i cant be the only one.....

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
my favorite part of going to DR..other than actually being there..is that little process of getting there.

staying up late...getting in a car at 3:00am on a monday driving half an hour to JFK to catch the first American Airlines flight out to DR at 7am. those 3 little letters "SDQ" (and 4 those of us that know what it means u know why its important) bring up so many emotions in my heart....watching the sunrise in the airplane knowing that god willing in about 3 and a half to 4 hours you're going to be in a place very close to if not paradise....this feeling of uncontrollable mixture of joy, exhaustion and love. as we speak i'm getting goosebumbs just thinking about it.....and when u get off the plane that thick hot dominican air...that tropical air that smells like its saturated with coffee, grass, nature, ocean...pure air.

i gotta stop...i'm gonna end up crying if i dont..... :hurt:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
and then in about 7 days when your plane lands back in your cold rainy hometown you feel so depressed that you just lay in bed and think to yourself: 'how can i make enough $$$ to go there and chill for the rest of my life'. yep i know the feeling.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
DRInMySoul and liam1

You are not the only ones. There is at least one more, me. For weeks before I go to DR it is all I can think about and dream about. When I finally get there I feel very happy and that feeling stays during the whole stay.

...but when the last day comes and I must go back home again, I feel very sad and depressed, because I'm not ready to leave yet. When I'm back home in my cold, dark and rainy country I'm still depressed and feel "homesick" for DR. I feel that way for weeks.

Now I just have to wait 5 more days and I will be back in DR and feel happy again.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I know the feeling. For me I leave Detroit (after barely sleeping the night before) and it's all fine. Then I get to Miami or New York and the anticipation becomes even stronger as you start seeing all these Dominicans that like you are going down to the mother country. The other great part is after you land and come into the airport and they receive you with Perico Ripiao and a shot of rum, makes you feel like start dancing. Then to top it off you come out onto a sea of people all extremely excited waiting for their relative, boy/girlfriend, etc...to come out of customs. You finally find the person (carfull of people) waiting for you, load your ten suitcases onto the little Corolla and pile in with all the people that came to pick you up. Head down Avenida La Americas and crack open the first Presidente. What a great feeling...it's all euphoria for the next week or so.
Then eventually that time comes when you have to return. The days have gone by so quickly...You land back in Detroit and as you're driving down I-94 you look to the frozen tundra outside your window and wonder once again what the hell am I doing here? Then remember...oh yeah I need money to retire down to The DR...lots of it. That's what I'm doing here...Ten more years...

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
you are not alone---

I too travel back and forth from the DR to Canada, and when I get back to Cda, and freeze my butt off while I walk to work in the cold, I think there has got to be another way! But as I walk to work I realize I am walking towards the paycheque that is putting me on the next plane back to the DR, within two months. It sucks, but I will ahve to make do, until i can move there for good. I make the most of each trip to my future home, and work towards getting there for good! :bunny:

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
nostalgic :-(

i'm feel comforted to know that the Dominicans i know and i arent the only ones going through this incredible mixture of emotions. i've asked myself time and again "what IS IT about DR that makes me feel this way?" ..when i was a little girl i used to hate it over there...probably becuz i never went with my dad..only me and my mom...but in 2001 i got that the chance to and i fell in love with that island in a way that i never thought possible." i asked mother this question about two nights ago and her answer was "because that's where your roots are..." eventhough i know this and i've contemplated this so many times it didnt completely hit me till then. i was born and raised here in the US all my life....but DR is my home...my family, my roots, my history sprouts from those emerald green hills and were nurtured by those spontaneous yet glorious rain showers. that hot caribbean sun warms that land and my spirit...

i went in june of this year..eventhough i didnt have the time of my life becuz of different events that occurred, that doesnt spoil my vision or love for that glorious place one bit. its torture having to wait another year in order to step foot my paradise. as i have my nose buried in a book this year as i start my first year of college...my mind and heart will be sitting on a bench in "El Conde" or perhaps roaming the streets of "Ensanche Ozama" ..i gotta stop again...i'm starting to tear...

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Today I got a phone call from a friend in DR whom I haven't talked to for a few months. Now he called and told me he had heard rumours that we are coming in a few days and is looking forward to see us. Such a phone call makes you feel good.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
In my other life...

DRInMySoul...if what your mom says is true, I must have lived in the Dominican Republic in another life... :cheeky: because I feel exactly the same way about a month before I travel and definetely 3 months after I come back!!!

And I was born in Uruguay, and raised here in the United States!!!

As a matter of fact, I am DUE for another trip really soon!!! Maybe October... :nervous:

Last edited:

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
Musicqueen said:
DRInMySoul...if what your mom says is true, I must have lived in the Dominican Republic in another life... :cheeky: because I feel exactly the same way about a month before I travel and definetely 3 months after I come back!!!

And I was born in Uruguay, and raised here in the United States!!!

As a matter of fact, I am DUE for another trip really soon!!! Maybe October... :nervous:

tee-hee..lol u never know...reincarnation might just exist!!!

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Although I fully understand the sentiments expressed by the posters in this thread, I can't help but point out that this forum is named Airline Info....

mariposa

May 19, 2004
I am comforted

I feel comforted that so many of you feel the same as I do. When I go to DR, I feel at home, yes there are corrupted people, a lot of places suck, but you know what, it's home no matter how ugly it might get, that feeling is the most wonderful I could feel. But when I get back, boy am I in pain, it hurts just to think that I don't have the resources to be where I want to be for now....but sooon I will, si Dios lo quiere....

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
DRInMySoul said:
my favorite part of going to DR..other than actually being there..is that little process of getting there.

staying up late...getting in a car at 3:00am on a monday driving half an hour to JFK to catch the first American Airlines flight out to DR at 7am. those 3 little letters "SDQ" (and 4 those of us that know what it means u know why its important) bring up so many emotions in my heart....watching the sunrise in the airplane knowing that god willing in about 3 and a half to 4 hours you're going to be in a place very close to if not paradise....this feeling of uncontrollable mixture of joy, exhaustion and love. as we speak i'm getting goosebumbs just thinking about it.....and when u get off the plane that thick hot dominican air...that tropical air that smells like its saturated with coffee, grass, nature, ocean...pure air.

i gotta stop...i'm gonna end up crying if i dont..... :hurt:
Trust me I know that feeling, I am still feeling that feeling and am still in the "Dominican holiday withdrawal mode". I just got back last week. Everytime I go, Ii get attached to new dominican people I meet, the dominicans are lovely people!Except for me the flight from London airport is a lot longer than 3 and a half hours!I really wanna go back soon I am just a teenager and am really trying to persuade my dad to take me back soon-don't think I will b goin bk till april or sumthin tho-(sigh). never mind.eh?

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
mariposa said:
I feel comforted that so many of you feel the same as I do. When I go to DR, I feel at home, yes there are corrupted people, a lot of places suck, but you know what, it's home no matter how ugly it might get, that feeling is the most wonderful I could feel. But when I get back, boy am I in pain, it hurts just to think that I don't have the resources to be where I want to be for now....but sooon I will, si Dios lo quiere....

i feel exactly the same...eventhough there might be so much ugliness displayed by the corrupt politicians and other money hungry individuals..its heaven, paradise and most importantly home to me

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Now Dont Get Jellous

Hey guys i used to feel the same as you (NOW I LIVE HERE) however not in a resort town but in Sto Domingo a big city not much fun here but i like it better than MIAMI.

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
ERICKXSON said:
Hey guys i used to feel the same as you (NOW I LIVE HERE) however not in a resort town but in Sto Domingo a big city not much fun here but i like it better than MIAMI.

reppin' for la capital santo domingo!! ...sorry i just had to do that...i dont know a large amount of dominicans from Sto. Dom....well outside of my family..lol