Cab fare from airport to Breezes (POP)

hilljroberts

Aug 9, 2004
Hey help a gringo out. ;)

What should I expect as a cab fare from the airport in Puerto Plata to the Breezes Puerto Plata (which is really in Sosua or Cabarete I think)?

I just didn't want to get totally taken on it? Also, what's the expected tip for a cab driver there, I'm from New York so my cab driver impressions may be a little askew.

Thanks so much in advance for the responses! Hope y'all have recovered from Ivan, it looks like it was a monster. I'll be down there in a week to suffer through whatever else may come. Here's to hoping for sunshine! :nervous:

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
hilljroberts said:
Hey help a gringo out. ;)

What should I expect as a cab fare from the airport in Puerto Plata to the Breezes Puerto Plata (which is really in Sosua or Cabarete I think)?

I just didn't want to get totally taken on it? Also, what's the expected tip for a cab driver there, I'm from New York so my cab driver impressions may be a little askew.

Thanks so much in advance for the responses! Hope y'all have recovered from Ivan, it looks like it was a monster. I'll be down there in a week to suffer through whatever else may come. Here's to hoping for sunshine! :nervous:

Hi,
Expect to pay $20.00us dollars. A good tip would be $3.00, but not really neccesary. You will be tipping the baggage handlers who will load your suit case in the cab, not the driver. good luck.

3D-MENTAL

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 13, 2004
yeah crooks

Jimmydr said:
You tip these crooks?

dude I bet that if you were the baggage handler you would appreciate it.
consider that they have a family to feed, $3 dollars is good.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
3D-MENTAL said:
dude I bet that if you were the baggage handler you would appreciate it.
consider that they have a family to feed, $3 dollars is good.

$3 is just a little more than the maid was paid for an entire days work at the small Casa I stayed at earlier this year. Why would anyone tip $3 for carrying (or perhaps I should say hijacking) my bag for a 100 meter walk.

JMHO

Joe

Last edited:

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
CyaBye3015 said:
$3 is just a little more than the maid was paid for an entire days work at the small Casa I stayed at earlier this year. Why would anyone tip $3 for carying (or perhaps I should say hyjacking) my bag for a 100 meter walk.

JMHO

Joe

$15 from POP airport to Sosua. $14 from Laguardia to Whitestone in NY. Wow!!! They are crooks :bandit:

3D-MENTAL

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 13, 2004
so because one person underpays his or her employees it makes it okay for you to underpay everybody who comes to assist you... That's what keeps our country so poor and yours so powerful. If it was in the US you'd be talking about labor laws and it would be considered as abuse, right? I guess since you guys are better than the rest of the world you deserve it more than this people who make U.S$52 a month, right?!!. AMERICA is THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!! VIVA LOS GRINGOS... THEY SHOULD NOT PAY A PENNY!!! now that sounds better right?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
3D-MENTAL said:
so because one person underpays his or her employees it makes it okay for you to underpay everybody who comes to assist you... That's what keeps our country so poor and yours so powerful. If it was in the US you'd be talking about labor laws and it would be considered as abuse, right? I guess since you guys are better than the rest of the world you deserve it more than this people who make U.S$52 a month, right?!!. AMERICA is THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!! VIVA LOS GRINGOS... THEY SHOULD NOT PAY A PENNY!!! now that sounds better right?

"One person underpays his or her employees?" My understanding is that what I quoted was the going rate for a maid in the DR. I had nothing to do with way the economic system in the DR works, so don't expect me to through my money around just because you think were all "rich gringos."

3D-MENTAL

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 13, 2004
Jimmydr said:
Cabbies for the most part are CROOKS! Your own country keeps you people poor!!! I heard Jet Blue wanted to pay 50% more to its employees but was stopped by the government!

When did that happen??? please show facts, and if that is so I'll personally bring to attention!!! would you consider a person who is in a tight spot, trying to make a living with close no education with a corrupt government. knowing that the only way for you to make it would be to become corrupt yourself!!! is that a "crook"? where does that put you guys??? when you have a double standard... these people are "crooks" but is okay for the US object to a %25 percent tax on syrup imported from the US to benefit the Dominican farmers??? VIVA LOS GRINGOS!!! WE SHOULD PUT AN ALTAR FOR YOU GUYS... YOU ARE LIKE GODS... or should i say, you think you are>?<

3D-MENTAL

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 13, 2004
please don't get it confused... I love gringos but I don't like republicans.
I hate republicans. that's why talk with such sarcasm and hatred.
DEMOCRATS GOOD, REPUBLICANS NO GOOD. thank bush for my comments...
I DON"T HATE AMERICANS!!!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
3D-MENTAL said:
When did that happen??? please show facts, and if that is so I'll personally bring to attention!!! would you consider a person who is in a tight spot, trying to make a living with close no education with a corrupt government. knowing that the only way for you to make it would be to become corrupt yourself!!! is that a "crook"? where does that put you guys??? when you have a double standard... these people are "crooks" but is okay for the US object to a %25 percent tax on syrup imported from the US to benefit the Dominican farmers??? VIVA LOS GRINGOS!!! WE SHOULD PUT AN ALTAR FOR YOU GUYS... YOU ARE LIKE GODS... or should i say, you think you are>?<

I am starting a new topic!

hkuh

Sep 16, 2004
3-D thanks for clarifying that it's not all Americans that you hate - just the Republicans. I am an American getting ready to come to PP in a few days...just for the record, I feel the same way as you do. When I travel to places where the situation is the way it is in DR, I feel that it's nothing for me to give a few dollars here and there, but it really helps the people that are working to make my vacation pleasant...from cabbies to room service. I bring extra money just for tips because it's the right thing to do. I hope I don't run into that cheap, selfish poster when I'm in your country! I deal with them enough here in the US... GO KERRY!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
hkuh said:
3-D thanks for clarifying that it's not all Americans that you hate - just the Republicans. I am an American getting ready to come to PP in a few days...just for the record, I feel the same way as you do. When I travel to places where the situation is the way it is in DR, I feel that it's nothing for me to give a few dollars here and there, but it really helps the people that are working to make my vacation pleasant...from cabbies to room service. I bring extra money just for tips because it's the right thing to do. I hope I don't run into that cheap, selfish poster when I'm in your country! I deal with them enough here in the US... GO KERRY!

Did you know the average salary is around $120-$150 and the average taxi driver at Puerto Plata makes $600 -$700 a month. Really now, do they need your tip or mine?