at the same time don't fall for everything. Getting to know people (dominican and foreigners) who already work in tourism is a great help - they are the ones who are in the inside track.

anonymous1960

Jul 7, 2004
vaquita said:
Does anyone know what the job market looks like in the tourism business (restaurants, hotels, bars etc) for people who are bilingual in spanish/english. Would it be hard to find a job in tourism without a work visa? :cool:

What country are you from?
If you are form a first world country, forget the job thing and come on vacation.

A few pointers: here there are TONS and TONS of bilingual people. Half the Dominican people live in the US. A substantial amount of young people ( = low paid) are deported from the US, for belonging to gangs and/or dealing with drugs. They will be your coworkers. Just as you don't need a work visa, they don't.

Let's see, do they need you here? Wages are especially low in tourism, try US$90/month. Yes, that's per MONTH for a person with a university degree in tourism (or an ex drug dealer, here it's the same). And, even with that salary, most of them are unemployed. How much did you want to make, again?

Of course it is very difficult that they will give you private medical insurance. So, my friend, it's the public hospital for you. Let me give you an interesting piece of news: A few weeks ago, they had to urgently bury any corpse who was in most country's hospital morgues. Why? Because hospitals had no power, corpses were starting to rot. Not that it was a problem, but the reek was unbearable.

As a newcomer, your first contact with locals will happen with prostitutes (men and women, men also "do" men). Of course they will forget to tell you that they are prostitutes. You might eventually decide to forego protection during intercourse. They will also forget to tell you that when working, they will happily oblige when a customer will offer to pay double the price for sex without a condom. Good luck!

Should you need more details, I will try anything in my written power to make sure you know what you're facing.

vaquita

Aug 20, 2004
anonymous1960 said:
What country are you from?
If you are form a first world country, forget the job thing and come on vacation.

Let's see, do they need you here? Wages are especially low in tourism, try US$90/month. Yes, that's per MONTH for a person with a university degree in tourism (or an ex drug dealer, here it's the same). And, even with that salary, most of them are unemployed. How much did you want to make, again?

I realize the pay is bad but I'm not really doing it for the money. I wanted to go to the dr for a while, more for an adventure/challenge for myself before i start med school in a year (and have to study all the time). I have saved some money but would like a little income, even if it's crapy. I'm not planning on living the high life. I will be so much in debt after med school that nothing I earn will seem like a lot. I would like to work for the experience and to meet people (even if they're not friendship material). I really appreciate your feedback (anonymous1960) and would like more from anyone. I realize my experiences won't all be good but i see that as part of a challenge to myself...am I crazy? :nervous:

anonymous1960

Jul 7, 2004
vaquita said:
I realize the pay is bad but I'm not really doing it for the money. I wanted to go to the dr for a while, more for an adventure/challenge for myself before i start med school in a year (and have to study all the time). I have saved some money but would like a little income, even if it's crapy. I'm not planning on living the high life. I will be so much in debt after med school that nothing I earn will seem like a lot. I would like to work for the experience and to meet people (even if they're not friendship material). I really appreciate your feedback (anonymous1960) and would like more from anyone. I realize my experiences won't all be good but i see that as part of a challenge to myself...am I crazy? :nervous:

I am doing this myself.
I think working (or trying to work) here will enrich you greatly.
You will find another dimension to life, totally separated from money. (I am assuming you are from the US). The Dominican underclass lives in a world to itself, it makes you really think about what life is about. And you will probably meet extraordinary people. At the same time, you will be able to appreciate the effects of neoliberalism without control nor limit.

Have fun!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, it will enrich you greatly. And if you go hungry a few times, it is no big deal. We forced ourselves to live off Dominican salaries 11 years ago. Not easy. But what we gained was enormous plus the respect of people who know what it is like to be hungry for a lot longer than we were. They are still our friends, & they are not envious that our circumstances have changed for the better. Makes you very humble. Good luck.