Status of Malecon Center

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Does anyone on the board know the current status of the ambitious Malecon Center Project in Santo Domingo? Has the construction succumed to the general maliase this summer in the DR with lack of power and cash? The hotel, shops and state of the art cinemas were all scheduled to be open in 2005. Any info would be appreciated.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
I spoke to someone of the Hilton Malecon Center a month ago. The hotel is now predicted to open early 2005. Apparently the investor, which is the same for the hotel, appartment towers and shopping mall, wants all parts to be completed at the same time and so spreads the money which is causing everything to be delayed. The general economic crisis does not help either I suppose.
Bartolomeo67

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Last time I went by it looked pretty completed from the outside. Not much activity though. But should be impressive when completed...

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Thanx for the replies all, I guess the operant theme is like most projects these days in the DR "hurry up and wait".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Golfer said:
Does anyone on the board know the current status of the ambitious Malecon Center Project in Santo Domingo? Has the construction succumed to the general maliase this summer in the DR with lack of power and cash? The hotel, shops and state of the art cinemas were all scheduled to be open in 2005. Any info would be appreciated.

For one thing, its now a feature of the Santo Domingo Skyline! Its huge, can be seen for miles along the malecon and it looks pretty finished. If anything, they are finishing a few touches on the inside of the hotel, the mall and the third tower. They are already selling some of the apartments in the two towers facing the sea.

Go to the link below and click on places. Then click on Malecon and search through the photos. There you'll get a nice picture of the Malecon Center structure.

Of course, if you are in the DR, just come down to the capital! You can't miss it once you hit the water front!

www.soydominicano.com