Paleros/Conguistas(Drummers)

SugarBear

Oct 4, 2004
Anyone know of any Congo drummers in the Samana Province or in the cities of Villa Mella and Bani? I'm interested in those that know the "Bambula","San Pedro",and Special funeral ryhthms of Villa Mella.

Thanks. :classic:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
I read in my guide that October 24th Santa Barbara de Samana celebrates San Rafael with a procession through town and "Bambula" dancing on the malecon.
Bartolomeo

SugarBear said:
Anyone know of any Congo drummers in the Samana Province or in the cities of Villa Mella and Bani? I'm interested in those that know the "Bambula","San Pedro",and Special funeral ryhthms of Villa Mella.

Thanks. :classic:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Congo drumming is an almost extinct art in the DR. I suggest you consult with an expert, Dr. Luis Infante (809)849-4166

Mirador

SugarBear

Oct 4, 2004
Afro-Dominican culture

Thanks for Dr. Infante's number I will use it.Congo drumming is NOT nearly as extinct as believed.There are four major hubbubs where it is indeed strong:

(1) Samana Province-La Bamboula Ryhthms

(2) Bani-Sarandunga Ryhthms

(3) Villa Mella- Funeral rythms,listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site

(4) San Pedro de Macoris-La Bambouche,La Bamboula

Arturo Sanchez

Aug 22, 2004
who to contact

Start first at the Popular Culture center in the colonial district, just north of Plaza de Hispanidad and the Columbus mansion. They are open Monday through Friday. They can hook you up with a lot of people, including Boni Raposo, a drummer who is currently doing field research on this in the DR, as well as Dr Martha Ellen Davis who has done a great deal of academic research, and also Edis Sanchez, who lives I think around La Vega somewhere and is well known as the best Congo drummer in the Dominican Republic.

Arturo