PAN AM Shutting Down!!!!!!

Dilettante

Nov 25, 2002
Yup, you heard me correctly. Effective October 31 Panam will no longer exist. All Panam's flying, pilots and flight attendents will replaced by Boston-Maine Airways SCABS. If ANYBODY has a ticket for Panam on any flight I would call reservations NOW and demand your money back. There is a nearly 100% chance that your flight will not operate. You see, the U.S. District Court has issued a permanent injunction barring BMA from operating ANY Panam flights and barred the shutdown of Panam because the transer of flying represents a direct attempt to destroy a union and that violates the Railway Act. Dave Fink (Panam/BMA CEO)in his bravado, that is second only to his ineptitude as a CEO, will disregard this injuction on October 31 and shut down the Panam operations anyway.
Go to the Panam reservations website and try to find a Panam flight after Oct 31. There are none. Call the reservations line. They will say that a "new" schedule will be available monday Nov 1 for bookings. Ask who will be flying the "new" schedule and they will say that they are not sure. As of right now all flights on Pan am from Nov 1 to Nov 14 are cancelled. They will not operate. After that is a crap shoot. No schedule exists so nobody knows what will happen after that. Maybe the flight you booked will operate but I doubt it. Don't think for a minute that the Court will stand for this. I hope they find Fink in Contempt and throw his sorry *** in jail. Meanwhile the flying public gets the shaft. Business as usual at Panam/BMA

Don't say you were not warned.

Dilettante

Nov 25, 2002
Because the Dominican operation is not union I don't think anything will happen. This operations was set up to slide out from under an agreement with United when Pan am bought a bunch of 727's from them. Under the agreement Panam can not fly the new 727s in the US in scheduled service. To try to get around it panam set up panam dominicana that will operate as a carrier outside the agreement and can, therefore, operate the United 727s in the US. The idea came apart when the brain trust at panam discovered freedom rights. These dictate how airlines (flag carriers) can board and deplane passengers in different countries. Ooops. Now they are trying to squirm out of the agreement under the BMA certificate.

The saga continues.